The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 11:47:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too little "Punk" in steampunk?  (Read 2138 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 11:28:40 am »

Just a friendly reminder from your neighborhood moderator to keep things civil in here.

Nobody has crossed lines yet, but I could see it going that way.

this is a very serious issue of social importance  and your coming on here  being all sarcastic  and putting a cog on the works  is really not helping

Those  week end apocalypse  warriors  and waist coat wearers   who rely on modern appliances  aren't real steampunk enthusiasts

They are just goths who  want to  catch some sunlight  on Sunday picnics.

Grin Cheesy Shocked Kiss Wink
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 11:30:39 am »

I'm useless at picking up sarcasm/jokes in real life, and even worse over the internet, but I think that was a joke?

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 11:32:54 am »

I'm useless at picking up sarcasm/jokes in real life, and even worse over the internet, but I think that was a joke?

It was

I was amalgamating  some venomous accusations  and slanderous slurs I have witnessed  while treading these boards  Wink
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 11:33:28 am »

Good good, carry on!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 11:37:38 am »

Etiquette for social intercourse warns  the reader not to discuss politics or religion  in  polite company.

Steampunk for many embraces both controversial and incendiary subjects
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2015, 03:48:34 pm »

Regarding the less pleasant parts of the Victorian era....it was the time when they were challenged and many of them came to an end or at least the process of ending them began in earnest.

The abolition of slavery, restrictions of child labor, extending the voting franchise, improved levels of literacy, better health through improved sanitation, prison reform, the co-operative movement, mutual societies, animal welfare, better wages and working conditions and many other changes happened as a result of a wide range of people at that time. Some were academics, some preachers and others were revolutionary rabble rousers who would appeal to the most hardline punk for acts like locking a debt collector in the cellar until he ate his bills (apparently the founder of the RSPCA did this).

So the Victorian era is more complex than many realize. just as you can't tell a book by it's cover neither do clothes maketh the man, Many 'street punks' of the time would dress as well as they could and spend their days swaggering around their patch, the prostitutes of Whitechapel would buy the latest fashion in hat and so on.
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer
United States United States

Adventuress

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2015, 03:07:45 am »

From my perspective I see a lot of "punk" in Steampunk. I'm an old punk rocker from way back, the first batch. What we considered to be "punk" ideals were unity, creativity in music, art and writing, self sufficiency and individuality. Social justice was part of the deal too. Many punk rockers had a lot to say about what we saw as the decline of compassion and the rise of selfish greed. We wrote songs about it, and ripped them out in two minutes or less.  I see Steampunk as a reflection of that ethos forty years down the road, only from what I see it's even more inclusive, more expansive.  Steampunk appeals to all ages, genders, races. To me it is, indeed, the future we not only should have had, but the present and the future we do and can have. We also create really cool gadgets, wear interesting clothing, and have lots and lots of fun.

"Of all the fishes in the sea, my favourite is the bass. He climbs up on the tall sea weed, and slides down on his hands and knees."
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2015, 05:31:06 am »

From my perspective I see a lot of "punk" in Steampunk. I'm an old punk rocker from way back, the first batch. What we considered to be "punk" ideals were unity, creativity in music, art and writing, self sufficiency and individuality. Social justice was part of the deal too. Many punk rockers had a lot to say about what we saw as the decline of compassion and the rise of selfish greed. We wrote songs about it, and ripped them out in two minutes or less.  I see Steampunk as a reflection of that ethos forty years down the road, only from what I see it's even more inclusive, more expansive.  Steampunk appeals to all ages, genders, races. To me it is, indeed, the future we not only should have had, but the present and the future we do and can have. We also create really cool gadgets, wear interesting clothing, and have lots and lots of fun.

Amen Sister and pass the safety pins over here
Maudlin Hart
Deck Hand

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2015, 05:05:14 pm »

'sides there's quite a lot of inclusivity movements within steampunk and it's been around long enough for steampunks to start looking at the problematic bits of the subculture and trying to fix them. There's lots of LGBTQ+ content in steampunk, lots of people arguing for steampunk that's not based 100% around the British Empire, lots of people trying to educate others and arguing against things like cultural appropriation and casual racism. There is still a lot of that and there is still a lot of mainstream misunderstanding about what steampunk is and what it means but I think like any other subculture we have the ability to get better.

Ragamuffin
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2015, 05:37:01 pm »

Amen Sister and pass the safety pins over here

Oh yeah!
selectedgrub
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2015, 08:49:54 pm »

Those  week end apocalypse  warriors  and waist coat wearers   who rely on modern appliances  aren't real steampunk enthusiasts

Cheesy Excellent.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2015, 09:17:39 pm »

It was

I was amalgamating  some venomous accusations  and slanderous slurs I have witnessed  while treading these boards  Wink

What, here? Brassgggles? Really?

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2015, 12:57:47 am »

Of the three bands I heard tonight at a Steampunk fair one finished their set with 'God Save the Queen' and another with 'Gay Bar'.

Listening to a band play a 'Punk classic' while stood a few feet from a group of Traction engines is Steam & Punk.
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 06:45:58 pm »

A short paragraph I read on an SCA website could just as easily apply to Steampunk fandom.

"You will frequently hear SCA participants describe the SCA as recreating the Middle Ages “as they ought to have been.” In some ways this is true – we choose to use indoor plumbing, heated halls, and sewing machines. In the dead of winter we have more to eat than King’s venison, salt pork and dried tubers. However, a better description is that we selectively recreate the culture, choosing elements of the culture that interest and attract us."
Having read through the post I do agree in part with it but I like the idea of recreating a culture as it should have been. I haven't really told anyone about this because I don't have a costume but my persona's occupation isn't scientist, governess, airship pilot or adventurer she's actually a social reformer and a campaigner for women's rights. We do romanticize the past and naturally turn a blind eye to the horrors that occurred in the Victorian era because of this. Why don't we recreate the culture the way it should have been? there's nothing stopping us. Why don't we have make personas based off brilliant people like John Stuart Mill, Elizabeth Fry and Charles Dickens? There are many issues that were prevalent in Victorian era that are still rampant today, maybe not in our corner of the world but their there. Sickness, extreme poverty, slavery, racism, sexism, ableism and LGBTA descrimination are real problems everyone in society has to accept need to change. This community is the most accepting, welcoming and pro-active I know together we really could be a vehicle for social change so why not use this to help other people? High teas and events with opportunities to donate or where ticket profits go straight to charity. Charity auctions online or IRL. Even rolling up to protests for the issues you care about in full steampunk garb (if you go to protests, I understand their not everyone's cup of tea) are all things we could do that I've just thought of off the top of my head. If other people hold this negative perception of the steampunk community then lets prove them wrong.        
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:21:51 am by Aemilia » Logged
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2015, 06:50:21 pm »

That's my opinion on the subject anyway Smiley
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2015, 08:16:17 pm »

Hmm, steampunk protesters, now there's a thing.

Although, that said, given the news these days about everyday sexism and misogyny I'm surprised none of our female members have tried to 'resurrect' the NWSPU (even something as simple as adding purple, white and green ribbons to a hat could be used to create a steampunk suffragette outfit).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2015, 09:42:11 pm »

Why must people overthink things?

It's just a name, most of us know where it derives from.

We know it when we see / hear it, what point is there in analysing it to the nth degree?

Everybody has their interpretation of what Steampunk is, some have personas, some don't, some wear the clothes & gadgets at weekends, some just the clothes, others wear vaguely steamy kit all the time, others never wear anything that would give anyone they don't know of their steamy inclinations.  There are plenty of other examples.  This alone makes trying to make a sociology lesson out of Steampunk fairly pointless.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2015, 09:48:57 pm »

Although, that said, given the news these days about everyday sexism and misogyny I'm surprised none of our female members have tried to 'resurrect' the NWSPU (even something as simple as adding purple, white and green ribbons to a hat could be used to create a steampunk suffragette outfit).

Actually... I do rather like that idea! Having occasionally participated in suffragette marches (unfortunately not via the application of temporal manipulation technology, but rather the annual recreation in Llandrindod Wells), I think a steampunk presence would bring a certain edge to it. Forget hitting dissenters with your brolly; how about disintegrating them with an aetheric disruptor?

On a more serious note, I'd just like to throw in my wholehearted agreement with the above comments on how wonderfully inclusion the steampunk community is.

Yours,
Miranda.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2015, 10:47:31 pm »

who says we haven't  Wink
Aemilia
Gunner
Wales Wales

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2015, 12:18:19 am »

Why must people overthink things?

It's just a name, most of us know where it derives from.

We know it when we see / hear it, what point is there in analysing it to the nth degree?

Everybody has their interpretation of what Steampunk is, some have personas, some don't, some wear the clothes & gadgets at weekends, some just the clothes, others wear vaguely steamy kit all the time, others never wear anything that would give anyone they don't know of their steamy inclinations.  There are plenty of other examples.  This alone makes trying to make a sociology lesson out of Steampunk fairly pointless.

Sludge Van Diesel I'm sorry if I came across as over thinking things, the things i suggested where just about changing peoples perceptions of steampunk and helping others in the process. To be honest I wouldn't know if steampunk isn't punky, I'm not even twenty yet so I have very little idea of what punk actually is and as awesome as it looks the big punk movement of the 70s/80s ended a long time before I was born. I'd be the last person qualified to state what is and isn't punk or steampunk  Cheesy
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2015, 01:12:57 am »

I was referring to the original blogger mainly
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2015, 09:29:19 am »

I was referring to the original blogger mainly

Oh, I thought you might be referring to me.

But, coming out with stuff like this is an unfortunate tendency that a lot of people on the fringes of Steampunk seem to have. They understand the culture/aesthetic, but because they've not actually embraced the culture properly they don't seem to appreciate the variety of interpretations, and think that their understanding is the "correct one" (it's a bit of a cliche that you could ask 5 different Stampunks to define Steampunk and get 12 different answers).
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2015, 10:26:38 am »

who says we haven't  Wink

When I go to Steampunk events I wear an IWW (Industrial Workers of the World) badge on  the lapel of my jacket. and if I'm carrying my 'Kraken Liberation Front' placard tell people it was a pre cuorser the Earth First and the Animal Liberation Front... My best selling piece of Steampunk pendant is 'a spanner in the works' (for those who challenge the establishment) ... so some of us are that way inclined.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2015, 06:40:32 pm »

Of course the problem with Steampunk being so broadly inclusive is that we also include the entire broad spectrum of political ideologies, so if you have activist Steampunks you're going to have them on both sides of almost any protest.

Gaslight Bazaar/Steampunk Magazine used to be the home of a more activist & neo-anarchist breed of Steampunk, but it imploded spectacularly several years ago.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2015, 07:21:30 pm »

I've just discovered that I feature rather prominently in the 'Colin Ward memorial group' ...(no objections on my part) ... who could object to being linked with not only allotments but such diverse subjects as city planing or 'grass roots' music.

So as someone who is a 'recognised anti establishment face' (if you know where to look) I can state that there is 'punk' in steampunk ... You just have to see beyond the cogs!

Maybe a brass colored spikey mohecan hair do could be mistaken for a cog? ... now I'm getting silly ideas and don't have the hair to do it...............lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: