The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 12:05:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What delineates the historic era from which steampunk was derived?  (Read 1390 times)
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 02:44:45 pm »

Microcode:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcode

Something that I learned in college computer science courses; as a shortcut to building a CPU, there is sometimes a sub-machine code interpreter. This allows the engineer to build a simpler processor that performs idiosyncratic instructions, then use these idiosyncratic instructions to interpret the more reasonable machine instructions. There is a trade-off of speed in exchange for simplicity of engineering.

This is hardcore computer science esoterica; not covered in regular programming courses, but if y had to build a useful computer from mechanical parts, a microcode architecture would probably save you a lot of headaches.

So it would be a risc, but possibly a worthwhile one? Roll Eyes

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 08:10:21 am »

If the Greeks had used Hero/n of Alexander's steam engine as something more than a toy, and industrialised their liking for automata, who knows where we would have been by now. Don't think you can define Steampunk by the steam engine, has to be something more, um, esoteric, perhaps.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 08:22:29 am »

Microcode:

Something that I learned in college computer science courses; as a shortcut to building a CPU, there is sometimes a sub-machine code interpreter. This allows the engineer to build a simpler processor that performs idiosyncratic instructions, then use these idiosyncratic instructions to interpret the more reasonable machine instructions. There is a trade-off of speed in exchange for simplicity of engineering.

This is hardcore computer science esoterica; not covered in regular programming courses, but if y had to build a useful computer from mechanical parts, a microcode architecture would probably save you a lot of headaches.

So it would be a risc, but possibly a worthwhile one? Roll Eyes

Auurrgh!  Nerd humour!  Grin

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 02:37:32 pm »

Hero's steam engine didn't have enough power to do much of anything useful. The Greeks would have had to have developed pistons.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 05:34:18 pm »

I think that was Banfili's point - they could have developed the principle into something useful, but they didn't. Same with their holy-water vending machines and hydraulic temple doors.

This raises an interesting point. The Greeks were great theorists, but aside from Archimedes of Syracuse they did sod all to apply it. Had they been more willing to do things with their new-found knowledge of the universe, would we be ατμού πανκ instead of Steampunks?
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2015, 10:54:57 pm »

The theory is that because slave labor was so readily available, the ancients never developed labor-saving devices.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2015, 01:59:20 am »

Quite. Not much point in saving someone else's labour, especially when you ain't payin' for it anyway.
Smaggers
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

You cannot mesmerize me...I'm British!

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2015, 07:13:18 pm »

Microcode:

Have you had a look at the specs for the Analytical Engine? In some ways it reminds me of the 6502 processor, (obviously a little bit bigger though).

"I should probably finish one project before taking on another, but the badger won't fit in the freezer." -Steamblast Mary

http://smaggers.deviantart.com/
http://www.bongofish.co.uk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: