The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:06:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Barker Street Irregulars case 1 Crowned Panic.  (Read 10451 times)
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #275 on: June 18, 2015, 06:11:03 pm »

"I think you are lucky you missed it Mal.  It was real bad.  The shadows men are working for the false Arthur.  I was trying to find out who was pulling the strings but then their were wings and the city was gone.  I guess I must have blacked out." Celia felt as if she had been run down by a carriage.  Slowly bits of her self were coming back after the the phantom trauma of the golden figures left.  Her hand was mobile again but it had no strength.  "Reid could you set me on the lounge. I think I will be all right but I have no clue how we made it back."

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #276 on: June 18, 2015, 06:24:07 pm »

Reid helped Celia to sit, and then explained about the two dream discussions he had enjoyed with the Morrigan.

"And then since I was willing to open myself up to her curse again, she brought us here." He finished.

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #277 on: June 18, 2015, 07:27:58 pm »

"This should be good." Yuki Onna said smiling towards Beety, she didn't know what the snow queen meant until she watched the ball of light more closely.The agitated ball of light bounced up and down more rapid and Beety got the impression of an argument in progress. As she watched, the ball split in two with a tendril linking them, the new ball turned into a werewolf that looked like a more savage single tailed version of James.
"I told you this would happen if we came back here but nooooo, you went and came back here anyway!"
The first ball formed into a partially transparent version of James. "Nothing was supposed to happen yet, the forces are still in exile for another few years!"
"You know as well as I do that they were already present, The Void Dragon has his forces everywhere!"
"Wolfen, you know that I don't posses any memories of before the black war, the information I have is from the books and journals written by the survivors!
The wolfen was about to say something in retaliation but the words froze on his lips as he caught sight of Beety, "We have an outsider" he hissed,
James turned around and caught sight of Beety and his shoulders dropped. He floated over to Beety and the Werewolf floated along with him. "I'm sorry my dear, I wasn't supposed to have brought you here yet but I had no choice!"

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #278 on: June 18, 2015, 09:15:52 pm »

"That's almost exactly what you said to me the first time we met",  Beety turned slightly towards The Wolfen "You, I think, might remember the occasion."  Trying to portray a calm she did not feel she produced an elegant painted fan
and mimed the actions of a flirtatious young woman. She didn't dare turn to see if the sounds coming from Yuki Onna were laughter or snorting rage.  Of course it could easily be both.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #279 on: June 18, 2015, 11:16:44 pm »

Celia looked at Reid utterly amazed.  "You did that for us?"  She had met many people in her line of work but very few were that selfless.  Her hand lingered on his and trembled when she tried to give a squeeze.  She would have hugged him but her right side had yet to come back to her. Her face darkened as she thought about what would happen next.  ,"She is going to come back.  And I know whatever she asks as a favor will be dangerous.  I wish Beety was here she has a way of thinking that can make even monkey paw wishes turn out right but she vanished in the blackness and what little of the city I can access can't find her."
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #280 on: June 18, 2015, 11:33:19 pm »

Reid blushed.  Working with a team was so complicated.  He wasn't used to being criticized or praised.   

"I will admit this to you, if not to her.  I never was convinced the meditation was protecting me.  That's why I try to avoid touching metal so religiously.  So it isn't like I have to change anything.   Now I simply KNOW that I am at risk when I use the power." 

Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #281 on: June 18, 2015, 11:53:48 pm »

Abraham Sat down swiftly.

"I will take first watch for tonight. You two please get sleep."

Abraham looked at Reid cocking his head. Thinking why such a man would possibly sacrifice himself for a band of people. But the thought quickly faded, and Abraham admired the cowboy a little bit.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:25:24 am by Steampunk Away » Logged

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #282 on: June 19, 2015, 12:35:30 am »

It was Celia's turn to blush as she turned to Reid. "Don't suppose you could give me a lift up to my room? It is the one with the inlay running all over it just down the hall from you. I have a set of healing runes my grandmother embroidered on my bedspread that my be a help to get me pulled back together.  Abraham please wake me at dawn.  I have to find Beety and the Captain but none of us should even stick our heads out the door until it is light."
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #283 on: June 19, 2015, 12:39:53 am »

Reid nodded his head  "Ma'am"   and then he stooped down and swept her up.   Finding the room was easy enough, but he blushed again as he placed her on her bed.   He realized he hardly knew her, and was alone in her room.   Reid had few social skills, and often found himself unsettled when in private conversation.

He walked to the door and turned at the last minute to repeat "Ma'am" before he walked out.  The ranger returned to his room and lay back on the bed fully clothed.    He was almost afraid to sleep and risk another discussion with the Morrigan.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #284 on: June 19, 2015, 11:40:19 am »

Celia did not even have the energy to undress.  In fact she considered it a victory she had been able to wiggle out of her boots before falling deeply asleep. 

In the dream she was seven again and dressed all in white.  Grandmother Rosalie was brushing her hair and tieing a big lacy bow on the top of her head.  Celia vaguely remembered this as being her presentation day.  On the seventh day in the seventh month on her seventh year she was presented to London and started ballast training. It had been a very important day.  "Now dont worry little CC she looks scary but she is bound by rules just the same way you are.  Look at her like fire or any other thing that has a nature to hurt the unwary and let your heart tell you where to go."  Her grandmother was fuzzy with a golden glow as was often the nature of dreams. 

"Never forget what I told you about the swan."  Beety was younger and sharply in silver much like Celia remembered. She looked down at the garden gate and knew what was waiting for her there. Walking proudly like she had no cares in the world she opened the wooden gate and stepped in to the sunny clearing.  A figure dressed in black was waiting for her there.  "Hello Morgan I suppose it is time for us to settle up."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2015, 05:41:12 pm »

The werewolf looked at Beety, "I'm sorry dear lady but this is the first time we have met!"
"Are you sure?"
Yes mam, unlike James, I recall every event since I came into existence."
She looked at him sure that they had met before but couldn't find the word to speak. After what felt like an eternity to Beety, James finally solidified, but like a child in a sweet shop, he walked of to the table and devoured the cakes on the table, "Loosing a body like that certenly drains ones energy," he said around a mouth full of cake.
"If you had taken on the wolf form then you would not have had to come here!" The werewolf said.
"What's done is done, but its time to get back." James stopped and his face turned read as he turned to Beety. "Um, I seam to have forgotten where the Inn was located, if I open a vail gate to london, can you form a link to Celia that I can follow and take us back?"
Beety looked at the werewolf who rolled his eyes before turning back into a ball of light and merging with james. She looked at Yuki Onna but she had already sttod up and had a snow storm swirling around here.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #286 on: June 19, 2015, 07:14:09 pm »

Celia's dreamscape swirled, and she found herself sitting in a high backed chair, in front of a cute little table future generations would call a "bistro set".   Opposite her sat the Morrigan.  Her Dark Queen visage was nowhere in sight.  Instead, she seemed Celia's age, and was dressed rather simply.  Based on the snacks and refreshments, it appeared as if she intended to take high tea. Celia looked around, and saw that they were on a high hill overlooking the Thames.  Celia could feel London below, but it seemed odd, as if it were not quite 'her' London.

"Do you know your grandmother Sissy and I" Morrigan froze.  "Yes dear, I knew her.  We had meetings like this from time to time.  No, I didn't call her sister.  She was literally called Sissy by several of her contemporaries.   Anyway, as with her, I offer this meeting place.  It is protected "   she gestured to a circle on the ground that pulsed with energy.

"And it is a truth circle.  That is, we are both bound to tell the truth, albeit, the truth as we believe it."
Celia looked to be in shock.

"You must understand,  by the old code, you placed yourself in my service with that affair." Morrigan gestured, and Celia noticed for the first time Toby curled up asleep on what appeared to be a dog bed by her side.

"I could command you dear.  But you are strong willed, and protected by your city.   But I want you to understand better how things are."  
Suddenly Celia saw a golden chain from her wrist to Toby's.  Another thicker bronze chain ran from her foot down to the city.
A black chain ran from Celia's neck over to the Morrigan.  "You created this debt.  But I ask your trust.  So..." the black chain dissolved.

Celia looked at her host and picked up a cup of tea.  Her hand barely shook as she sipped and said "and what price to you ask for this grace?"     she tried to look more call than she felt.

"I have bonds too.  " Morrigan held up her arm and five slimey black undulating snakes of power trailer off towards the city. "Some I took on willingly, others the league de maison tricked upon me.   They are your men in white"
She paused then continued. "They offered me the seat beside their pretender.  I would finally be Queen of Camelot, though a twisted and diminished version to be sure.   Once I fed them power, they used old magicks to snare me."

Morrigan seemed very sincere when she said "destroy the five circles of power that bind me, and I will withdraw from your city.  AFTER I settle with those knighted vipers of course."

Celia didn't know what to say, so she sat still and thought.    "Oh, I could still help them dear.  But they have made me angry."  when Morrigan said this, she was the dark Queen again, and Tea was over. There was a flurry of black wings and Celia,found herself back in her bed.    She called out "but where are these circles of power?"  (Celia,actually screamed this out loud, not dreaming)
Morrigan's voice floated down "ask Beety.  And do not trust that wretched mirror. "

« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:19:07 pm by Ranger Reid » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #287 on: June 19, 2015, 08:19:18 pm »

Her heart raced in her chest as a sleepy Toby wandered in from is connected room. "Mama?"

She held her arms open and he crawled up in to her arms.  "It was just a bad dream sweetheart." Celia said burying her face in his downy hair.

"It was the wing lady.  She told them they couldn't keep me when the game was over." Toby sounded like he was unsure whether to be scared or sort of happy.

"Yes it was but don't worry no one will ever take you away from me."  Celia thought the chain leading to him should have come from her heart.  Ever since he came in to her life she had been so happy and the weight of her duty felt much lighter.

There was a pounding on the door and both of them jumped.  They were not used to sharing their house.  "Yes?l
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #288 on: June 20, 2015, 07:42:14 pm »

Reid stood outside the door.  He was amazed the others hadn't come running at the raised voices.  After knocking soundly, he asked "Ma'am?  Is everything alright in there?"   He held the knob in his gloved hand.  His own insecurity at opening a woman's bedroom door made him hope to see Mallard or someone else to accompany him if he had to enter.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #289 on: June 20, 2015, 08:11:49 pm »

Celia tried to quickly freshen up and not look like she had slept in her clothes. She picked Toby up and kissed his head. "Let's go have honey cakes." Toby let out a woop as Celia opened the door.  "Sorry Reid he is a bit rambunctious this morning." She felt much better and  wondered how much of that was from sleep and how much was from the fact she knew the shape of the doom looming over them.  "I think we better call every one in.  I have had a rather illuminating dream."
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #290 on: June 20, 2015, 08:21:50 pm »

Reid jumped back from the door in an embarrassed blush.  He nodded his head at Toby and stepped back out of the doorway.    Considering his recent dreams, he feared what Celia would have to say.

He also rather distractedly wondered if these honey cakes he had overheard mentioned might be some kind of Johnny cake like he was used to.  Either way he realized that he was famished too.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #291 on: June 20, 2015, 09:11:35 pm »

Abraham had prepared breakfast that morning, and then the others started filtering in, he was setting the table. Each one of the members looked a little worst for wear, obviously having not slept well.

Abraham himself had troubled sleep, but nothing that could cause him major discomfort.

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #292 on: June 20, 2015, 09:52:46 pm »

Toby bounded down the stairs excited for the sweets. Celia laughed and followed more slowly. She was stiff but at least her legs worked.  She stopped beside Reid and spoke softly.  "Thank you for your help. I hate to admit it but I had no idea how I was going to pull that off."

Toby burst into the dining room and was surprised to see Abraham.  "Mama says I can have some of the honey cakes in the warmer by the fireplace.".
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #293 on: June 20, 2015, 10:33:09 pm »

Reid flushed and stammered "I... uh...  umm..  You are very capable Ma'am.   Ummm..  "  He looked very uncomfortable, and took Celia's elbow to steady her as she started down the stairs,   "I believe there are strengths in each of our members.  I can only hope the others return so we can work together."

As they entered the dining area, Reid tapped Toby on the right shoulder as he walked past him on the left.  Toby spun the wrong way looking to see who tapped him, and when he turned back the Ranger had switched plates with him.   Reid sat in front of a stack of honey cakes and said innocently "Why Toby, aren't you hungry?"

Toby was laughing as he yelled "Hey!!!"     Reid switched back plates, then grabbed his own food.   

"Thank you for preparing things Abraham.   I am beginning to think my years of solitary adventures were not as fulfilling as they seemed.  At the minimum, the food is beyond comparison with a team...."
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #294 on: June 21, 2015, 03:03:46 pm »

A sharp knock at the front door and Captain Purcell appeared with Beety, they came in and settled by the fireplace.  Beety gratefully accepted a hot cocoa  whilst Celia brought them up to date on what she knew.  Yes I've heard of the circles of power Gold for greed, Silver for truth, Stone for honour, Water for life, Blood for power, Music for freedom.  They're not always given in that order of precedence and the accounts contradict in other ways but I'll tell you what I can.
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Paddle faster, I hear Banjos...

« Reply #295 on: June 21, 2015, 08:22:11 pm »

Mallard wandered into the room, in a very tatty tartan dressing gown, a gazing very intimately at a leather bound volume, pen in hand. "Is it breakfast already?" he said quietly, looking completely worried at the fact he had lost track of all time.

I don't know why I have to learn algebra... I have no intention whatsoever of ever going there...

"Uh-uh. I know what you're thinking. Did he discharge 6 chambers, or was it only 5? Well, I rather forgot myself, what with all this excitement and all. But seeing that this is a .45 Civiliser, the most powerful hand-cannon in the Empire, and will blow your goggles clean off, you ought to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky?

"Well, do you... steampunk?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #296 on: June 21, 2015, 11:50:36 pm »

Celia smiled perhaps it was seeing her grandmother again or maybe the fact that Beety made it back unharmed but she was feeling far more capable than when she had gone to sleep.  "Good morning Mal.  I am glad you are up because we are in a bit of a pickle.  The Morgan has asked for our help and I think if both us and the city want to survive we had better lend a hand.  We have to brake five magic circles but other then knowing what they stand for we have no clue where they are, What they look like or if they are guarded."
Prof. Isambard Ravenwood
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Paddle faster, I hear Banjos...

« Reply #297 on: June 22, 2015, 12:26:02 am »

"Well, you are lucky I've been reading. Brushing up on my black magic rituals, actually." He leaned across to Celia "you might want to brace yourself before you go into the library- I may or may not have painted large a pentagram and runes on the floor in candle wax..." He readjusted himself as though he were giving a speech. "My journey of discovery has taken me somewhat further down the rabbit-hole than previously anticipated, and although I have dirtied my fluffy, white tail, I have emerged... enlightened. I can answer two of the three questions, yes, they will be guarded-I would've thought that much was obvious. These people, whoever they are, are not fooling around. The answer to question numberrrr uno is again, screamingly obvious, they will be here-in London. It is a necessity to have the ritual sites as close together as possible, and where better to have five large spiritual conduits than in the city of grand architecture! which leads me on to- somewhat of a guess- the answer to the third and final question, what they look like. Well, judging by the fact we have stopped one attempt, i'd say they have missed the golden goose that was the tower, and have had to resort to five different locations to achieve the same effect. These will undoubtedly be other large sites of architecture that they can use to channel and amplify the spiritual energy. So... landmarks?" Finished Mallard, who started eyeing Toby's breakfast eagerly...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:31:03 am by Prof. Isambard Ravenwood » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #298 on: June 22, 2015, 12:44:30 am »

'The tower bridge should be water. Or at least the bridge builders made a fantastic home for old man river down in the casements.  I remember running negotiations on that after construction faltered." Celia stared to put a plate together for Mallard being sure there was plenty of bacon and the remaining honey cakes that Toby was not devouring.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

« Reply #299 on: June 22, 2015, 04:47:05 am »

Abraham sat quietly down, contemplating the question. He waited for others to speak though, so as not to steal the limelight
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: