The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 07:20:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Steampunk, really?  (Read 3340 times)
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2015, 12:37:41 pm »

Fake British accents? Ugh, I was not aware that was happening. I've not really hung out with other US steampunks much due to living in the middle of nowhere, and every time I've tried to go to a con, some big emergency has come up. Can I just apologize for the US?  

Before we start apologising, let me state that I have not encountered fake British accents yet.  At least not since 2008. I did once encounter a fake Russian accent.  Does that make me strange?

I can do a music-hall Aberdeen accent that can mortally embarass my entire family if any True Scotsmen (tm) are within earshot. Or even if there are no Scots aroond. Hoot mon.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2015, 01:10:58 pm »

Fake British accents? Ugh, I was not aware that was happening. I've not really hung out with other US steampunks much due to living in the middle of nowhere, and every time I've tried to go to a con, some big emergency has come up. Can I just apologize for the US? 
Off topic I know but has anyone from Britain actually heard someone use the RP accent who wasn't a politicain or part of the royal family? For it being something foreigners (especially americans) seem to make such a deal of I have never heard someone use it.
Argus McJohnsten
Gunner
United States United States

Gravatar

Still learning.

rovingtriker
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2015, 06:20:51 pm »

There's an unwritten rule Americans have to botch the accent from everyone we've ever had a quarrel with. Including ourselves. The southern accent that so many others use to sound American actually came about before the civil war, when the Confederates were trying to secede from the Union. Then the Union population started using it to make fun of the Confederates and imply ignorance due to their different way of speaking.

Find out what you cannot do, and then, go out and do it.
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2015, 08:24:36 pm »

Off topic I know but has anyone from Britain actually heard someone use the RP accent who wasn't a politicain or part of the royal family? For it being something foreigners (especially americans) seem to make such a deal of I have never heard someone use it.

That's a good point. You don't often hear an American trying to sound like someone from Birkenhead or North Yorkshire. There's an old couple in our village who speak with a lovely old fashioned RP accent. I remember a time when all Church of England ministers used to speak like that. Some of my cousins who went to private school speak with the modern RP accent as heard by politicians and news readers.
I rather like the old fashioned RP accent and have been gradually trying to cultivated one myself. One day it will be my everyday accent.  Cheesy
I used to know an elderly retired army colonel and he spoke like someone from the BBC from the 1950s. I found it a delight to listen to him.

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2015, 09:33:20 pm »

I'm in the South East of England, lots of "good" schools and wealthy families around here, so yes I hear it quite regularly and have had a couple of girlfriends who speak with decidedly Received Pronunciation.

In fact, (going slightly off topic) that was one reason I became most impressed by the actress Rose Leslie. Any Downton Abbey or Game Of Thrones fans will no doubt be familiar with her. Her roles in both those shows called for a Northern accent, which (to my Southern ears anyway) was so convincing I assumed for ages she was Northern. As it turns out she actually is Scottish, but when I eventually saw her interviewed, now THAT is an RP accent!

Game of Thrones Ygritte - Rose Leslie Thronecast Interview

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:46:31 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: