The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 12:33:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Splendid Teapot Racing  (Read 3268 times)
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2016, 09:46:09 am »

Good day to you, my fellow Brass Goggleans.  I beg leave to present this brief report on our most recent Splendid Teapot Racing event.

The CubaDupa festival is a major street festival in our nation's capital, celebrating the diversity and bohemian nature of one of our most beloved streets (named not for Mr. Castro's place but for one of the earliest immigrant ships).  This year's was the second CubaDupa, and Capital! Steampunk have adopted it as our big event of the year (with half a million in city council funding, why wouldn't you?). Three or more city blocks are closed to traffic for the two days, and the area is filled with street food stalls, roaming entertainers, five or so stages and somewhere around 100,000 citizens.  I need hardly tell you that this provides an admirable promenading ground for those of our persuasion.

We introduced Splendid Teapot Racing to Wellington at the first CubaDupa last year (only the second time it had been seen anywhere, mind) and it was sufficiently entertaining for us to be invited back - this time to run it on both days of CubaDupa and, oh yes, could you do some tea duelling as well; it sounds interesting ...

So we took our cogs firmly in hand, invited steampunks from all over the country to join us (and they did), put on a few pre-festival events of our own and off we went.

There were splendid teapots:

There were splendid people (lots of them):

There was smoke (deliberately):

And - a world first - there was Teapot Sheepdog Trials.  Here Stanley waits patiently to be defeated by a rather splendid tank-based device, Motus Infundere Assamica:

There will be further refinements made to how the sheepdog trials are run, but the general idea is to take three small sheep (not real ones), arrange them behind a specially-constructed gated enclosure and let two teapots fight it out to be the first to get two of the sheep into the enclosure.  Few dry seats remained, and fortunately no teapot was seriously injured (although it did get rather rough).

A possible future development might be to have a set of sheep and an enclosure for each teapot.  We believe this will still be rather droll but will avoid the likelihood of damage to the contestants.

One or two of our number are already talking about creating dedicated sheep-shifting teapots, and we will be committing further hilarity at the inaugural Splendid Teapot Racing World Championships during the Steampunk NZ Festival in Oamaru on 4 June this year.

Thank you for your indulgence.  Carry on.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:55:27 am by Colonel Hawthorne » Logged

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 11:37:51 am »

Cool

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 03:14:11 pm »

Most splendid, indeed, Colonel!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2016, 07:12:53 pm »

A most inspirational report. I'm very impressed by the multifarious designs and a teapot which actually steams as it goes along - brilliant! Were any videos of the event uploaded to YouTube or similar?

Yours,
Miranda.
Bines
Gunner

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2016, 04:11:17 pm »

Nice!

What I'm seeing so far is that control trump's speed.
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2016, 05:08:44 pm »

We just started having teapot racing here in the states. This year at Anachrocon we had our first races, the overall winner was a racer built on a retired battlebot chassis. It was so fun to watch, I'm tempted to join next year!

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2016, 06:12:44 pm »

We just started having teapot racing here in the states. This year at Anachrocon we had our first races, the overall winner was a racer built on a retired battlebot chassis. It was so fun to watch, I'm tempted to join next year!

"the overall winner was a racer built on a retired battlebot chassis. "

Was anything left of the competition?  Grin

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2016, 02:36:17 am »

Nice!

What I'm seeing so far is that control trump's speed.

Precisely so, sir.  As one negotiates the obstacles, control is paramount.  Speed can be a liability.

Should there be time for a drag race at some point the position changes, of course ...
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2016, 02:39:00 am »

Miss Forest, I urge you to take part.  It is immensely entertaining to do as well as watch.

I myself have put together a new, very heavily armed teapot this weekend which, when not racing, will be engaged in the hunting of Snarks.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2016, 06:42:26 am »

Hmmm... Flying teapot drones...?

MWA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAaaa...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2016, 09:04:35 am »

Drones have been suggested as a future development, but seeing how some people drive the current crop of teapots I wouldn't want to be anywhere near such things.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2016, 03:37:09 am »

Good day, fine people.

Through the good offices of my colleague Prof. Ampere of Steampunk Taranaki, I may now present to you the first ever Teapot Sheepdog Trials event in Wellington a couple of weekends ago:

http://youtu.be/dj3vR3qeUK4

Any effects on your bladder are your own responsibility.  The reasons for this disclaimer will become apparent as you listen to the audience's reaction.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 07:36:58 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
Watching that made a splendid start to my week!
Thanks so much for sharing this!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2016, 02:31:56 pm »

Great fun!

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 09:43:19 pm »

Well hilarious!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 10:18:10 pm »

Hmmm... Flying teapot drones...?

MWA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAaaa...

In which case surely one would have to herd air kraken?

The whole idea is truly magnificent.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2016, 11:41:18 pm »

Splendid teapot sheep dog trials, although I did get the impression that the teapots were more interested in 'driving' each other for some of the time!
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 09:40:46 am »

Splendid teapot sheep dog trials, although I did get the impression that the teapots were more interested in 'driving' each other for some of the time!

Thank you, sir, and indeed thank you to all who have commented.

Yes, there was a degree of mutual shoving.  I would classify it as driving each other off, however.  Interesting that a reasonably powerful wheeled vehicle still can't make much impression on a tank.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 12:36:32 pm »

Only just got the time to view the video.

Looks to me like a fun time was had by all and I thoroughly enjoyed watching, cheered my day up no end.

Thanks for posting.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2016, 05:39:54 am »

Madam, thank you, Colonel!
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2016, 08:31:40 am »

Madam, thank you, Colonel!

My dear lady, my most humble apologies.

In the hope that it may go some way towards relieving this most grievous and regrettable insult, may I offer a glimpse of my Easter project and most recent racing teapot, the redoubtable Snark Testing, Eradication And Management (Boojums Uncommonly Sighted) - STEAMBUS for short:

spacebovine
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2016, 10:56:08 am »

This is beyond hilarious. It would have sounded nutty enough on paper, but to see it actually come to life truly makes me think that the world is in good, if insanely nefarious, hands.
Maybe you should include a rule that the teapots must actually be capable of brewing a cuppa Smiley

First pants... then shoes
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2016, 12:35:49 pm »

That is a splendid teapot! Is it capable of holding and pouring tea? It would have to be capable of tipping, wouldn't it - a miniature flexible scissor-lift, perhaps?
Pilot
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2016, 02:49:17 am »

I'm oh so glad I found and joined this group. Teapot Racing! What a wonderfully singular pastime :-)
Thank you for sharing and thanks too to all those that took the trouble to post, especially the pictures.

Carry on
Paul AKA Pilot
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2016, 10:57:08 am »

Miss Banfill, it's not required that a racing teapot still function as a teapot post-conversion.  But the judges may well award extra points for style if it does.  (STEAMBUS, I regret to say, has a strategically-placed hole in a sensitive spot where his aerial sticks up so is no longer watertight.)

Mr Pilot, welcome to BG.  Teapot racing is indeed singular and wonderful, and we look forward to the first World Championships in Oamaru the first weekend in June.  We're not aware that anybody has yet raced teapots in Aussie, so maybe you could get somethig together.  I understand from another post you're based in Brisbane, which (well, Ipswich) was the venue for our first and so far only overseas steampunk convention a few years back - rather splendid fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: