The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 11:45:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian Architecture Photo Project  (Read 2795 times)
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 09:37:38 am »

I didn't even know we had a geographical/architecture thread I'd be happy for the mods to move it if they see fit and I'll change the title too
CPT_J_Percell
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 12:52:24 pm »

(snip)

Merthyr even used to have a train station designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel but they knocked it down so they could build a Tesco.

Unfortunately true of so many places; instead or reusing these buildings that are so full of character, they are just demolished to make way for some nondescript box.

All the best with your project and exams, and looking forward to seeing the fruits of this.

Yours,
Miranda.

Or in the case of a local pub, slowly remove the roof letting rain in to damage the inside the file to demolish it because its unfit to be reused!

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 03:23:17 pm »

(snip)

Merthyr even used to have a train station designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel but they knocked it down so they could build a Tesco.

Unfortunately true of so many places; instead or reusing these buildings that are so full of character, they are just demolished to make way for some nondescript box.

All the best with your project and exams, and looking forward to seeing the fruits of this.

Yours,
Miranda.

Or in the case of a local pub, slowly remove the roof letting rain in to damage the inside the file to demolish it because its unfit to be reused!

I wouldn't worry too much about that, they did the same with Merthyr's YMCA building (built in 1911). However a historical trust has stepped in and is turning it into an educational building. I cant take photos of it at the moment as its blocked off while the builders work on the inside and make it structurally sound again. Here's a link with a picture of just how run down it was. If this building can be saved i'm sure your local pub can with the right funding Smiley
 http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/merthyr-ymca-could-turned-education-6481536
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 03:32:11 pm »

...I wouldn't worry too much about that, they did the same with Merthyr's YMCA building (built in 1911). However a historical trust has stepped in and is turning it into an educational building. I cant take photos of it at the moment as its blocked off while the builders work on the inside and make it structurally sound again. Here's a link with a picture of just how run down it was. If this building can be saved i'm sure your local pub can with the right funding Smiley
 http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/merthyr-ymca-could-turned-education-6481536

Even derelict, I like the looks of this building:

Please keep us posted!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 03:35:32 pm »

...Or in the case of a local pub, slowly remove the roof letting rain in to damage the inside the file to demolish it because its unfit to be reused!

I'm willing to bet that you're not talking hypothetically...

Would it be too spoiler-y if you gave us the name and location of this pub? I'm curious to see if there are pictures of it before it was allowed to go downhill.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 03:47:03 pm »

#pragma mod-hat ON
I'm inclined to leave this thread where it is for the time being. Once Ms. Aemilia has some photos to post we can consider moving this thread, or she could start a new thread in Geographical.

I didn't even know we had a geographical/architecture thread I'd be happy for the mods to move it if they see fit and I'll change the title too

I see you've already re-named your thread, so that will doubtless help more of the intended audience find it where it currently resides. However, if I'm interpreting the moderator's comment correctly, they'll wait to actually move it to Geographical once you have some of your photos up. So, ball's in your court.

I will add that I'm quite excited to see more buildings from Wales.

...Merthyr even used to have a train station designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel but they knocked it down so they could build a Tesco.

To me, that just seems like a criminal act.
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 05:25:13 pm »

Well GCCC, with regards to the old train station don't even go there... it happened before I was born and I'm still angry about it. As for the looks of the YMCA you'll be pleased to know that the red brick and terracotta facades are a popular feature in local architecture Smiley I really can't wait to get started on this project so hopefully the wait wont be too long now.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2015, 07:23:31 pm »

Excellent!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 03:15:46 am »

Get out there NOW!!!

We are eagerly awaiting!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 05:12:58 am »

I will have to admit to a guilty fetish for old brick  and stucco Municipal  buildings,  factories and warehouses. They have a character and patina that has  a rather contrary attraction for me.

Industrial areas of the  Mid West of US have  intriguing buildings

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 05:44:00 am »

Maybe more Edwardian ,  this link  has  images of classic Kiwi buildings  that were  the industrial  beginnings of our nation. Arguably they had more thought , love and dedication put into their design than family  homes of that era. Some of them still occasionally come up for sale as conversions.

Dairy Factories

http://ketenewplymouth.peoplesnetworknz.info/en/taranaki_dairy_factories

Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 07:49:09 am »

I find that the more industrial buildings always have very interesting buildings whether its the grand buildings of the people who owned the steelworks and the mines and the mills or the terraced housing of their workers or town houses of the new emerging middle class. I'm pleased to report that I ordered the last bit i needed for my camera yesterday so once it arrives I can start.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 11:42:17 am »

Well GCCC, with regards to the old train station don't even go there... it happened before I was born and I'm still angry about it. As for the looks of the YMCA you'll be pleased to know that the red brick and terracotta facades are a popular feature in local architecture Smiley I really can't wait to get started on this project so hopefully the wait wont be too long now.

At the risk of  looking  highly eccentric  [ maybe a little to late ];   YMCA buildings   across the globe do have a certain style and sense of  solidness about them that lends a  reassurance  to the traveler or transient in need of accommodation

http://www.snipview.com/q/YMCA%20buildings%20in%20the%20United%20States

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2015, 07:18:25 pm »

Look at the Spanish roof tile on that YMCA at the top of your last post.

I know it's in the US as I can see the street and American flag.  But also look at those palm trees.  Must be a coastal region an most likely on the Eastern coast.  Where is it? Florida?  Or one of the Carolinas?

And the following is not a building, but a house built by an Ex Confederate, Major Luttlefield and a benefactor to the University of Texas at Austin.  Controversial, due to his continuing hatred of the "Yankees" after the Civil War and his architectural influence early in the university's life, including statues that now are politically charged.  Nevertheless, the architecture of the university combined Victorian and Spanish influences, and his house, while not Spanish shows the mix of natural red limestone with red clay brick.  The university buildings combine cream coloured limestone, shellstone (low compression limestone showing shell fossils), and Spanish Terracota roof tiles.

The Littlefield House outside of the Univ. of Texas at Austin (© 2007 (CC) Larry D. Moore)

The oldest surviving building at the university is the Dorothy L Gebauer building (1904) which shows the theme followed by the rest of the university.  Sadly, the 1880s maim building was razed, to build the main tower at the university, an art-deco 1940s building...

Look at the slide show.  It shows the Gebauer building, as well as the UT tower and other buildings at the university. In keeping with the Spanish theme, there's also some interesting Neo-Baroque buildings like the biology laboratories (keep sliding the photos).
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/ericejohnson/3653810501/

http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Man-survives-70-foot-fall-from-UT-Austin-building-5666879.php

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:43:39 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2015, 08:10:44 pm »

Look at the Spanish roof tile on that YMCA at the top of your last post.

I know it's in the US as I can see the street and American flag.  But also look at those palm trees.  Must be a coastal region an most likely on the Eastern coast.  Where is it? Florida?  Or one of the Carolinas?

And the following is not a building, but a house built by an Ex Confederate, Major Luttlefield and a benefactor to the University of Texas at Austin.  Controversial, due to his continuing hatred of the "Yankees" after the Civil War and his architectural influence early in the university's life, including statues that now are politically charged.  Nevertheless, the architecture of the university combined Victorian and Spanish influences, and his house, while not Spanish shows the mix of natural red limestone with red clay brick.  The university buildings combine cream coloured limestone, shellstone (low compression limestone showing shell fossils), and Spanish Terracota roof tiles.

The Littlefield House outside of the Univ. of Texas at Austin (© 2007 (CC) Larry D. Moore)

The oldest surviving building at the university is the Dorothy L Gebauer building (1904) which shows the theme followed by the rest of the university.  Sadly, the 1880s maim building was razed, to build the main tower at the university, an art-deco 1940s building...

Look at the slide show.  It shows the Gebauer building, as well as the UT tower and other buildings at the university. In keeping with the Spanish theme, there's also some interesting Neo-Baroque buildings like the biology laboratories (keep sliding the photos).
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/ericejohnson/3653810501/

http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Man-survives-70-foot-fall-from-UT-Austin-building-5666879.php

Groovy house

The YMCA above mentioned is in Pomona Vally California by the looks.
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2015, 11:44:05 pm »

Hi Everyone I have good news, my CF reader came today which means I'll be able to get started soon. I'll be starting the project officially on Monday as Thursday I have my A-Level results and I'll need that time to contact universities and make sure everything runs smoothly. I joined the rest of my generation and got an Instagram account for sharing my photos. I'll be posting all the photographs on Instagram. (I can also post them straight to the forum if you would prefer)
When I was moving my photos from my CF card to my laptop I found a few pictures from an old art project of my local graveyard which dates back to the 19thC. I haven't really looked properly but at a first glance the oldest grave I saw was dated 1866. Those photos are up if you want to take a look and I can post them down below if you would like. I'm open to any constructive criticism (Sort of just figuring photography out as I go along).

https://instagram.com/steampunk_em_97/
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2015, 12:22:53 am »

Awesome news!

Posting straight to here would be most welcome! Smiley
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2015, 12:43:07 pm »

Started following you on instagram.

Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2015, 01:31:17 pm »

Started following you on instagram.

Thank you very much Smiley
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2015, 01:39:50 pm »

OK guys here's my attempt to upload one of the photos on here (sorry if I mess it up)
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2015, 02:05:19 pm »

Why is this website so hard to post pics to? How are you people getting pictures to come up? What sorcery is this?!
I read the little thread with the instructions in and i think i'm doing everything right... i'm just so confused. Huh For a teenager I really am useless where computers are concerned.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2015, 02:14:43 pm »

OK guys here's my attempt to upload one of the photos on here (sorry if I mess it up)

You have the basic idea right, but I don't think you can share from instagram.  The image must be have a JPG or GIF ending.  You have used the instagram page.  You can link to that using the URL tags as in.

https://instagram.com/p/6QitjIK8av/

You probably need to use another photo sharing site where you can get a URL with a JPG or GIF ending.

Preview is VERY helpful.
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2015, 03:20:47 pm »

You have the basic idea right, but I don't think you can share from instagram.  The image must be have a JPG or GIF ending.  You have used the instagram page.  You can link to that using the URL tags as in.

https://instagram.com/p/6QitjIK8av/

You probably need to use another photo sharing site where you can get a URL with a JPG or GIF ending.

Preview is VERY helpful.
Thank you very much if I had half a brain i'd be dangerous
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2015, 03:50:58 pm »

Okay lets try this again... I haven't had a proper look but at a first glance the oldest grave is dated 1866 however a lot of the graves are too weathered to read. The church on the grounds is also 19thC and is architecturally based on a coalmine winding house (I'll get pictures of this ASAP)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2015, 03:57:24 pm »

This one could be a screensaver...Call it "Life Amongst Death" or some-such:

Very nice work!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: