The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 03:16:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian Architecture Photo Project  (Read 2792 times)
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2015, 04:14:56 pm »

This one could be a screensaver...Call it "Life Amongst Death" or some-such:

Very nice work!
Thank you, I've actually got the one with the tree branch and the out of focus tombstones as my background. Feel free to use it if you would like. I'm just flattered someone likes them.
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2015, 04:41:34 pm »

Nicely done.  Both the pictures and figuring out how to post.  Look forward to seeing more, here and on Instagram.

Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2015, 07:10:26 pm »

My family come from Abertysswg originally - my Grandmother is the last of 13 children raised there and she's 91, but sadly been living in Birmingham since WWII. I visited the area several times during my childhood, but the chances to visit are diminishing as I get older - I have some second cousin's left in the area, but everyone else has left or passed on. I keep meaning to go back, but I've been working an awful lot this year and haven't had a chance.

I love your photos, especially as I'm a cemetery researcher and historical archaeologist. Which churchyard were the photos taken in? I presume it was a churchyard, because laying stones flat as a path happens most often in churchyards...

If you like old graves, you should pay the cemeteries near Tredegar a visit - there's even a seperate plot for the victims of a cholera outbreak up on the hillside. I don't know how well you know that area, but I would never of found it if my uncle hadn't shown me, so I've labeled it on a google maps screenshot for you.

It's a beautiful spot!

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Serrac
Officer

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2015, 11:43:18 am »

Another graveyard worth visiting for Victorian headstones & memorials is the Rosary Cemetery in Norwich. As a taster, see: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rosary+cemetery

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2015, 07:34:40 pm »

Another graveyard worth visiting for Victorian headstones & memorials is the Rosary Cemetery in Norwich. As a taster, see: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rosary+cemetery
As beautiful as it looks Norwich is definitely too far away for me to travel
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2015, 08:54:20 pm »

Miss Aemilia

Maybe Highgate Cemetery & Brookwood Cemetery, would be more to your liking.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2015, 09:26:01 pm »

The United Kingdom is full of incredible Victorian cemeteries, all of those posted are worth a visit. Much nearer to you though is Cathays Cemetery Cardiff, it's the third largest in the UK. I wrote a blog post about it here:
http://cemeteryresearcher.com/2014/12/21/cathays-cemetery-cardiff/
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2016, 06:47:22 am »

And now for my next trick ladies and gentlemen I shall resurrect my thread from the dead!

I've not been active since last summer, needless to say I am not dead I was just focusing on my studies. However I am back and I shall push onward with my little project. I managed to take some close up photos of Coventry Cathedral as well as some photos in London Road Cemetery one of the Victorian graveyards while I was in university. For those who are still interested in my project you can find them on my Instagram here https://www.instagram.com/steampunk_em_97/ (can never get the blasted photo uploads to work on here properly). I'm also hoping to take some more photos from around the local area now that I am home in South Wales. I will also be bringing you some photos from 'The South Wales Steampunk Extroardinarium' in Blaenavon Ironworks in July too.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:49:21 pm by von Corax » Logged
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2016, 09:32:20 am »

Glad to see you back and to know you have continued with your photography!

If I am not mistaken London Road Cemetery is the one in Coventry? If so, you got much nicer photos than I ever have there! It keeps raining very hard when I visit...

I'll look forward to more photos, especially from South Wales- I'm missing that part of the world a lot at the moment.
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2016, 01:04:18 pm »

Glad to see you back and to know you have continued with your photography!

If I am not mistaken London Road Cemetery is the one in Coventry? If so, you got much nicer photos than I ever have there! It keeps raining very hard when I visit...

I'll look forward to more photos, especially from South Wales- I'm missing that part of the world a lot at the moment.

Hi, yes London Road is the one in Coventry. I was fortunate that when I went there I had perfect weather to take my pictures and plenty of time to wander around. I'm flattered that you like them so much. Unfortunately the beautiful weather we were having Wales has recently taken a turn, It's now a bit too grey and dreary for my liking. However I've checked the forecast and should be out with my cameras next week taking photos all over (including Abertywssg Smiley )
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2016, 01:07:31 pm »

I really will have to get the cameras out and do some serious photography - when I come back from Ireland, that is!
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2016, 12:35:14 am »

I really will have to get the cameras out and do some serious photography - when I come back from Ireland, that is!

I'd love to see some of your work when you do Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: