The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 10:54:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where Ever Could This Beautifully Haunting Image of a Ghost Tramway Be From?  (Read 1543 times)
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 04:02:46 am »

Mmm, me thinks that boat wreck shot is PSed, too. Sun light coming from 2 directions.
left onto the clouds, right onto the boat.

Just sayin'. Undecided

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 04:07:11 am »

I also have no issue with either camp.  

I had a much longer post, but didn't want to open that can of worms LOL

*and I just saw the reply about the boat.  Maybe so.  I just surfed for spooky photos, and saw it, plucked it and shared. 

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 04:33:24 am »

Mmm, me thinks that boat wreck shot is PSed, too. Sun light coming from 2 directions.
left onto the clouds, right onto the boat.

Just sayin'. Undecided

It might be 'Shopped, or it might just be HDRed. HDR can produce some unnatural-looking lighting effects in a perfectly legitimate image.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 06:32:02 am »

Yahoo search says it's HD, and there are other photos from the same vantage point showing cloud progression. . . but all the links attached seem to be dead. I'll try Google.

Edit: No luck, Google doesn't even seem to have any pics of it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:37:21 am by VampirateMace » Logged

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 07:25:36 am »

http://www.shutterstock.com/de/video/clip-2471579-stock-footage-scary-fog-clouds-behind-old-shipwreck-ghost-ship.html

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 10:56:44 am »

Assuming that the shipwreck is not photoshopped, I think that the location can be narrowed down somewhat...

1) How on Earth did it get there in the first place?  If you look at the stern of the ship you can see the shaft tunnel (the passage by which the propellor shaft exits the hull) sticking out of the water.  The propellor itself has been removed, not surprising really as they're generally made of bronze which commands a high scrap value, but if it were still there it too would be out of the water.  Once the prop is out of the water the ship is going nowhere, so it couldn't have gotten there under its own power.  Three possibilities:

a) It did get there under its own power, but at high tide.  The photograph is taken with the tide out.  
b) It was towed there.  
c) It was thrown there in a storm.  

2) The ship is of a typical freighter design of the period mid-1940s to early-1960s.  You can tell this by the design of the mast- it's decked out with fittings for derricks and booms, which were made redundant by the container revolution of the 1960s and 1970s (modern freighters tend either to be fitted with large cranes or else none at all, and all loading and unloading is carried out by dock cranes).  The wreck itself is in good condition, save for the bows which have collapsed, and the general lack of decrepitude about it suggest it to be a fairly recent wrecking, and therefore we're looking for somewhere where this general design of ship has survived in use for longer than elsewhere in the world.  Africa springs to mind here, also Indonesia and Australasia- however see below.  

3) The horizon is completely devoid of any landmass. Therefore we're looking for a coastline onto either a large sea or ocean. (This may seem obvious but look at an atlas or a globe and you'll quickly find that on most coastlines there is landmass in sight on the horizon).  This pretty much rules out Indonesia as a location in my opinion.  The west coast of Africa however looks more likely, being on the Atlantic Ocean.  

4) A google search for 'African Shipwrecks' brings up this:  https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=African+shipwrecks&biw=1525&bih=672&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=q0FHVeL5OIjdaub5gbAH&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAA&dpr=0.9  (look at the first image result)....

5) Following that image up I found out about the 'Skeleton Coast' of Namibia, where ships run aground in the surf and collapse into ruins over the course of decades.

My guess, therefore, is that we're looking at an image of a shipwreck on Namibia's Atlantic coastline, where weather conditions make precise navigation close to shore difficult.  Perhaps in a storm, in fog, this ship got in too close and went aground.  A calm sea leaves it high and dry whilst frequent storms batter at the hull, causing it to gradually collapse.        
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:00:14 am by James Harrison » Logged

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 11:57:06 am »

Thanks for the investigation.  That is sort of what I was hoping for.  Some insights.  I don't want to hijack this thread, but if the OP agrees, maybe someone else has a cool old photograph that could be "dissected" by the members.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2015, 09:06:38 pm »

Thanks for the investigation.  That is sort of what I was hoping for.  Some insights.  I don't want to hijack this thread, but if the OP agrees, maybe someone else has a cool old photograph that could be "dissected" by the members.

I am all for thread jacks ,  tangents and interesting diversions .  If the good folk on BG wish to use it for there own intriguing  groovy mystery shots   , I am more than happy  and will enjoy  looking  and reading.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 06:15:48 am »

For the next contribution we have this  mysterious  tram track   township.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 11:06:01 am »

I know the origin of this photo, it's from a drill excersize. It's still quite haunting though.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 01:49:56 pm »

Are you my Mummy?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2015, 01:51:10 pm »

I love abandoned places.
I'm sure this has been posted several times over the years but for those who haven't seen it....
http://distractify.com/culture/arts/the-most-spectacular-abandoned-places-in-the-world/

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 02:36:34 pm »

I know the origin of this photo, it's from a drill excersize. It's still quite haunting though.

I would say it's possibly Russian(?) about 1920's. Going the cap/uniform worn by the officer in the middle
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:38:07 pm by Mercury Wells » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 03:02:04 pm »

I love abandoned places.
I'm sure this has been posted several times over the years but for those who haven't seen it....
http://distractify.com/culture/arts/the-most-spectacular-abandoned-places-in-the-world/

that is an intriguing link. The hospital images  followed by an organ room threw me for a second.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 03:04:11 pm »

That image and similar on the net are always spooky.  How must it have been for children who had to do  gas mask drills andcarry them around.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 07:23:34 pm »

I love abandoned places.

One of my favourite UrbEx/Abandoned Places galleries is Opacity. (You weren't planning to do anything else for the rest of the day, were you?)
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2015, 07:34:57 pm »

I love abandoned places.

One of my favourite UrbEx/Abandoned Places galleries is Opacity. (You weren't planning to do anything else for the rest of the day, were you?)

Steampunk heaven? Armour Meat Packing Plant
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: