The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 10:49:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REALLY cheap steampunk? (just for fun)  (Read 895 times)
josecou
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: April 18, 2015, 08:05:11 am »

So, I have about two or three dollars left on my Amazon account, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some steampunk items to buy? As the title suggests, this is more just for fun, but feel free to make suggestions! Thanks!
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:40:00 pm »

I thought this was going to be more about stuff like the cardboard hats covered in cardboard cogwheels, that my fellow Americans seem to think are okay. I suppose I wouldn't begrudge anyone a cardboard hat if they prefer it, it just seems tacky to me.

Maybe you should get some making supplies, that's around the right price range for some interesting craft parts. Also, the metal collapsible cups have a slightly steampunk feel, and some of the smaller ones fit that price range.
http://www.amazon.com/Telescopic-Collapsible-Stainless-Steel-Glass/dp/B0042B36Q8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1429976333&sr=8-13&keywords=folding+cup

josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:13:35 am »

Wow. Those cups are cool. Maybe that'll go on my wishlist.  Cheesy
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:57:39 am »

They are steampunk  and could  be practical and functional
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 02:12:54 am »

Check out the dollar store; imagine what all the cheap crap would look like if painted to look like antique materials.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 03:17:40 am »

Check out the dollar store; imagine what all the cheap crap would look like if painted to look like antique materials.
I totally do that, I imagine there's some cheap plastic stuff on amazon that would be pretty cool modded as well. Maybe a bulk pack of cheapy squirt guns to make into rayguns would fit your budget, josecou.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 12:36:26 pm »

Watch chain is always pretty cheap and it is surprising how useful it is. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 06:49:43 am »

If It Is Not too late, may I be so bold as to suggest something for the greater good:

snip------------------------------
American Red Cross: Nepal Earthquake Relief

A powerful magnitude-7.8 earthquake struck Nepal on April 25, near the city of Kathmandu. It caused widespread destruction across the region.

The American Red Cross and its humanitarian partners are working together to meet the needs of those impacted by this disaster. Your financial contribution will support their ongoing efforts to provide assistance.
endsnip------------------------------

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=1297793011&ref=spkl_1_0_2084604302&ie=UTF8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-signpost&pf_rd_r=0VCFZM8236E0M95P4K7R&pf_rd_p=2084604302&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=nepal&qid=1430372932

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
selectedgrub
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 07:04:18 am »

^^ That.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 07:29:46 am »

If you do give to a relief fund online, make sure it's a source you trust, there are a lot of scumbags that set up 'relief funds' after disasters hoping to catch some of the cash for themselves (that link looks like it's to donate directly using Amazon as the middle man, so I assume it's good). 
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 01:19:44 pm »

Thanks for making me think.  Just sent a small donation to help in Nepal.  I did it in the name of Brass Goggles. 

Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 11:48:58 pm »

Oh, the things that you could do if you had a few rolls of brass-colored duct tape.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: