The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 07:31:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: What color do you see
Blue and Black
White and Gold
Changes color

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: What Color is the Dress  (Read 1491 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 04:15:11 pm »

At a friends house last night.  They had not seen the dress so I pulled it up on their large computer screen.  The two ladies saw white and gold and only white and gold.  I still see only blue and black(okay brownish black).  The guy initially saw blue and black and couldn't believe the what the ladies were seeing and then suddenly he saw white and gold and never saw the blue and black again.

rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 06:31:01 pm »

People are getting all hipster about the image. "That was Sooo last week" 'Why are people talking about a dress when ___ people died today from ___'

I like the image because it points out things like perception, context, and perspective.

I also like it because it give me the chance to play with my brain. I've gotten to the point where I can switch it back and forth pretty much at will. It's not about position or size or screen colors. It's about turning off usually unconscious perception of lighting cues.

The thing to remember is there isn't just one light source. There is the light over the shoulder, which tells you the front should be shaded and thus white will not be white but blue grey, so your brain says those colors would be white. there is ambient light from the 'room' which says that the front is not all shadow and you can see distinct shadows of overlapping parts. There also seems like there might be a flash effect that washes the image out greatly, turning navy blue into a pale pastel blue (and to my eye there seems to be a red hint from either ambient light or flash that lends it a sort of lavender, some people say periwinkle, color). and finally there seems to be some after image adjustment that washes out the image further to make it lighter in an effort to make it easier to see seperate from it's surroundings. But giving it that same trick that sepia does in faded black in white images that turns black to browns and mustard colors.

So when your eyes see the image it has to pick a set of cues that tell you what color makes sense for the image and throw out the conflicting data. Certain perspectives of the image (take just the upper right corner in isolation, or the bottom left corner in isolation) are more heavily influenced by certain cues and so they catch your attention and make it easier to see that way.

for me the fun is becoming aware of the cues all at the same time and selectively throwing some out and play with my perception.

Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 01:22:03 am »

I suspect that this may be to do with the compression algorithms used for images files. These work by storing an image not as a set of individual pixels but by stripping out as much information as possible. One way to do this is to define pixels relative to their neighbors. for example if a color is defined by a  16 digit number you can save a lot of information by saying that a pixel is the same as the last one but plus or minus some amount.

Another way is to sample the image and pre define the colours in it so you strip out all the colours which aren't used so you reduce the ammount of information you need to define any particular colour.

This is further complicated by the fact that the software which encodes the image may not be  working to exactly the same rules as the one which decodes it.

I suspect that in this particular case this particular image can be interpreted by the software in one of two different ways.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 01:39:49 am »

It is not the software.  Two people looking at the same picture, on the same monitor, from the same file, on the same computer, in the same room can see it differently.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 01:51:17 am »

People are getting all hipster about the image. "That was Sooo last week"
Snip
. I've gotten to the point where I can switch it back and forth pretty much at will. It's not about position or size or screen colors. It's about turning off usually unconscious perception of lighting cues.

What?  Why so slow? You're still on blues blacks and whites??  You should be seeing violet and green or magenta and yellow by now!!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:56:04 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 04:43:30 pm »

I'm surprized a soap powder hasn't used it in an advert yet...

Blue and Black...one wash in our new formula and it comes out White and Gold!

I really should get a job in advertising!!!
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 10:55:49 pm »

When I saw this on a link from FB the dress was so clearly blue and black, I thought it was a joke. I still don't see it as anything other then blue and black.

Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 12:43:56 am »

It changed color for me as I looked at it this time. That had never happened before.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 02:22:36 am »

Like many excessively virulent memes, The Dress has now become someone's tattoo:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 03:43:08 am »

There is no dress.  That is a picture of a completely naked woman.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 08:54:29 pm »

There is no dress.  That is a picture of a completely naked woman.

Maybe it's my inexperience in the dating area that I didn't see that coming.  Or I'm looking at an extreme case of genetic mosacism combined with severe anoxia and congenital malformation of the head and limbs
Lady Coral Lesong
Officer

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 07:23:23 pm »

Honestly, I can see the dress color both ways. I've seen two different photographs of the dress side by side and one was blue gold (I know that it should be black, but I saw gold) and the other dress was white and gold. For me, it depended on the photographs themselves. For example, in this thread I see the first picture as white and gold.

It is interesting that it can do this. I think that it may be an effective teaching tool to help children learn about how to be polite when someone differs from your perception. Maybe the schools could figure out a way to do this. It reminds me of a story I once read in which two children were arguing over something. Their teacher asked the bickering students to sit on opposite sides of a desk and then placed a ball of some kind on the desk between them. The teacher asked what color the ball was. One student said that the ball was white and the other one said that it was black. Then, the teacher picked the ball up again and asked them to switch sides. When the children did what they were told, the teacher placed the ball back on the desk. They saw that they had both been right because half of the ball was white and half of the ball was black. They only saw what they saw because of their perceptions of the ball.

Am I way out of bounds here or does this make sense?

Love,
                                                                                 Coral
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 07:30:31 pm »

To me it looks blue and gold, but it also looks white and gold to me, because I see the blue tint as nothing more than bad white balance, and therefore my logical mind tells me that the dress is white, but appears blue. Bah. I wish I could convince myself that it's fuscia with green trim, but no matter how hard I try, I simply cannot!

"Of all the fishes in the sea, my favourite is the bass. He climbs up on the tall sea weed, and slides down on his hands and knees."
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 10:22:52 pm »

More on the science of the Dress:
http://www.cracked.com/podcast/the-cracks-in-human-perception-exposed-by-that-dress/

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: