The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 06:22:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomorrowland  (Read 959 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« on: May 22, 2015, 03:28:25 am »

So it is not exactly steampunk, but it does have some steampunk elements, starting with rocket packs.  In fact a nice one made from two Electrolux vacuum cleaners.

It also includes goggles and a short visit to Verne, Edison and Tesla.  A mention that Tesla had invented an item, but that Edison claimed he had. 

There is also time travel, androids and a host of gadgets.

Enjoyable movie with a message about making the world a better place.

19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cererean
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 10:45:42 pm »

I enjoyed it. My dad didn't. He wanted to watch Mad Max instead, ironically. But it was my birthday, not his.

I don't know why it's flopping, it's a good movie with a good message. Sure, the message is as subtle as an anvil dropped on the head, but as I've said before when commenting on the film, some anvils need to be dropped.

Still, I think people are trying to do better. They always are. I see cause for hope. 200 years ago, we realised black people are humans, not beasts of burden. 100 years ago, we realised women weren't an inferior class of human. 50 years ago, we realised black people aren'teavier th either. Who knows, maybe in 50 years time we'll be acknowledging *all* individuals of Homo sapiens as being people. Smiley

Nearly 100 years ago, the last Tasmanian tiger was killed. That wouldn't happen now, I think. There's cause for hope.

112 years ago, the first human in a heavier than air flying machine took off. 54 years ago, the first human to reach orbit reached orbit. There are now 6 human beings permanently on orbit at all times. That is progress.

Smartphones are connecting millions of the worlds poorest people to useful information and to each other. We've completely eradicated one major human disease, and we've got a few more confined to a few patches of the world. A majority of the worlds population has access to clean water. Sure, we haven't achieved utopia yet, and never will - it is not something that can be achieved, but it is something that can be approached asymptotically. But it is true that we've never had it so good, and it gets better.

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
Never mind the Cogs
Snr. Officer
England England

Chin Chin !

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:03:34 pm »

Sounds like a need to visit the local cinegraphic emporium in suitable attire!

Anyone interested in the local Bandit Country.......

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing at all would ever get done!
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 02:08:18 am »

and here is the ...hey look Tomorrowland IS steampunk....pr . I have not seen the film but the marketing department saying it is steampunk is not convincing me. Alright for followers of brand but I still think I will wait for the dvd http://www.space.com/29485-tomorrowland-steampunk-rocket-disney.html
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 03:10:31 pm »

Watched this last night.
Entertaining movie with definite Steampunk elements for about 10 minutes when they are in Paris.

The 'message' will probably be lost on cynical old people....but if some kids see it and develop or change their attitudes to the world in a positive way I can't see it as a bad thing.

And when did 'Oh Bollocks!' become acceptable in 12 Cert movies.... Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 03:52:42 pm »

They did not do the bloody research.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: