The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 10:52:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where Ever Could This Beautifully Haunting Image of a Ghost Tramway Be From?  (Read 1480 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: May 02, 2015, 09:55:49 pm »

Can ghosts  &  ghoulies be steampunk too? Headless tramway-man in the Woods

{ at risk of being "that poster"} A friend  sent me this image  of a tram way  & cross roads in the woods.  It is floating around on the internet.  It is so ethereal and evocative .   We  are wondering where the location is . We are totally  intrigued by the image.  It looks like it is a  passenger service for ghosts and spectres . 

No doubt the building and the tracks are long gone  ,does  anyone out there in the aether  have any ideas  as to where it may have been?   Is the tram  type   familiar or the station style recognizable for any history buffs  or  enthusiasts?

my guess it was remnant  from what had once been a busy station  in a small abandoned  town  or on the out skirts of a faster growing city.

Please feel free to comment on the image  or potential location. It was too beautifully and steampunk not to share with you.

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 10:07:28 pm »

Central Europe? Oh I'll have guess at either Bulgaria/Romania. Any chance of enlarging it to see the destination on the tram or the board in front of the building?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 10:20:32 pm »

Central Europe? Oh I'll have guess at either Bulgaria/Romania. Any chance of enlarging it to see the destination on the tram or the board in front of the building?

I was wondering if it was  Central or eastern Europe

I tried  zooming on my rudimentary pictures  file , the pixels were blurred further with enlargement.  How do Vegas CSI do it??

Transylvania Tramways  on the sign would have made it so much easier  Undecided
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 10:36:37 pm »

What a pity as it is very atmospheric.  Grin

As for the building style, we need Mr. Harrison's help.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:51:01 pm by Mercury Wells » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 10:49:03 pm »

It is almost eerie.  It makes it more  so  when you enlarge the photo.  There is no visible driver, passengers  or  station person through the windows.  Its like a vampire's station at  twilight .

Each time  one looks at the image , one see something else. The "sign" below the  building  when zoomed , is the front steps.
selectedgrub
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 10:50:19 pm »

Tram Route 58
Budapest.

selectedgrub
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 10:51:44 pm »

http://hampage.hu/trams/58-as/e_index.html
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 10:59:01 pm »

The old Zugligeti tram station

Tram Route 58
(roughly 40 sec in you'll see the old station)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 11:22:07 pm »

WOW !!!

Thank you for sharing .

That was was quick work Mr Selectedgrub .  How did you locate it ? Don't tell me you  have been there and taken photos  of just that spot  Wink

That was an interesting little video Mr Wells
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 11:43:08 pm »

I like mysteries like this...we I need more of them.   Grin
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 12:58:34 am »

I like mysteries like this...we I need more of them.   Grin

Yes we  do!

We need an obscure tricky  one we can get a 16 pager out of.  All those with burning  queries  on mystery location or ID photos , urban myths , what happened to???, in search of' s should start threads.

Because so many of the rest of us like  being  inquiring minds   and there are many secret Sherlock Holmes on here who like solving mysteries .
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 02:42:01 am »

Just 16 pages?  Shocked Surely not?....we need more than that BWHahahahahahahahahahaha.  Grin
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 07:25:16 am »

How do Vegas CSI do it??

I am always amazed at how those sorts of shows know what would make me the most irritated. You are not going to zoom in a 72dpi 90's webcam still, in order to see the reflection of the killer in a dead guy's eye, both of those things are not likely.

Because so many of the rest of us like  being  inquiring minds, and there are many secret Sherlock Holmes on here who like solving mysteries.

Wait, it's supposed to be secret?

More mysteries,? Okay. I've got a picture of a kid with a baby elephant somewhere. . . someone posted it here, but later when I went to look for additional information. I never really found anything. - Eh, somebody will probably recognize it as soon as I post it.

edit:

edit 2:
Strike that. . . I got curious again and found the source. It's apparently from a photoshop contest:
http://www.worth1000.com/entries/71827/baby-elephant
I thought the elephant looked small, even for a baby.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:47:49 am by VampirateMace » Logged

selectedgrub
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 07:43:24 am »

Edit: Nevermind you found it.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 07:50:29 am »

Yeah. . . I feel kind of silly, because it was like the second thing on the web search this time. I don't feel bad about not recognizing the kid, there's so many famous people/images I would totally fail to recognize.
Sigmund Shaw
Deck Hand

The Yard has been notified.

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 04:58:57 pm »

Awesome picture and awesome help!!
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 05:15:35 pm »

What a lovely and haunting image.  I will look.  A friend sent me photos of an abandoned town in the Appalachian Mountain range.  It was cleared out when they founded the Smokey Mountains National Park.   

I hope others will also continue to add historic photos, mystery on no.   Some of these speak so strongly.

And as a person new to the site, and new to steampunk, I can give you my complete blessing to include ghosts in your concept of "steampunk" LOL

Everyone I have asked has said that this genre is more inclusive than restrictive.   If others include magic, and all sorts of aberrant science, then why not ghosts?

VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 10:38:15 pm »

Yeah, Ranger, I'm pretty sure if we can summon Cthulhu, we can have magic and ghosts. Then again, some of our number prefer science.

Either way, the station does look haunted.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 10:59:53 pm »

Oh, the amount of steampunk gaming figures I've seen loaded down with equipment for the purposes of spectral and apparitional management...
I say, who shall we summon, old bean?

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Ranger Reid
Zeppelin Captain

https://rangerreid.wordpress.com/

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 11:16:59 pm »

How about this shipwreck with the clouds and all.......   nice and spooky/ steamy to me

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 11:56:37 pm »

So that tram is not the Transylvania 6-5000 line?

For atmospheric stuff, keep in mind there was the London Necropolis Railway for transporting corpses from central London to cemeteries outside the city. If ever there was a train that should be haunted, it's that one.

I don't feel ghosts are in themselves steampunk. You need to add something. For example the aforementioned ghost hunting equipment. There was also a suggestion in victorian times that ghosts might be capable of moving through a fourth spatial dimension, a la Flatland. They could of course also have a connection to the aether.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 12:41:21 am »

How about this shipwreck with the clouds and all.......   nice and spooky/ steamy to me

that has a calm before the storm  feel
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 01:10:00 am »

So that tram is not the Transylvania 6-5000 line?

For atmospheric stuff, keep in mind there was the London Necropolis Railway for transporting corpses from central London to cemeteries outside the city. If ever there was a train that should be haunted, it's that one.

Not by the dead, though. It would be something much more complex, because the ghosts of the dead wouldn't usually be hanging around the graveyard, funeral home, coffin factory etc. unless they actually died there, or were trapped and cursed to remain there. The Undead? Funeral transport can be seen by various turns as morbid and Gothic, but the truth is, why would it be haunted when no-one actually died on board or in the right-of-way?

Those are the beginning and end of the line, respectively, for the old Haslems' Creek Necropolis line in Sydney. The second seems to be labelled incorrectly.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 01:57:01 am »

Yeah, Ranger, I'm pretty sure if we can summon Cthulhu, we can have magic and ghosts. Then again, some of our number prefer science.

"Then again?" I'm not sure it's really a matter of either/or. Spiritualism was a thing in the late Victorian era, and there were some serious attempts at "scientific" investigation. As for us, well, dig through the Tactile threads a year or three back for photos of Will Rockwell's Spirit Harvesters. (He built several of them.)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 03:17:42 am »

"Then again?" I'm not sure it's really a matter of either/or. Spiritualism was a thing in the late Victorian era, and there were some serious attempts at "scientific" investigation. As for us, well, dig through the Tactile threads a year or three back for photos of Will Rockwell's Spirit Harvesters. (He built several of them.)

Oh, I don't view it as an either/or personally, there just seems to be a large number of people that can't handle both spirituality/religion and science at the same time. There's a club for science and an opposing one for the occult here. . . I didn't feel like I could join either, because, well, I like both. But, yes, I've seen the spirit harvesters, he did some very nice work.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: