The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 04:22:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book-Author Sought : Alternate Earth Goth-Occult Setting  (Read 958 times)
Patron Zero
Gunner
United States United States

« on: March 21, 2015, 08:04:54 am »

-cue hologram-     "Good people of the Steampunk Forums, you are my only hope ....."

I am desperately seeking the author of two books set in an alternate Earth where all technology is magic-occult based, it's a 'modern world having automobiles, aircraft and computers just such operate arcanely.

The primary character is a human police detective newly assigned to a particular precinct, his partner is a female vampiric creature which owns a sentient demonic automobile.     The first novel ends with said detective grievously injured and the female officer donating her heart to save his life.

In the second novel, the detective has inherited the lady vampire's property and connected 'legacy' of troubles.  He also makes a cross-continental journey in an arcane-powered 'commercial' aircraft.

The same author has a short story printed in a collection of horror fiction tales, his entry concerns the use of a matter-transporter that requires the 'sacrifice' of an equal amount of living human tissue to operate.     If a 160 pound man wants to go from location A to location B, then a 160 pound 'volunteer' from a state-run correctional facility must be placed in the receiving chamber to re-corporate said traveler.

My local library had both novels and the short story collection but I've had no success hunting such up in it's catalogs, Amazon and other online booksellers have provided no results either.     So turning my hopes to the well-read body of this forum for help.

Many thanks in advance !

(patron_zero@yahoo.com)

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 08:30:48 am »

Opps misunderstood the question
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:20:05 am by CPT_J_Percell » Logged

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 03:48:56 pm »

They have the books,  but you can't check them out to check the author? Huh?

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 11:23:51 pm »

They have the books,  but you can't check them out to check the author? Huh?

To my knowing both books are still in the collection and not speaking here of a single library branch but a large metropolitan organization,  without having either title or the author's name I cannot locate-request such.

Thanks to the Patriot Act, and resulting legal objections to parts of, such, my local library no longer keeps an accessible log of what a patron has been lent, suggested for purchase or request by inter-library loan.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 03:19:52 am »

...so we'll never know who read today's Tom Sawyer...Wink

The Internet can be your friend. Do you remember a character name, even part of a title? (Proper nouns work the best). Maybe even a publisher could help. The old Google trick of putting all your search terms in "double quotes" forces it to search for these words next to each other. I've used all to search for books in the past, with varying degrees of success.

It reminds me of Jim Butcher's stuff, but the plots aren't right. How long ago did they come out?

GCCC has compiled a list (I should get shill points for this...Wink of Steampunk books. Maybe that will jog the memory? Also, Manybooks, Gutenberg, mobilread, bookyards all have older stuff, in case these are really old...

Hope that helps.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 03:45:29 am »

You at least have the advantage that the book was published relatively recently. I've been searching for years for an unknown 1920's children's novel.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:15:17 am »

I have a little list...no, I have a BIG list (about 900+) books I owned in the 80's I'm trying to find. I know where books can be found, in Ebook form, but alas, without a title, or such...we're back at square one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: