The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 01:54:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeti Woman of 19th Century Russia  (Read 617 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: April 05, 2015, 12:55:43 am »

See article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3025466/Was-19th-Century-Siberian-apewoman-yeti-6ft-6in-Russian-serf-outrun-horse-not-human-according-DNA-tests.html
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 01:30:14 am »

Wowsers! If it's in the Daily Mail  ...... !

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 04:10:26 am »

The truth revealed; the "yeti" woman was a sub-Saharan African woman, probably brought to Russia by Ottoman slave traders.

Keep in mint that Russia in 1830 was not much different from Russia in the middle ages, and people in the remote regions rarely saw people from other parts of the world; a sub-Saharan person would have seemed bizarre to the locals.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 05:29:55 am »

The truth revealed; the "yeti" woman was a sub-Saharan African woman, probably brought to Russia by Ottoman slave traders.

Keep in mint that Russia in 1830 was not much different from Russia in the middle ages, and people in the remote regions rarely saw people from other parts of the world; a sub-Saharan person would have seemed bizarre to the locals.

and any human , treated like and animal, soon starts to act like one.  Being hunted down , kept in a ditch, forcibly impregnated  by local men and  help as a slave  will do that to woman.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 05:36:13 am »

There is a theory that she was part of a small sub-Saharan population that found its way to the Caucasus mountains and lived in a primitive hunter-gatherer culture. This seems a little far-fetched to me.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 05:41:01 am »

There is a theory that she was part of a small sub-Saharan population that found its way to the Caucasus mountains and lived in a primitive hunter-gatherer culture. This seems a little far-fetched to me.

A runaway slave scenario sounds more credible. As you infer,  she would have looked of a highly unusual appearance to the isolated and insular locals who  trapped her.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 03:06:57 pm »

What was the publication date of this article?  Was it on or around... April 1st?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 04:43:44 pm »

This is no april fool's. There has long been rumours of the almasty in Russia. Part of what is interesting about them is that unlike other apemen, these seem to be more ape than men. I'm rather disappointed that Yana might just have been entirely human.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 07:31:27 pm »

I've heard this story before on another site long ago. (although it claimed she had no living descendants) Pretty fascinating.

I wonder if she and/or her parents or tribe could have been genetic throwbacks? An area like that might have hidden a highly isolated gene pool that allowed a group of humans to carry on a throwback mutation or evolve along different lines than the rest of the world.

The escaped slave theory does seem more plausible, though.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 03:28:38 am »

There are some very tall people in the sub-Saharan region; another characteristic attributed to the "yeti woman".
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 05:26:32 pm »

My first issue with the article is that the headline reads "'not human', according to DNA tests " but the article says "The DNA analysis revealed that they all contained the right amount of African DNA for Zana the ape woman to be '100 per cent African.'"  Last time I checked Africans were considered 100% human.

As for her behaviour, it sounds a lot like that of other feral children.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 10:00:42 pm »

I think that Fortean Times have done a few articles about this person. can't remember which issues though...sorry.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: