The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 09:03:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Barker Street Irregulars OOC and Set Up Thread  (Read 16471 times)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #675 on: March 12, 2016, 08:26:13 pm »

Glad to hear your feeling better.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #676 on: March 13, 2016, 04:16:50 am »

HOORAY!

Prayers and whatever else works for a speedy improvement to your situation, Stella. You deserve it. I'm glad things are looking up a bit for you.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #677 on: March 13, 2016, 06:13:20 am »

Just trying to play along. If it's not what people want, let me know and I'll rewrite it.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #678 on: March 14, 2016, 06:02:33 pm »

There has been a death, not in my immediate family, but of a very dear friend. I seem to be in a bit of funk despite my best efforts to break out of it. I'll try to have something up by this latenight, but I can't make any guarantees.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #679 on: March 17, 2016, 03:47:55 am »

Again, just playing along. Let me know if something needs changing.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #680 on: March 21, 2016, 08:26:51 am »

I'm not trying to corner the action, as it were. In fact, a plot complication to get everyone else involved would be welcome; I just haven't been able to come up with one, other than perhaps Marley or Bill or both getting hung up and unable to help Toby, who runs into difficulty trying to wriggle through the vines without the Rose Queen noticing. Maybe Miss Verity or Abraham or the wolf or pixie might be able to do something...?

Anyone have other/additional/different ideas?

Pardon yet another post-in-a-row, by the way.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #681 on: March 21, 2016, 08:19:24 pm »

I've given you something scary from Verity.  Hope it helps.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #682 on: March 22, 2016, 05:07:49 pm »

Thanks! I'll see what I/we can make of it in the next bit of time.

working on finishing a painting and doing as the doc ordered at the gym (not concurrently, thank the powers, lol).
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #683 on: March 24, 2016, 09:35:31 am »

Hope and Danger, lots of possible directions to take the story.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #684 on: March 24, 2016, 03:39:09 pm »

Sorry about that weird quote post. I erased it and put the current short blurb in its place.

As I said, I play or rather have resumed playing a smallish 12 inch bodrhan (in addition to everything else; actually started when all I played were a folk fife and was still mucking about with homemade lap harps, and was lusting for an Irish flute); even made my own tippers when my fancy one, one of those that resemble some kind of weird artillery projectile, went missing. Dad like to killed me for shaping the macassar ebony one on the grinder... Cheesy. The local newbie dulcimer folks need a beat to keep in time, so I've started playing bones and bodrhan when the group starts to lag and our regular percussionist is not available.

I made my 16 incher into a minstrel/plantation-style tackhead banjo 'bout a decade ago, when the folks laid down the iron heel of law and forbade me to play it in the house... (lol).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:43:49 pm by MWBailey » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #685 on: March 25, 2016, 10:43:06 am »

Mis Stick (pun intended), do you mind if I edit your Bodran comment with some more information?
I have one but not played in ages.

It is used in Ireland and balanced on one knee with a hand in the back. Can be played with a double ended stick or with the hand for those dextrous enough.
gothard sisters live bodhran duet 2011 kieransirishmusicandsurvivalcompound blogspot co uk
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #686 on: March 25, 2016, 06:47:06 pm »

I became used to holding my hand at a specific position in relation to my big one, so I tend to hold the 12 inch bodrhan in midair whether sitting or standing.  I've never needed a mic, but then, the rest of the bunch don't usually use mics either, and audiences are usually close enough that hearing us is no problem anyway.

I lately find that I'm slipping slowly into the trap that all beat keepers (such as bassists, drummers, spooners, etc.) tend to fall into; People want us to keep the beat in exclusion to all else. I want to play my other instruments too, lol.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #687 on: March 25, 2016, 07:59:34 pm »

I became used to holding my hand at a specific position in relation to my big one, so I tend to hold the 12 inch bodrhan in midair whether sitting or standing.  I've never needed a mic, but then, the rest of the bunch don't usually use mics either, and audiences are usually close enough that hearing us is no problem anyway.

I lately find that I'm slipping slowly into the trap that all beat keepers (such as bassists, drummers, spooners, etc.) tend to fall into; People want us to keep the beat in exclusion to all else. I want to play my other instruments too, lol.

I end to use the thumb and little finger on the cross piece to hold it but alas I haven't practiced in ages.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #688 on: March 29, 2016, 11:51:25 pm »

I've tried that hold, Capt., but I just cant make my hand and wrist do what needs to be done, so I use the pencil hold and just whack it that way. Everybody says I'm doing it wrong, but it feels right to me (Kevin Coneff does/did it the same way, but nobody criticizes him... Wink)

Been finishing up a painting and spraying it with fixative, for a music festival door prize thing this weekend. I'll try to put something up later tonight.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #689 on: March 30, 2016, 09:22:15 pm »

I've tried that hold, Capt., but I just cant make my hand and wrist do what needs to be done, so I use the pencil hold and just whack it that way. Everybody says I'm doing it wrong, but it feels right to me (Kevin Coneff does/did it the same way, but nobody criticizes him... Wink)

To be honest, the grip is only for support and holds no weight.
I play with the thumb and little finger of my other hand.
I have one like this that I brought back for Ireland.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #690 on: March 31, 2016, 12:31:55 am »

I think you've misunderstood me; I hold the tipper in my right hand in a "pencil" type grip with what would be the pencil tip pointed back at my chest, and whack the drumhead in a repetitive arc. I hold the bodhran itself with my left hand up inside, palm and/or finger of my right hand against the inside of the head, to control the tone and provide support. You can almost play a tune on it that way. I'll post a pic of my li'l 12 incher in a bit.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #691 on: April 02, 2016, 10:54:07 am »

Sorry, mind wondered, but what ever works.
Are you single ending or double ending?
I know double ending is hard if I get distracted and forget what i'm doing.

I think you've misunderstood me; I hold the tipper in my right hand in a "pencil" type grip with what would be the pencil tip pointed back at my chest, and whack the drumhead in a repetitive arc. I hold the bodhran itself with my left hand up inside, palm and/or finger of my right hand against the inside of the head, to control the tone and provide support. You can almost play a tune on it that way. I'll post a pic of my li'l 12 incher in a bit.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #692 on: April 07, 2016, 06:31:51 pm »

Sorry, mind wondered, but what ever works.
Are you single ending or double ending?
I know double ending is hard if I get distracted and forget what i'm doing.

Single-ending.The tippers I make and/or use are too short to "twiddle" fast or hard enough to get a really good, loud dub unless I take my fingers completely off the inside of the head - and then people complain about the overbearing timbre of the sound as opposed to the hand-on- the-head sound. So, I just whale away with one end.

----------------
Since a large part of my relatives are farm folk, I've been doing things like clearing and weeding land for almost as long as i can remember. One of the things I've noticed about vines and such is that a really bad choking "vine" is usually actually two or more vines clumped together. It happens that way mainly because of the fact that birds eat the fruit (berries, etc.), and they perch in bushes or trees, and the seeds - in plural- fall to the ground when they, ahem, get rid of the waste. In the cases or blossoms going to seed or pods falling to the ground, clumps naturally happen in those cases as well. Thus, vines in plural sprout in the same place and wreak havoc which is the basis for Marley only severing one root and there still being at least one more for the group to deal with.

(not to mention crawling varieties like Kudzu, which sprawl all over the place and then attack bushes and trees almost en masse with as many as five or more climbing tendrils, and that nightmarish Asian plant that is currently attacking/subverting shrubbery all over the Western world).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 06:44:37 pm by MWBailey » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #693 on: April 07, 2016, 08:36:25 pm »

Single-ending.The tippers I make and/or use are too short to "twiddle" fast or hard enough to get a really good, loud dub unless I take my fingers completely off the inside of the head - and then people complain about the overbearing timbre of the sound as opposed to the hand-on- the-head sound. So, I just whale away with one end.

----------------
Since a large part of my relatives are farm folk, I've been doing things like clearing and weeding land for almost as long as i can remember. One of the things I've noticed about vines and such is that a really bad choking "vine" is usually actually two or more vines clumped together. It happens that way mainly because of the fact that birds eat the fruit (berries, etc.), and they perch in bushes or trees, and the seeds - in plural- fall to the ground when they, ahem, get rid of the waste. In the cases or blossoms going to seed or pods falling to the ground, clumps naturally happen in those cases as well. Thus, vines in plural sprout in the same place and wreak havoc which is the basis for Marley only severing one root and there still being at least one more for the group to deal with.

(not to mention crawling varieties like Kudzu, which sprawl all over the place and then attack bushes and trees almost en masse with as many as five or more climbing tendrils, and that nightmarish Asian plant that is currently attacking/subverting shrubbery all over the Western world).

Funny the brambles can also be like that. We had one once that looped up and back down the garden (nearly 40 foot long!)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #694 on: April 22, 2016, 03:23:10 am »

Sorry for not posting sooner; the floods and power outages have made the net and everything to do with it all crazy around here. We didn't get water in the house, we keep having outages every time a wave of storms blows through.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #695 on: April 25, 2016, 04:48:44 am »

Brassgoggles is blocked on my iPad so my defunct computer is my only means of posting, and I am almost always busy, so I will try and post more soon.

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #696 on: May 24, 2016, 08:36:12 pm »

Recuperated nicely from the shoulder injury, only to become embroiled in family matters once again, plus boning up on the bodhran (unexpectedly popular with the concertina group for the Irish part of our repertoire) and starting up with a local Irish/Celtic session after several decades of inactivity on that front; I think I already mentioned that a while back.

I rediscovered through that injury just how ambidextrous I actually am. It's actually kind of frightening how dependent I am on both hands and arms.

Anyhow, I'l try to have something up tonight or tomorrow.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #697 on: June 05, 2016, 10:24:01 pm »

I was trying to draw from Kipling (Puck of Pook's Hill, specifically) with the 'Oak, Ash and Thorn' stuff, but reality got me sidetracked and I'm now not sure where I was going with it. In any case, I'll retrace my mental steps and try to stop woolgathering, and have something up by tomorrow latenight - Knock on wood...  Wink
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #698 on: June 10, 2016, 07:23:29 am »

The Linnaeus is a plot complication to be used or not; possibly for transport back to "normal reality" in case things go pear-shaped or the Gateway is rendered inoperable (?)
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #699 on: July 06, 2016, 06:00:48 pm »

Re other realities.  Read Seanan McGuire's Every Heart A Doorway.  Very relevant and a beautiful story.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: