The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 06:01:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book recomendations  (Read 630 times)
mattig89ch
Gunner
United States United States

« on: February 27, 2015, 12:29:52 am »

Hidy ho all,

As sad to say as this is, time is no longer an ally.  It seems that I simply don't have enough of it in a day.  And as such, book reading book reading is something I've had to give up.

I've started listening to books on audible, simply to have something pleasant to listen to while I drive.  Most fellow readers hear the phrase 'listening to books' and instantly turn up their noses.  But I'm hoping some of my fellow readers realize that this is the only way to find time to read for me, for the moment.  I fully intend to return to real paper when I have the time.

I recently picked up a book titled "The Difference Engine" from audible.  I was throughly engrossed by the writing, but I was turned away by the world it was set in.  They talked alot regarding how the british empire had kept America from unifying, and it seemed that rather then being an ally, they were doing everything in their power to keep all other countries down.  This idea, simply kept me from enjoying the book, and I stopped listening to it.

I've always been a fan of American steam punk.  Taming the old west with flying machines, steam powered cars/motorcycles, and other such beautiful pieces of fiction.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations regarding steamy books on audible that weren't so pro-English and anti-rest of the world?

I believe that Steampunk is more than just brass and watchparts. It's finding a way to combine the past and the future in an aesthetic pleasing way. It's living a life that looks old-fashioned, yet speaks to the future.

Edwin Barrett Mudgewhack, at your service
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:58:40 am »

Dunno any specifics. You might consider Mike Resnick and some of his 'weird west' stories. I really don't know much about what books are audio books. I think Cherie Priest (sp?) has a few set in 19th Century Seattle.

In general, GCCC has an entry or two about Steampunk in general; over a thousand works in graphic, anthology, and general steampunk books. I suppose you could look for audio versions of those. It's further down in the listings in this forum.

The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 06:21:04 am »

There's a lot of places here we've talked about books, so it might pay to take a look at some of the lists we've come up with over the years.

The main question is, are you looking for historical fiction, pieces written in the Victorian era or straight fiction?

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
mattig89ch
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 01:35:46 am »

I would have to say "Yes" to your questions corsair.  I'm not picky in that regard.  But, being an American steampunk, I prefer things that don't rip in the USA.  So, perhaps books written in fictitious universes would be more my speed.

The single caveat is that they have to be in audio book format.  As I've said, time is no longer an ally.  Though that might change when I graduate.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 08:50:21 pm »

I was throughly engrossed by the writing, but I was turned away by the world it was set in.  They talked alot regarding how the british empire had kept America from unifying, and it seemed that rather then being an ally, they were doing everything in their power to keep all other countries down.  This idea, simply kept me from enjoying the book, and I stopped listening to it.
Must resist making comment that might be taken as overtly political..

.. must resist.. ..
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 11:08:46 pm »

I was throughly engrossed by the writing, but I was turned away by the world it was set in.  They talked alot regarding how the british empire had kept America from unifying, and it seemed that rather then being an ally, they were doing everything in their power to keep all other countries down.  This idea, simply kept me from enjoying the book, and I stopped listening to it.

.. must resist.. ..

Must not start discussion regarding 19th Century Eurocentric geopolitics. Must not......

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 11:57:44 pm »

.. must resist.. ..

Must not start discussion regarding 19th Century Eurocentric geopolitics. Must not......

I'm definitely not going to say anything about English mercantilist policies and their effect on global 19th century economics, nor on American Isolationism and Exceptionalism and its effect on 20th century politics and economics
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 12:00:07 am »

Also try The Rithmatist. Set in a fictional 1900's US, and the general idea is 'the muggle at hogwarts' (as in someone at a magical academy who can't actually do magic). Solid read (or in your case, solid listen).

http://www.audible.com/pd/Teens/The-Rithmatist-Audiobook/B00CYI0RA4/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1425164330&sr=1-1
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 03:26:39 pm »

I haven't read the Rythmatist, however Brandon Sanderson is my new favorite author, so I would suggest reading/listening to the Mistborn series. not exactly steampunk but set in a sudo-Victorian dark age, and extremely well written. 

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 06:12:59 am »

Dunno any specifics. You might consider Mike Resnick and some of his 'weird west' stories. I really don't know much about what books are audio books. I think Cherie Priest (sp?) has a few set in 19th Century Seattle.

In general, GCCC has an entry or two about Steampunk in general; over a thousand works in graphic, anthology, and general steampunk books. I suppose you could look for audio versions of those. It's further down in the listings in this forum.

Refer to any of the "Relatively Comprehensive" lists of books in Textual; find titles that intrigue you, then go through Amazon or Barnes and Noble to see if they have audiobooks available.
mattig89ch
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 12:31:52 am »

My thanks GCCC, if I have any free time this weekend (or before the end of the semester) I shall do that.

And my thanks to all those that made a recommendations.  The mist born series looks interesting.  Expensive, but interesting.  The alloy of law books especially.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: