The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 01:24:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla, sportscars, and reputation  (Read 2400 times)
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« on: March 08, 2007, 09:05:09 pm »

A new car company from California called Tesla Motors has build an electric sports car.  While the design is nice in a contemporary way, it seems they could have done better to uphold the Tesla name. The specs on it are good, but still... 

http://www.teslamotors.com/

...and as a personal aside. Just because you make an electric car, is that any reason to get rid of the joy of manual transmission driving? Even if you put a fake one in..  I hate automatic...

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 09:25:25 pm »

...and as a personal aside. Just because you make an electric car, is that any reason to get rid of the joy of manual transmission driving? Even if you put a fake one in..  I hate automatic...

err yes 'cos you just dont need a gearbox at all....just more weight to carry round.

Gearboxes are to mitigate a defect in engines, the defect of needing to run it at an ideal speed, Engines such as electric and steam dont need it, so why carry it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:28:12 pm by sidecar_jon » Logged

fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 09:36:36 pm »

cuz I like having to fiddle with my machines to make them run.  smoothly running machines make me worry there are gremlins about.  and automatics make people lazy(er).  Tongue

Smiley
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 09:48:38 pm »

98,000 dollars?!?!?!?!

I feel like doc brown from the 50's when he heard how much electricity his car needed to time travel...

1.21 GIGAWATS?!?!

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 10:35:58 pm »

cuz I like having to fiddle with my machines to make them run.  smoothly running machines make me worry there are gremlins about.  and automatics make people lazy(er).  Tongue

Smiley

get a steam powered car then.. plenty to fiddle with.
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 11:15:06 pm »

No Sir, my car will be powered by stirling engine.  The way I drive, it may be the only thing to save my life.
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

As many steps ahead of this claim as I want to be.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 06:13:18 am »

But this brings up an interesting, unintentional, and slightly curious question.

What would a sports car designed by Tesla be like?

" 'I' Is For 'Infamy' "
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 06:16:32 am »

The delorian from BTTF, only cooler Smiley
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

As many steps ahead of this claim as I want to be.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 06:17:41 am »

The delorian from BTTF, only cooler Smiley

It would need to have a massive Tesla coil Cheesy or a Jacob's ladder.
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 06:19:08 am »

The delorian from BTTF
Right on.

only cooler Smiley
Does not compute.

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 06:29:09 am »

its quite simple really, anything made by Tesla multiplies by coolness factor of 10, so the delorian by tesla would have to be cooler.
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 06:30:23 am »

Well, OK.  Good point  Grin
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 09:40:55 am »

I was just having a discussion with my roomate the other day about trying to find a way to add to the design of the "Tesla Roadster" I often pipe-dream about building, so that it can leave two long, crackling trails of electricity behind it like the BTTF DeLorean's flames.

Man that would be sexy. I think I would just retire from fabricating and tinkering entirely if I could pull that off. I mean....it's all gotta be downhill from there, right?

“I'm not a paranoid deranged millionaire. Goddamit, I'm a billionaire.” - Howard Hughes
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 03:33:40 pm »

Besides, you wouldn't have time to make stuff.  You'd be too busy impressing the ladies and intimidating the guys as you leave a sparking trail of coolness on your way to the grocery store Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: