The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 05:57:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ranks are once again based on Time Online!  (Read 3092 times)
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2015, 02:03:53 pm »

Ok, there appears to be a bit of a flap about this, people don't like the demotions it seems.

I got promoted as it turns out, but I'm not bothered either way.

Could we revert back to post count and keep the status quo happy?

I'm afraid I have a feeling that people will have to like it or lump it. Although the default software used here ranks people based on post count, the mod to rank people based on time online was (from what I understand) a defense mechanism against spammers (since Swabs can't send/view PM's) so as prevent spammers posting a few random topics to get their rank up and then bombarding members with vexatious messages. It also encourages people to hang around and think about what they're adding to discussions rather than creating a load of topics/making a large number of largely meaningless posts for the sake of kudos that comes through a higher rank.

The downside is of course it can encourage lurking, but I'd rather be a member of a forum where people lurk and occasionally interject than somewhere where tons of people post but little actual discussion takes place (it's one of the main reasons I prefer here to the British Steampunk Community Farcebook page).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2015, 02:24:36 pm »

Of course if everyone lurked and no one post, the site would be of little value in short order.

Exactly, but where else on the internet can you find such a wonderful repository of esoteric knowledge and intellectual discussion (along with the general shooting of the breeze) which is (largely) unencumbered by trolls and free of agenda pushing without a heavy handed admin team?

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2015, 06:06:04 pm »

Very few places, I would imagine.
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2015, 06:19:19 pm »

Indeed. The fact that we are a fairly niche and tight knit community and the fairly 'hands off' attitude of proteus, and therefore the mod team, contributes to that in my opinion.

Also, in regards to the suggested reversion, I didn't mean I was unhappy with the demotion, doesn't matter much to me, but just pointing it out  Roll Eyes

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: