The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 01:54:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: If you owned a castle , what use would you put it to ??
Private Home - 8 (28.6%)
Mad Science - 4 (14.3%)
Event Venue - 2 (7.1%)
Guest Accomodation - 2 (7.1%)
Haunted House - 1 (3.6%)
Film Set - 0 (0%)
Apocalyptic Bunker - 2 (7.1%)
Evil Mastermind Lair - 1 (3.6%)
Military  Base - 0 (0%)
Museum - 5 (17.9%)
Other - 3 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If You Had a Castle - what would you use it for ? What type would you Own ?  (Read 2879 times)
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2015, 12:59:32 am »

I would make my castle into a museum. I would live on the premises and the entry fees, plus profits from the food and souvenir sales, etc. would pay for the insulation and heating, among other things.   

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2015, 01:04:21 am »

I would make my castle into a museum. I would live on the premises and the entry fees, plus profits from the food and souvenir sales, etc. would pay for the insulation and heating, among other things.   

It makes perfect sense to me.  That appeals to my inner amateur historian, because you perpetuate knowledge and preserve the castle. I can't think of a better way to use those structures which otherwise seem superfluous today.

A goldfish.
Deck Hand

Real friends give their friends eels.

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2015, 04:32:34 am »

I voted 'mad science'. I want to be able to blow stuff up and wreak havoc without having the authorities able get in to stop me when the neighbors complain.
I'd prefer one of those charming, almost stereotypical medieval castles, with the big ramparts and towers... and a clear line of fire. Grin

Also, a moat. A moat is a must. But it must be changeable to suit my whims of the day. What if I want alligators or mechanized piranha one day, and then a pit of spears the next? Then why not!

Then when I'm not experimenting with plasma rays, making mechanical beasties or otherwise blowing things to bits I'd like a tea room/library with French doors leading to a vast garden with bunnies (protected by force field, of course, so I don't accidentally destroy it somehow and make myself sad.) ...

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

- Romans 8:35-37
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2015, 05:00:45 am »

I voted 'mad science'. I want to be able to blow stuff up and wreak havoc without having the authorities able get in to stop me when the neighbors complain.
I'd prefer one of those charming, almost stereotypical medieval castles, with the big ramparts and towers... and a clear line of fire. Grin

Also, a moat. A moat is a must. But it must be changeable to suit my whims of the day. What if I want alligators or mechanized piranha one day, and then a pit of spears the next? Then why not!

Then when I'm not experimenting with plasma rays, making mechanical beasties or otherwise blowing things to bits I'd like a tea room/library with French doors leading to a vast garden with bunnies (protected by force field, of course, so I don't accidentally destroy it somehow and make myself sad.) ...

Wouldn't that be a magical  castle !!! Cheesy
A goldfish.
Deck Hand

Real friends give their friends eels.

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2015, 06:48:56 am »

Did I sound too much like a five-year-old? Ah well, it's a fun question; may as well have a fun answer! Wink
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2015, 07:05:34 am »

Did I sound too much like a five-year-old? Ah well, it's a fun question; may as well have a fun answer! Wink

It was my own secret answer Wink

{ it may be everyone's  own secret answer}

and yes it would be fun !!!! Grin Cheesy Cool
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2015, 08:33:41 am »

Who doesn't like moats? I like moats.  Especially if they gave crocodiles in them  Grin  But I would add great vats of boiling tar in case the enemy attacks.
Stormcat
Officer

Sir Whiskers, Lord High Mouser and Royal lapwarmer

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2015, 02:34:32 am »

Given how castles were built to keep the hordes away, It seems only natural I'd fix it up for zombie defense!

And if I could vote again, I'd also preform mad science in the dungeon. But anti-zombie fortress is the main objective of this castle.

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2015, 02:58:33 pm »

I've been having a serious think about this and I have come to the conclusion that a gate house/barbican or eccentric folly would probably be enough for me. An entire castle would be a lot of upkeep. I could manage something smaller (and work out ways of dealing with the water) I would like maybe 2 good turrets an arch, a central "keep" and a retaining lower battlement. Running around a low battlement is always FUN!

I'm not talking Windsor Castle here. A small folly that I could call my own. Maybe we should start a Steampunk retirement plan. Sink a bit of money in a plot of land and slowly build Rawlinsons end!

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2015, 03:28:36 pm »

Same kind of deal here, Clym. A full blown castle would be a bit much, but a smaller version like a gatehouse with tower and a bit of a wall all the way round would be manageable.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2015, 03:37:08 am »

Who doesn't like moats? I like moats.  Especially if they gave crocodiles in them  Grin  But I would add great vats of boiling tar in case the enemy attacks.

Now we are talking  - that would keep the blighters out

or even these

Or the most terrifying of all
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2015, 04:13:14 am »

Some more castles to take a look at:  http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/castles-in-ohio/ 

-Karl
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2015, 04:50:47 am »

Apparently, there were plenty in mine and my wife's lineage. We've been able to follow our trees back past 1040!

And then some idiots (that I won't mention, NOT family, mind you) f'd it all up! Wasn' lost through a war, either.
A few are still around...someday we shall go and visit!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2015, 05:42:24 am »

Some more castles to take a look at:  http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ohio/castles-in-ohio/ 

Ohio must have more than its fair share of eccentrics.

It is dotted with  intriguing haunted places and   unusual buildings. The local parks  are world famous along side  the infamous Helltown

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2015, 05:44:19 am »

Apparently, there were plenty in mine and my wife's lineage. We've been able to follow our trees back past 1040!

And then some idiots (that I won't mention, NOT family, mind you) f'd it all up! Wasn' lost through a war, either.
A few are still around...someday we shall go and visit!

That is a long way back.

There are allegedly castles  in one Irish  branch of the family. In the 1500s the peasants had enough and chased  us out  with the traditional pitchfork  and fiery torches method.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2015, 02:26:53 pm »

The Clan Gregor still has at least one standing castle.  But doesn't own it any more I believe.     Obviously, I would defer to any members with more direct knowledge.   

We trace our lineage back to the original kings of Scotland.  Hence the clan motto:  Royal is our Race.

I bring this up because I was recently reading about the one castle and thinking about this thread.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2015, 05:15:39 pm »

That is a very elitist sort of motto  Cheesy

Not sure what ours is- but it might be something like- Run the b@$+@£€ through

The family has connections with pirates like Grainne O'Malley.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2015, 02:58:21 pm »

"Justice and Fortitude are Invincible",
And the castle is now a museum in Enniskillen.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2015, 03:32:16 pm »

Interesting question but at my time of life it will probably remain a dream! (Dreams are good...) I have wanted to live in a tower or a building with a tower attached, similar to Scottish baronial houses. However, my cousin lives in a lighthouse and looking at that and similar dwellings leads me to believe that circular tower living involves quite a few compromises.
To get enough floor space you need quite a few floors and staircases take up lots of room. Furniture has to be bespoke to fit the rather tight curves. it is an expensive building design because bricks / stone have to be cut to fit so high labour and material wastage costs.

My solution would be a modern take on a broch http://www.archaeologyhebrides.com/pages/brochs. By making it of a reasonable diameter - say 20 -25 feet, the furniture and construction costs reduce towards normal. I would also use modern materials and finishes. I would not use the double skinned walls above say the second floor. They are amazingly simple structures yet have not been incorporated into modern builds - maybe I'm missing something?

It would be ideally situated close to water (as this is an idealised dream) so the ground floor / basement would be completely stone flagged and the walls tanked, so that rather than trying to keep flood water out, the design would be resistant to flood water and easy to clean and dry out afterwards. Probably restrict its use to storage, party venue, ...

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Lady Mae
Deck Hand

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2015, 05:15:51 pm »

We'll be in my bunk......
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2015, 05:27:20 pm »

We'll be in my bunk......
Excellent M'Lady made me laugh, that, good one  Grin

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2015, 07:56:24 pm »

Interesting question but at my time of life it will probably remain a dream! (Dreams are good...) I have wanted to live in a tower or a building with a tower attached, similar to Scottish baronial houses. However, my cousin lives in a lighthouse and looking at that and similar dwellings leads me to believe that circular tower living involves quite a few compromises.
To get enough floor space you need quite a few floors and staircases take up lots of room. Furniture has to be bespoke to fit the rather tight curves. it is an expensive building design because bricks / stone have to be cut to fit so high labour and material wastage costs.

My solution would be a modern take on a broch http://www.archaeologyhebrides.com/pages/brochs. By making it of a reasonable diameter - say 20 -25 feet, the furniture and construction costs reduce towards normal. I would also use modern materials and finishes. I would not use the double skinned walls above say the second floor. They are amazingly simple structures yet have not been incorporated into modern builds - maybe I'm missing something?

It would be ideally situated close to water (as this is an idealised dream) so the ground floor / basement would be completely stone flagged and the walls tanked, so that rather than trying to keep flood water out, the design would be resistant to flood water and easy to clean and dry out afterwards. Probably restrict its use to storage, party venue, ...

The cells do fortified towers well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: