The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 01:48:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wild Wood Weeds and a Secret Garden  (Read 657 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: April 01, 2015, 04:14:03 am »

This is my new garden project. It is in through the out door of  the cottage and on  into the wild  and secret  part of the garden. I have put it in metaphysical  as I am intending to do a steampunk theme  with an Antipodean Revival flavour.

The task will be to contain and keep in check the garden's natural   "bucolic charm" and "rambling romantic character ; with out pruning away its  more special qualities.

Here are the before images.

All ideas and suggestions are welcome . As is encouragement .

Heckling, threats and warnings will be hurled back to the audience.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:18:54 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 04:27:41 am »

I will be referring to this for inspiration[ along with various pinterest sources].

http://enginaire.blogspot.co.nz/2013/12/conversion-at-steampunk-garden-mission.html
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 01:51:20 pm »

Lots of potential.  Start by figuring out the big things and the little ones should fall in place.  Looking forward to watching it progress.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 01:49:25 am »

Lots of potential.  Start by figuring out the big things and the little ones should fall in place.  Looking forward to watching it progress.

Thank you .  I might be "figuring out the big things" with a pith helmet and machete  accompanied by a team of luggage bearers.  Wink

It s autumn at this end of the world   and unseasonably warm.   The grape vine and banana passion fruit  will be  in for a savage retribution.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 08:12:42 am »

Greetings my Dear Annie -
Might I suggest, that one start by laying out a meandering path , perhaps with brick, pavers, or gravel,

leading to a modest bench in the shade? 

Later One might add a modest pool - using one of these

or one of these less extravagent versions

and/or a small arbor or trellis , upon which one can train local flora ...

yhs prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 07:35:22 pm »

Professor , That  is a marvelous idea.  A meandering path adds a certain mystery .  I do not have  a great expanse to meander in , just enough though , for a  a few  well placed twists and turns to be led down.

Else where in the garden I have  a old corner shower base  embedded into the ground with  goldfish in residence.

Hidden down  this meandering path
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 08:16:58 pm »

Heavens, that is lovely! I would suggest only clearing the barest minimum for a narrow path... a twist to the right, a turn to the left, and hide some seating below/behind the flora...

Since you already have a small pond, one could economically add a tiny solar fountain which provides more aeraetion for the fishies .... I got a chinese import fountainfrom harbor freightfor ~$10 US

Yhs
prof marvel
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 08:26:52 pm »

Heavens, that is lovely! I would suggest only clearing the barest minimum for a narrow path... a twist to the right, a turn to the left, and hide some seating below/behind the flora...

Since you already have a small pond, one could economically add a tiny solar fountain which provides more aeraetion for the fishies .... I got a chinese import fountainfrom harbor freightfor ~$10 US

Yhs
prof marvel

Solar fountain !  That could keep some of the algae down. I will look into that. 

Thank you for the compliment, that  is a snapshot of  the shaded  glade  that is the front yard. I would like to  carry on the theme in the  back yard, though it will have to be a little more utilitarian.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 01:06:53 am »

I found a minimal fountain pump at the US vendor "harbor freight" - it sends a small stream of water about a foot high, aerating the bird bath a bit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/merchandising/outdoor-categories-for-seo/fountain-pumps/solar-powered-fountain-pump-66093.html

Unfortunately I am having a hard time finding anything affordable in NZ, but these people have the same thing for $27 US with free shipping.....
http://www.fishpond.com/c/Electronics/q/Solar+Powered+Water+Pump

hope this helps
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 01:30:44 am »

Thanks for the tip. I looked  in the usual garden centre online catalogues and saw them from $89 - $4k. Other local online places are  more reasonable

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=solar+pond+pumps&rptpath=all&type=Search&searchType=all&generalSearch_keypresses=6&generalSearch_suggested=0&generalSearch_suggestedCategory=

.Don't think I am ready to splash out  4 grand on a pond pump  Undecided

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 07:59:54 am »

The price differential is educational... you might have better acces through the Asian vector, such as Alibabba.

Perhaps we should organize
Brass Goggles Division
Universal Exports...

"Finest Goods For All Occasions"
"The Right To Buy Goods is The Right To Be Free"

yhs
prof marvel
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 06:44:41 pm »

Allibaba has tentacles in "down here". We also have Mighty Ape  for the online purchase of just about anything

which  leads to the obvious steampunk  moniker of "Brass Monkey"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: