The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 11:33:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Barker Street Irregulars OOC and Set Up Thread  (Read 15905 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #525 on: August 18, 2015, 10:02:02 pm »

I kind of admire a person who can say things briefly. I'm always worried that I'm writing 'way too much.

The Buddha thing is mainly just to manage my fidgetiness, help establish Verity as a character, and add a bit of color to the Museum landscape. Don't hold anything up for my sake.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #526 on: August 19, 2015, 03:27:48 am »

I made it home last night at midnight.   Got called today with new orders, if my local boss approves them I will be headed back out for Oregon for a couple weeks.  I was trying to stay in as much as I could, but it doesn't look likely for me to post for a few more weeks. 

Sorry,  I miss this interaction a lot, but I need to go help if I can.

Talk to you later folks.

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #527 on: August 19, 2015, 04:49:24 am »

Do your dangedest, and good luck! And thank you for your service!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #528 on: August 30, 2015, 06:27:50 am »

According to an article that I remember reading a couple or few years ago (I think it was in an issue of National Geographic), At least one RL female raven has been credited as flying from the tower, having figured out the trick of flying in successive circles, in order to escape from the Tower's environs. I cannot recall if the relevant article mentioned whether or not she was recaptured.

I'm planning for something untoward to happen to Guatama. After all, if you see the Buddha in the street...

Oh, and I nearly forgot; Marley's going to find it's not that easy to escape the tower...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:34:48 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #529 on: August 31, 2015, 09:56:09 pm »

Am relocating today.  Will either be home in a few days or in 2 weeks depends if I get picked up by a new incident.  Either way, my local boss said 2 weeks is the deadline for travel.  So will try to ease back in at some point.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #530 on: September 01, 2015, 06:56:15 am »

Hurry back!
------------------
*Landau: a type of carriage often but not always featuring front and rear passenger seats that face one another, with seats for footmen and driver at the extreme front and rear (these are often also used as extra passenger space in commercial rigs). The carriages used in cities that feature carriage rides for tourists are often of the landau variety. A picture of such is on the page in the link below:
http://www.horsecarriagehire.com/horse-drawn-carriages

I've heard some people say that landaus, when the tops are all the way up, resemble hearses, which do in fact look similar, but are in fact a type of coach rather than a carriage (yes, there is a difference, mainly in that a coach typically has permanent, well, coachwork to keep out the weather, whereas a carrige has convertible tops. YMMV, however.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #531 on: September 04, 2015, 07:33:22 am »

Did I get the bit about the statue and woman correct?

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #532 on: September 04, 2015, 07:54:51 am »

I originated  Verity so I'll answer about her.  Yes she could still be drawing no matter what goes on around her. You'll find out how useful that is later.   She's sixteen more likely seen as a Girl in Victorian society. But I don't know about the social attitude to age where Tobias has been living.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #533 on: September 04, 2015, 04:20:01 pm »

I originated  Verity so I'll answer about her.  Yes she could still be drawing no matter what goes on around her. You'll find out how useful that is later.   She's sixteen more likely seen as a Girl in Victorian society. But I don't know about the social attitude to age where Tobias has been living.
Ahh, I couldn't remember her age or work it out so I put woman.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #534 on: September 04, 2015, 04:26:43 pm »

Whoever gets closer may get a better idea of Verity's age.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #535 on: September 05, 2015, 05:15:44 am »

The statue's identity is Guatama, known as "the Buddha" (yes, that Buddha. I'm such an irreverent old cuss... Grin). I have no idea if there was ever a buddha statue in the V&A at any time in the Victorian Period (or after, or ever), but it seemed to me that if they had one, the foyer (assuming they had a foyer) is where it would be., at least in our game's universe's version of the place.

He hasn't started moving very much, but is about to go wandering out into the street, overcome with awe at the sights of the city, and meet his demise (As I quoted, "If one sees the buddha in the street..."; the end of that quote is "...you should kill him," though I've heard there are several interpretations of that besides simply attacking or destroying him).

but yes, you got it generally correct.

Just one small issue, however: Bill is a raven, not a crow (not the same thing. Ravens are larger, more predatory, and have different-shaped feather formations - not to mention other distinctive traits and "habits," so to speak).

Marley is also a raven, not a crow, for the nonce, while
1. Grand Master Mollesley is still determined to punish him thusly for taking liberties with sensitive information, (for one), and
2. until he works out for himself how to change from human to raven and back again. Or, vice versa. My thinking is that his magical tether to the Tower of London (a somewhat ironic facet that suggests part of Mollesley's mindset) is connected with the form he takes, due to  various bits of raven lore and backward subjective extrapolation therefrom.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 05:38:05 am by MWBailey » Logged
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #536 on: September 05, 2015, 08:10:09 am »

Fixed the bird problem
As to the statues name, I haven't used it because Tobias does not know it yet.
I see know one noticed the big fubar,
Tobias is outside and Verity is inside
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #537 on: September 05, 2015, 09:48:22 am »

Yes bu Tobias was raised in a magical realm. It's quite possible he sees magic but in a mostly non magical environment he's seeing through walls and hasn't realized he's doing it because he's only noticing things touched by magic.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #538 on: September 05, 2015, 03:46:29 pm »

Maybe he senses something in her.
...........will he be the one she can cling to being the youngest to her age? (going by looks that is)

Is that enough of a poke to keep things moving or should we wait for the others to enter and catchup?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 03:55:46 pm by CPT_J_Percell » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #539 on: September 07, 2015, 06:22:44 pm »

Pardon my absence; I was performing Saturday with a Boermusieck (South African Folk Music) group at the annual Texas Potjie* festival in Conroe, Texas (they need a banjo player for rhythm in the traditional style, and in addition to owning and playing a Boer-style concertina, I also just happen to play the banjo Grin), indulging in mass quantities of BBQ roasted lamb, and spending Sunday and part of this morning recuperating from same (never had lamb of any sort before, and it kind of snuck up on me, so to speak. At least I think that was it; might have been a bug, though, I suppose).

I'll try to have something up soon.
--------
*Potjie: a kind of stew that is a Boer tradition, and the pot that it is cooked in, which is pretty much a three-legged cast-iron cauldron with a lid.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #540 on: September 08, 2015, 03:20:08 am »

I will be home Sunday.  Not sure if I can catch up or should sit out.  Will try to read up when I am back.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #541 on: September 09, 2015, 05:54:55 am »

I'd say catch up and all that. Hate to lose you.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #542 on: September 16, 2015, 01:35:45 am »

I read up, not sure how to explain my absence and reappearance so decided to USE it as a plot element.  Will work it as a side adventure till it makes sense to escape and rejoin the group or get myself rescued LOL   Mostly I want it to make sense to the big plot and not mess up whatever big plan anyone has for the story.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #543 on: September 16, 2015, 03:15:47 am »

Sorry for being gone between work, conventions and a boyfriend in the hospital I have not been around much. i am hoping things will calm a bit now.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #544 on: September 16, 2015, 05:12:44 pm »

Not to worry, I've been working on my book, but lack ideas for this.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #545 on: September 16, 2015, 08:28:23 pm »

Bill's such a helpful(?) bird, isn't he...

I had intended for the statue to be dead after smashing to bits, but "Guatama" being still alive and lost in hilarity works too...
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #546 on: September 16, 2015, 08:57:08 pm »

Bill's such a helpful(?) bird, isn't he...

I had intended for the statue to be dead after smashing to bits, but "Guatama" being still alive and lost in hilarity works too...

I figured that Guatama didn't actually exist only in the statue but could move between them.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #547 on: September 17, 2015, 10:55:16 pm »

Sounds OK to me.

----

Yikes, sorry about the gigantic post. I just figured Marley needed a bit of help figuring out how to get into the main stream. The "recent changes in reality" should make it easier for him to figure out the change process... semi-eventually...
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #548 on: September 24, 2015, 07:22:26 am »

Welcome back, Ranger!

---
Poor Marley; he seems to be having a bit of an off night in some respects...
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #549 on: October 08, 2015, 07:19:38 am »

Back to shorter posts now, hopefully.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: