The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:05:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charming Article About Late 19th Century Boys and Their World Building Fiction  (Read 478 times)
Burgess Shale
Officer
United States United States

« on: May 28, 2015, 10:09:40 pm »

I was not sure where to post this, but seeing as how the Nelson boys wrote books and imaginary newspapers about their collective paracosm, I felt that Textual would be the place. Elmer, Arthur and Walter Nelson grew up on a farm in New Hampshire in the late 1800's and when they weren't in school of working on the farm, they were documenting a rather elaborate world that they invented together. This includes high adventure and seed catalogs.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2015/05/nelson_archive_at_amherst_a_one_of_a_kind_trove_reveals_what_rural_19th.html

The complete digitized collection hosted by Ahmerst College https://acdc.amherst.edu/browse/partOf/Nelson+Family+Juvenilia+Collection+of+Pamela+Russell+and+Murray+McClellan

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 10:22:35 pm »

Thanks for sharing. It is a delightful insight  to a small boy's imagination

Oh to be able to bottle it!
Burgess Shale
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 10:38:17 pm »

I'm glad that you like it. I thought that the characters and situations that they developed were so much like today's Steampunk personas and back stories.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 10:46:26 pm »

Sadly the efforts to bottle children's imagination suffered a setback due to One, but it is only a matter of time.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: