The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 05:16:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: What color do you see
Blue and Black
White and Gold
Changes color

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: What Color is the Dress  (Read 1423 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« on: February 28, 2015, 01:20:09 am »

Had to put the poll here in Metaphysical since no polls in Off Topic.  This has been all over the internet, but I thought a poll would be fun.  What color is the dress?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:46:48 am by Maets » Logged

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 01:29:53 am »

Had to put the poll here in Metaphysical since no polls in Off Topic.  This has been all over the internet, but I thought a poll would be fun.  What color is the dress?

I can't believe that's made it here to this forum...

[nerd]
That being said it depends on how you define colour.  You have to rake into account the specteal distribution of the chromatic emmisovity and absorptivity of the cloth (net chromatic reflectivity) and account for the likely source of light.

The dress is reflecting ambient light which has a strong blue component, bit the fabric itself is white if you allow it to reflect a wide spectrum source of light.  So to human eyes it looks white because we automatically adjust for the sky-blue imbalance.  A computer will say "blue," because it's not programmer to recognize the spectral imbalance.

Something similar is happening for the gold but I don't understand why a computer would see it as black.

[/nerd]

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 03:48:36 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 04:25:18 am »

Most interesting.  After coming back from work the appearance has changed. It looks decidedly blue, but Navy Blue is a stretch (it's above Royal Blue in brightness).  Is this the same picture?  A time dependent effect? Background lighting?  Or just an animated gif with the negative picture?  Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 04:30:00 am »

Maybe it's just the Matrix.  It's got a bug again...
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 04:35:56 am »

My daughter says she can watch it change back and forth.  For me it is blue, but for my wife it is white.  Very strange.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 04:46:50 am »

Maets:

I am now seeing the dress in two different machines.  One is clearly white and gold.  The second one is clearly blue and black.

Now here the thing:

At about 6:30-ish pm when I first saw this picture, on my iPod - it was clearly white and gold.

When I saw you reply a few minutes ago it was blue and black (same iPod, different time, different ambient light)

Now I turned my desktop PC on.  The dress is clearly white and gold - no doubt, but while the dektop's screen shows a white dress, the iPod still shows blue in same lighting conditions (side by side in my room). So the picture is changing and it's not an optical illusion. That picture chages colour depending on how long you first accesed it.  I think the picture's spectral distribution is time dependent.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 04:49:54 am »

A quantum effect?  Maybe some scientist is trying to prove a point.

EDIT:  Different browsers will show the same colour on the same machine, in spite of different chaches, etc.  But it looks like the first time you turn the machine on the dress is white...

I took two colour samples from the picture:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:23:09 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 05:56:33 am »

I'm seeing a lilacy blue and gold trimming.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 06:04:08 am »

The problem is when you see it on the same computer in the same setting at nearly the same time (flipping back and forth) and it changes. So from page to page, minute by minute. Sometimes it's blue, but mostly white.
Also, the exact same image changes,NOT just one image from this site to an image from that site. ie: look at an image then look at a different one then go back to the first, sometimes it's different, sometimes it's the same.
Splain that Lucy.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 06:28:49 am »

The problem is when you see it on the same computer in the same setting at nearly the same time (flipping back and forth) and it changes. So from page to page, minute by minute. Sometimes it's blue, but mostly white.
Also, the exact same image changes,NOT just one image from this site to an image from that site. ie: look at an image then look at a different one then go back to the first, sometimes it's different, sometimes it's the same.
Splain that Lucy.

Who you callin' Lucy?  Grin

Also, you realise this is an excellent way to promote your eBay store, yes?  Grin  What, about 10 million people looking at the same silly dress?  I wouldn't doubt it if the buyer decides to re-sell it for a tidy profit, and then the value of the dress keeps going up (just because people really want to see if the dress is blue)  Grin   By the weekend the stupid Chinese-made dress it will be worth a cool $100K  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:33:59 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 07:23:31 am »

now you know why artists wear black...Wink

Hard to tell, I have to agree about the color of the lighting. I think it's one of those 'women' colors (like taupe, puce, or winter ice) as opposed to 'men colors (light blue, dark blue, etc...Wink
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 07:52:01 am »

The Dress has made it to XKCD:

Mouseover text:
"This white-balance illusion hit so hard because it felt like someone had been playing through the Monty Hall scenario and opened their chosen door, only to find there was unexpectedly disagreement over whether the thing they'd revealed was a goat or a car."

I just tried this now; if you copy and paste this image into paint, cut out one dress and overlay it on the other, you'll see that they're the same color. It's downright eerie.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 09:12:28 am »

Aaaaargh!  It looks white again!  Stop messing with my mind!  Cheesy
Maxwell B. Cooper
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Imitation shows a lack of imagination.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 09:54:33 am »

Since this topic has come up, here's something you might find interesting: The Science of That Dress.

“One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” – Elbert Hubbard

The Imperial Code of the Second British Empire:
1. Be decent.
2. Carry on.

“If I could create an ideal world, it would be an England with the fire of the Elizabethans, the correct taste of the Georgians, and the refinement and pure ideals of the Victorians.” – H. P. Lovecraft
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 09:56:50 am »

You know what?  Screw it! I don't care anymore. I was talking about tartans in another thread, so I'm going back to that subject!

Is the tartan black and blue or white and gold?
 Cheesy  Grin

PS And for the record, if the dress was a nice white satin and gold/brown lace, IMHO it would look much better than a blue and black lace dress  Wink
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:25:01 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 11:06:48 am »

It changes for me as well, this morning I seem to be in white and gold mode but yesterday whenever it appeared it was about 50/50 which colour it would be. But once I saw it as a particular colour I couldn't will it to change, it was stuck and completely impossible to see how I could see the other colours. It does really mess with your mind. My mother is in the white and gold camp, my sister in the blue and black and just to be difficult my father declared it to be blue and brown.

~A~
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 11:12:19 am »

I saw it at least 50 times yesterday on wasteofspacebook, and 49 of those times it was blue and black (and the gold/white version was a tiny picture where the background light had been brought right up).  Interesting science behind it.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 01:25:30 pm »

No one ever sees the dress, what they see is the reflected light so if it appears to be black and blue it is white and orange as they are the colors that are in the dress, if it appears white (a light grey) and gold then it is actually black (a dark grey) and purple.

A picture taken by a film camera where you look at the negative will reveal the true color of the item. What you see is never the thing, only the light that bounces off the surface or passes through it.

So technically the dress is invisible and reality is subjective. That's before even going into how color perception is cultural, some languages not having words for some colors.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 01:28:25 pm »

Since this topic has come up, here's something you might find interesting: The Science of That Dress.

Unfortunately, no actual explanation of why the difference.  One statement stands out in the video

"The perception of reality is different from reality."
Argus McJohnsten
Gunner

Gravatar

Still learning.

rovingtriker
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 02:16:31 pm »

Being slightly colorblind, I see it as blue and black every time.

Find out what you cannot do, and then, go out and do it.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 03:57:29 pm »

Looks plight blue and brown to me

This is because the photos white balance is so screwed up. The actual dress is blue/black and there is no white/gold variant sold on amazon.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 05:21:05 pm »

The Dress has made it to XKCD:

Mouseover text:
"This white-balance illusion hit so hard because it felt like someone had been playing through the Monty Hall scenario and opened their chosen door, only to find there was unexpectedly disagreement over whether the thing they'd revealed was a goat or a car."

I just tried this now; if you copy and paste this image into paint, cut out one dress and overlay it on the other, you'll see that they're the same color. It's downright eerie.

Yup, if you don't have the skills to overlay them, which I don't in paint... Use the dropper tool (the one which selects colour) on both dresses and then draw a line of the colour it gives you. You'll see it's the same colour and both are blue!

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 05:22:14 pm »

Pale blue, brown and damned ugly.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 02:47:15 pm »

The dress is blue and black. The picture of the dress is blue and brown - that is, if you isolate the two colours and look at them separately, you'll see blue and brown.

Which tells me that whoever took the photograph isn't a good photographer.

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: