The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:17:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: If you owned a castle , what use would you put it to ??
Private Home - 8 (28.6%)
Mad Science - 4 (14.3%)
Event Venue - 2 (7.1%)
Guest Accomodation - 2 (7.1%)
Haunted House - 1 (3.6%)
Film Set - 0 (0%)
Apocalyptic Bunker - 2 (7.1%)
Evil Mastermind Lair - 1 (3.6%)
Military  Base - 0 (0%)
Museum - 5 (17.9%)
Other - 3 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If You Had a Castle - what would you use it for ? What type would you Own ?  (Read 2968 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: June 02, 2015, 02:41:06 am »

I would want to own one as  private home  and maybe  hire out parts of it  for events or filming

Maybe one like like these  in the classic  gloomy romantic style

Katz Castle

Castle Island , Rosscommon

Burg Reichenstein

pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 03:45:02 am »

Recording studio...always wanted something larger than a broom closet...Wink
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 03:55:14 am »

Recording studio...always wanted something larger than a broom closet...Wink

That would be groovy

great acoustics
Capitan Diavolo
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 04:45:15 am »

Private home, but allowing the use as movie set and some rooms as a private museum.
Would like to have it near a lake, so inside, under the castle there would be enough space for a hidden hangar for some few flying boats... A nice hideout...

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 04:49:05 am »

Private home, but allowing the use as movie set and some rooms as a private museum.
Would like to have it near a lake, so inside, under the castle there would be enough space for a hidden hangar for some few flying boats... A nice hideout...

I'm jealous already
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 04:56:31 am »

A combination of residence, guest house, events, museum, etc....

I did as much castle hopping as time would allow when I lived in Europe.  What impressed me the most about all of these castles was their age and character.  They were more like ancient beings in their own right than just a stone shell haunted by endless dead people.  A mortal owner is just a caretaker for a moment in the castle's life.  

-Karl
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 07:10:21 am »

I voted "museum" -

Whilst I am still enchanted by the idea of owning and living in a castle or stone lodge, and at one time entertained the desire to own a castle, after visiting a number of German Schloss and American replicas I put aside the notion. I am envious of the thick walls and stout roof, but the design does not lend itself to comfort in any way.

The rooms are often laid out poorly, connecting one to the next, or along a side corridor. The space is difficult to heat, and always feels damp, the ceilings are too tall for practicality even if one can afford servants to clean. The floors are notorious cold, hard on the feet and legs, unless one puts in flexible subflooring and a wooden floor and then covers them with rugs. Many castles fell into ruin simply because they were abandoned by the owners as unlivable.

I almost tried to buy a nearby home that had such features - thick walls, high ceilings, central hall... but it had all the detriments as well!
It had an inefficient and rusty  boiler of 1920 vintage that needed constant attention, rusty pipes, cast iron radiators, and was notorious for being cold and drafty. Built originally as a park lodge, it would have taken more 4 times the asking price just to to "remodel" (rebuild is more correct) to make it livable by modern standards.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 11:30:57 pm »

I voted "museum" -

Whilst I am still enchanted by the idea of owning and living in a castle or stone lodge, and at one time entertained the desire to own a castle, after visiting a number of German Schloss and American replicas I put aside the notion. I am envious of the thick walls and stout roof, but the design does not lend itself to comfort in any way.

The rooms are often laid out poorly, connecting one to the next, or along a side corridor. The space is difficult to heat, and always feels damp, the ceilings are too tall for practicality even if one can afford servants to clean. The floors are notorious cold, hard on the feet and legs, unless one puts in flexible subflooring and a wooden floor and then covers them with rugs. Many castles fell into ruin simply because they were abandoned by the owners as unlivable.

I almost tried to buy a nearby home that had such features - thick walls, high ceilings, central hall... but it had all the detriments as well!
It had an inefficient and rusty  boiler of 1920 vintage that needed constant attention, rusty pipes, cast iron radiators, and was notorious for being cold and drafty. Built originally as a park lodge, it would have taken more 4 times the asking price just to to "remodel" (rebuild is more correct) to make it livable by modern standards.

yhs
prof marvel

-  It  would cost a kings ransom to  repair and maintain

or while living the fairy tale - real life starts invading
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 11:50:45 pm »

I want a bouncy one.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 12:23:43 am »

Would "fending off the zombie apocalypse" be "other"?

Just asking...........

BTW  dibbs on castle island..........

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 06:09:13 am »

Would "fending off the zombie apocalypse" be "other"?

Just asking...........

BTW  dibbs on castle island..........

How could I have been so remiss  as to leave that off the list  !!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 08:03:05 am »

Still a Castle Home beckons. I did not live in a castle proper as a child, but I lived in something that came close to it. Including multiple rooms, a "dungeon"  Grin, as well as tall multi-story ramparts in an adjacent companion property which from the street looks really imposing (5 stories tall).  There was a tunnel made from large granite boulders, which rose through the hill to a height of 4 storeys just to get into the lower level of the house.  And on top of the hill there was a mini forest and "jousting grounds"  Grin.  The "moat" was actually inside the castle and was heated and properly chlorinated  Grin  The house is still standing, per Google Maps as of 2011, and I estimate the value between $5 and $7 million US for both adjacent properties ($2.5 million is the average in that neighbourhood as of last year -and I know my grandfathers properties were bigger than the average).

Better description:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37460.msg809383.html#msg809383

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37460.msg850159.html#msg850159

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:50:04 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 08:17:28 am »

that is an amazing place . You were truly blessed

It is a damnable shame resource consents would prevent on from  building  ones own castle on the hill face here!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 08:34:24 am »

Over there that was the norm!  All the neighbours had to excavate the hill down to the street level - which is not smart, because the hill bleeds water naturally, so humidity-related problems (and occasional flooding) were common in the multimillion houses designed by the not-so bright architects.

My grandfather did it out of necessity. The hillside was very cheap when the development was inaugurated and that was (or would become) a fancy neighbourhood. Since he built the house room by room, that dictated the multilevel nature of the property.  Then the problem of how to get to the property on top of the hill required some ingenious solutions.  First a tunnel.  And when my grandmother became ill years later, a scissor-type elevator (you can barely see the shaft between the trees on the left top of the picture
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 07:40:46 pm »

I've always 'threatened' should I come into great fortune, by way of lottery or lawsuit settlement, that I would purchase the coastal castle of Mont-Saint Michel in France and renovate such into a noisy, glaring 1960s-eraamusement park.

Imagine the vista of said grand structure now surrounded and penetrated by wooden roller coasters, in particular the world-record holding beast of a ride, The Guillotine !

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 08:09:05 pm »

I'd go for something alongside a waterfall, to provide power to the Great Machines.

By the way, does this thread make anyone else want to filk? "If I Had a Castle, I'd Castle in the Morning..."

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
CPT_J_Percell
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 09:04:28 pm »

I'd go for something alongside a waterfall, to provide power to the Great Machines.

By the way, does this thread make anyone else want to filk? "If I Had a Castle, I'd Castle in the Morning..."

*Groan* someone had to bring that up.
If I had a castle?
I would have some rooms that are up to date but with all modern tech hidden away but the rest of the castle would be restored to 5/6th C looking.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 01:12:37 am »

Sigh!
If I had a castle I would not only have a portcullis and a drawbridge but a stonking great moat, complete with water dragons, as well.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 01:40:45 am »

I have been wanting to do it.  Glad someone did.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 11:13:44 am »

are you being disrespectful about a  Nimoy classic?
CPT_J_Percell
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 08:28:41 pm »

are you being disrespectful about a  Nimoy classic?

I believe it was The Weavers in 1950 who first sung it!
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 10:44:44 pm »

are you being disrespectful about a  Nimoy classic?

Yaargh! Now I'm imagining a Shatner cover! HELP! Damn you! Damn you. To. Hell!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:46:22 pm by von Corax » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 07:34:12 am »

If i was a castle ... and you were a lady....
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 01:34:14 pm »

That is going to roll round in my head all night now, dammit!

If I had a castle ... stone walls would not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 01:47:35 pm »

"Every man's home is his castle"
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: