The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:33:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Driving of the Golden Spike; A Live Media Event in the Steam Era  (Read 484 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: April 04, 2015, 06:42:55 am »

I found this article that details the spike-driving ceremony that completed America's transcontinental railroad:
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2013/04/last-spike-separating-fact-tradition-golden-spike-national-historic-site23151

The article confirms a story that I had heard that the last spike driven and the hammer used to drive it were wired to a telegraph line so that the driving of the spike could be heard at telegraph offices across the nation. This was possibly the first live media event ever.

The article also confirms that the hammer missed the spike on the first strike.

My high school history teacher claimed that when the hammer missed the spike, a telegraph operator tapped the key. The article makes no mention of this detail. If true, it would be the first faked live media event.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 08:12:51 pm »

how swiftly standards had fallen...Wink Was watching a movie last night, and the hammer is shaped more like a blunted pickaxe. I'd be doing good to hit it too...Wink

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 11:56:43 pm »

Very easy to miss with that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: