The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 08:50:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: magic in a steamy RPG  (Read 1305 times)
hardlec
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Solutions do not need Problems

« on: February 23, 2015, 03:29:57 pm »

I am trying to make a steampunk-Victorian Role Play Game.

I need a list of spells and I'm having a block.

There are no levels in this game.  As you gain proficiency your spells work better.

Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim gun and they have not;
Technology is no substitute for Valor
Both are true.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 05:09:10 pm »

Hum, what kind of spells you need ? I guess magic ones but for which class of character.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 05:15:36 pm »

What roll do you want magic to play?  Will it help science and make it's practitioners capable of bending rules of mechanics they should not be able to or will it be against science and be more like calling a higher power?  The Dead Isle has a realy cool take on things (http://theoriginalsam.livejournal.com/24703.html) As does the steam london game on here (the later chapters more so than the first.) 

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:57:23 pm »

What is the nature of magic in your game world?

Once you have the basic framework, you might look at spells to fit:
attack: damage or manipulate opponents.
defense: avoid or reduce damage.
movement: flight or other ways to travel beyond the usual.  Be aware that these can very easily break game balance if you get sloppy.
healing: repair damage to yourself or equipment.
enhanced senses: observe distant or otherwise unseen stuff.  Also a potential game breaker if unrestricted.
crafting: in a steampunk world some kind of construct to work for a "magic" user seems likely.  Extending this, what comes to my mind with the mention of "steampunk magic" as an assortment of artifacts to implement any of the above.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:54:17 am »

Is there a particular movie of book that you are modeling your game after?
hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 06:06:50 am »

I do not have another persons work as an inspiration.

Technology is supreme but magic can enhance technology or make short-cuts.
 People who use magic do not want to be obvious. 
Alchemy is Technological enhancement, and there is almost always a scientific explanation.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 08:54:35 am »

I feel we'd need more details about the magic system before we can really be of much help.

That being said, we are most definitely happy to help Cheesy

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 07:26:08 pm »

Here is an example for a game from 2001, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura

Also, the MMORPG Black Gold has both steampunk and Magic, and is more recent than my previous example.

Welcome aboard Steampunk Away! We are a small custom order shop, creating jewelry, props, costumes, drawings, and models. Email us at steampunkaway@gmail.com to have us create your special order on commission! Have a mechanical day!
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 09:56:40 pm »

You'll definitely need a spell that can turn people into frogs.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 02:52:52 am »

Do some research on real nineteenth century mystics; Madame Blavatsky, Aleister Crowley, Franz Mesmer, Daniel David Palmer, Marie Laveau, spiritualists, the Thule Society, Joseph Smith, etc. Find out what they claimed to be able to do, and create a magic system to do those things.

I read an article on the Boxer Rebellion and the weirdness going on in China at the time. There were martial arts cults that believed in magic based martial arts; magic elixirs, magic stones that gave you powers when you swallowed them, etc.

Similarly, Native Americans had the ghost dance; a cult that believed that the white man would soon be driven from the land and the buffalo would return. The Ghost Dancers had their own rituals and magic artifacts.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 06:41:52 am »

...or turn people into newts, as long as they could get better...Wink

Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 04:44:16 pm »

the second book in the Burton and Swinburne mystery's is another interesting take on Victorian magic.  http://www.goodreads.com/series/53839-burton-swinburne
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 05:38:25 pm »

It depends how powerful you want users of Magick to be able to be. Is Magick an addition, or is it the main focus? The more powerful that Magick is, the less need you will have for technology.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 10:54:10 pm »

A good spell to have is one that can reverse entropy. For example allow heat to concentrate instead of spreading out to colder areas.
hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 11:10:04 am »

I am more interested in technomancy than fantasy magic. 
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 08:22:57 pm »

Shadowrun rules reduce characters' magic abilities as they ad cybernetics to their bodies; a rule to prevent characters from being powerful in both areas. The separation always seemed arbitrary to me; the idea of harnessing magic through mechanization and scientific methodology seemed more compelling to me.
hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 10:04:50 am »

I am very, very early in my development. 
I want to incorporate using cards instead of dice, possibly a tarot deck rather than standard playing cards as the basic mechanism for event resolution.  I want to cast a tarot spread to create characters. 
My RPG is not set on earth.  I have plans to have a character scale game (individual people) linked to a skirmish miniature game linked to a tactical game (units are battalions) linked to a strategic game (units are divisions.)
I am still reading suggested articles.
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 10:02:47 pm »

I think that in a steampunk setting it makes sense to have a magic system which is based on illusion and misdirection so that it's based on a psychological approach to science and technology.

when you think of Victorian magic and psuedo-science it tends to be quite theatrical stuff and this is of course the golden age of the stage magician. I think that for a character based RPG having abilities like hypnotism/mesmerism and the potential to create complex illusions could be very interesting. For a skirmish type game this could translate into buffs and debuffs as well as things like stealth abilities.

I tend to think that once you're in an era of technology where you have guns and explosives it seems a bit pointless to have magical fireballs etc as well.

Another possibility is that botany and zoology  were a rapidly emerging sciences and the period literature has lots of references to exotic poisons and hallucinogens.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 02:07:24 pm »

One option is to have Magick as just another branch of technology; so, instead of fireballs replacing guns, you have spells which enhance Steampunk creations. You could have spells which improve how effective steam engines are, ones which make guns more accurate, and so on.
Steampunk Away
Zeppelin Captain

Long Live The Icarus!

https://twitter.com/Steam
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 03:22:39 pm »

I am very, very early in my development.  
I want to incorporate using cards instead of dice, possibly a tarot deck rather than standard playing cards as the basic mechanism for event resolution.  I want to cast a tarot spread to create characters.  
My RPG is not set on earth.  I have plans to have a character scale game (individual people) linked to a skirmish miniature game linked to a tactical game (units are battalions) linked to a strategic game (units are divisions.)
I am still reading suggested articles.

The tarot idea is used heavily in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. R. A. Salvatore wrote the backstory, and the use of Fateweavers as people who can look into the threads of destiny and tell a person's fate. The tarot cards grant abilities and buffs/debuffs, and can act as classes as well. Definitely worth looking into, and there is a wikia for the game, and thus the cards also.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:46:30 am by Steampunk Away » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 02:29:39 am »

What kind of character creation system are you using?
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 07:25:46 am »

What kind of character creation system are you using?
Of note but not necessarily SP is Warmachine and Maifaux for there magic system.
What core RPG system builder are you using?

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
hardlec
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 03:21:27 pm »

I am not sure yet.  There are lots of good open licence ones still to look at.  Not D20.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 06:04:05 pm »

I am not sure yet.  There are lots of good open licence ones still to look at.  Not D20.

Why not D20 Wizards of the coast have open sourced both 3.5 and 4.0!
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 09:06:04 pm »

There are a lot of different RPG rulesets.  What kind of game are you after?

If you're looking for mental and social sparing as major features, Aspect by Stone Tablet Games does far better than most. (disclaimer, I'm one of the developers.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: