The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 06:22:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Anyone Identify a Baker Electric Car Model?  (Read 585 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: April 07, 2015, 05:14:51 am »

I'm sorry that I can not offer an image; the car I'm looking for is one that I remember seeing in an old advertisement that I once saw framed in an antique shop. The car was Baker Electric, but image search doesn't turn up an image of the specific car.

It was an open car (convertible); it had two rows of seats, with the front row facing backwards. The driver actually sat in the back seat and looked over the front passenger's shoulders to driver. The seating arrangement seemed to be intended to facilitate conversation while driving; it definitely wasn't designed for safety. The advertisement marketed the car to women.

Any leads would be appreciated.
Serrac
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 09:51:00 am »

Don't know if this will help, but I found a series of images dating to around 1909 illustrating the range of Baker vehicles. None appear to have rear facing passenger seats, and only one model has the driver located behind the passengers. Have a look at the J Victoria model: http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47de-09be-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99/book?parent=14638260-c5ed-012f-29f1-58d385a7bc34#page/1/mode/2up

Digging a little further, I can only find the Extension Front Coupe advertised as seating four (five in the later models) with the option for front passengers beaing able to face rearwards. http://chuckstoyland.com/national/electric/baker/1912%20BAKER%20Elec%206%206%20p%2041.jpg
http://chuckstoyland.com/national/electric/baker/index.html has quite a collection of adverts relating to the Baker and a whole host of other early American vehicles.

One more - Very steam, and certainly dangerous, both then and now. The charging system for the DC batteries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wj9_Elf0OfE
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:21:37 am by Serrac » Logged

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 03:20:36 pm »

The Extension Front Coupe seems the most similar to the car I remember. But the J Victoria is an interesting variation in car design, with the driver sitting above and behind the passengers; it has to have been intended for someone that employs a driver.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:23:21 pm »

The article about the Extension Front Coupe does mention "Recent agitation in regard to the danger incurred by carrying passengers in front of the driver".
Maxwell B. Cooper
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Imitation shows a lack of imagination.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 03:58:21 pm »

After a rather entertaining (and informative) hunt through various websites, I didn't find exactly what you were looking for. I did find an electric car that was marketed specifically at women but it was neither convertible or a Baker Electric. It was in fact a 1917 Detroit Electric Brougham, which did feature rear facing front seats (4th picture on the page).

Here is the advertisement I found for the car: Detroit Electric Ad.

I just thought you'd find it interesting.

“One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” – Elbert Hubbard

The Imperial Code of the Second British Empire:
1. Be decent.
2. Carry on.

“If I could create an ideal world, it would be an England with the fire of the Elizabethans, the correct taste of the Georgians, and the refinement and pure ideals of the Victorians.” – H. P. Lovecraft
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 06:08:32 pm »

My mind's eye sees an engraving of a carriage which matches your description almost perfectly, but like you I cannot recall where I first encountered it. I may have an opportunity at the coming weekend to ferret out the image I remember seeing.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 01:36:32 pm »

There's this:

The style is known as "vis-a-vis"; a development from horse carriage days.

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 10:17:33 pm »

Similar to the vis-a-vis, but not open on the sides.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 10:19:45 pm »

Ah, running boards. They are missed on modern cars. You can't stand on a moving car's fenders while gunning down your enemy.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 12:13:59 am »

That's right! Hit on Al Capone! I dream of doing that with a Tommy Gun, wearing a flat cap or fedora, a cigar in my mouth and while this song is playing (even if it's not period correct):

Henry Mancini - Peter Gunn

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 11:47:42 pm »

Ah - I have a large modern Sedan (literal definition) with running boards.  The Dodge Durango of a few years ago is essentially the same body style as a four-door sedan of the teens through the thirties.  I have considered a few minor upgrades to emphasize that similarity - contrasting paint for the fenders, a real trunk on a rack in the back, cowl lights, and so on.

But it has a lot of miles on it already, I may just let it go.

Cheers!

Chas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: