The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 05:50:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Steampunk Newbie Bucket List  (Read 1097 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: February 18, 2015, 04:55:30 pm »

During my year as a steampunker, i remarked the existence of some impondérables in the steampunk experience, his classics you may say.

So today, i decided we may list them for the benefit of the youngest générations.

Those i know so far:

Litterature:

Everything by Jules Verne and HG Wells

League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novel

Movie:

Treasure Planet

Disney's 20 000 League Under The Sea

Atlantis: The Lost Empire

Wild Wild West (Optional ^^)

The League Of Extrordinary Gentlemen (Optional^^)

Back To The Future III

Laputa: Castle In The Sky

Nausicaa

Howl's Moving Castle

Chicky Chicky Bang Bang

Music:

Abney Park

Vernian Process

Clockwork Cabaret

TV Show:

Wild Wild West

Jack Of All Trades

The Adventures Of Brisco County

The Secret Adventures Of Jules Verne

Doctor Who

Trigun

Escaflowne (Not Sure)

Fullmetal Alchemist (Not Sure)

Video Game:

The Bioshock Serie

Any addition to the list ?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:54:40 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:18:49 am »

Dear Chicar

As a newbie fully aware I am approaching steampunk from the wrong direction being as I am, what would be called an anorak, if I actually possessed such a garment; I am horrified to discover the list of essential steam punkery requires attending to Dr Who and completely omits Discworld. Having spent a great deal of time on Discworld it's omission is a matter which should be fully reviewed.

As far as Dr Who is concerned I have never been able to watch since that unfortunate episode where he declared his love for Billy Piper!!! I strongly suspect the doctor fell under the malign influence of a tv content management committee checklist during his prolonged absence at the end of the twentieth century. Oh for the stiff upper lipped manliness of Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee.

What about Men in Black, Van Heisling, Going Postal, avengers? If Doctor Who is included what about Blakes 7, THX, robocop, lost in space, icepirates, 2001, pans labyrinth, Brazil, metropolis, Dr Parnecissis and pretty much most of the others in my film collection. I do not have any star trek

As far as music is concerned we are clearly of different era's. I have got War of the worlds on vinyl but whilst I also possess Oldfield, Low, Hawkwind and such like I fear recommending them to a different generation is never an acceptable act. Please excuse me whilst I go for a fix of "Dance with the Devil"
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 01:06:39 am »

First: thank for the addition of Discworld.

Second: Their a whole thread dedicated to Dr Who in Aural Ocular section, so for once i'm not the only one to blame ( because yes i do make classification mistakes in the past like a certain moderator could tell you).
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:23:47 am »

Unless they are showing the Bertie Bassett story I shall avert my gaze from that Dr Who thread. How the BBC ever got to show that one I have never understood.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 01:08:51 am »

We risk entering the realms of 'that's not steampunk. Yes, it is. No, it isn't' in this kind of topic.  We perhaps each have our own definition.  My personal short version is Victorian-inspired science fiction', but I readily admit it's far too narrow.  But having said that, I respectfully beg to doubt that there's anything remotely steampunk about MIB, Blake's 7 or 2001.  The odd raygun does not a steampunk make.  I do accept Doctor Who, in that the Matt Smith TARDIS was surely steampunk by most definitions.  The Doctor himself?  Probably not.

Less controversially (maybe!), may I add to the Literature section of the list?  Some of these are commonly regarded as fundamental to the origins of steampunk as we know it today:

The Difference Engine (William Gibson/Bruce Sterling)

The Diamond Age (Neal Stephenson)

The Anubis Gates (Tim Powers)

Infernal Devices (KW Jeter - the man who coined the word 'steampunk')

Mainspring (and its sequels) (Jay Lake)

Lord Kelvin's Machine (and many others) (James Blaylock)

A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah! (Harry Harrison) (also published as Tunnel through the Deeps)

More recently, and in a lighter vein, the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger and the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris are worth a look (the latter only if you can handle their appalling editing).

This is far from a comprehensive list, but includes many I've enjoyed personally.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 06:11:44 am »

Television series should absolutely include The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne, as well as most of Warehouse 13 (for which several of our own members produced props) and the regrettably-short-lived Legend, starring Richard Dean Anderson as Ernest Pratt, professional drunkard, pulp novelist and creator and unwilling portrayer of 19th century Old Western superhero Nicodemus Legend and John DeLancie as Nikola Tesla (in turn playing "Artemus Gordon" to Pratt/Legend's "James West".)

Also, you completely omitted Firefly — there's more than a few folk around here whose coats are sort of a brownish colour (they were on sale.)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Antonus Fudge
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 02:58:14 pm »

In terms of music, I find Pram evoke in me the same feelings as Steampunk. I'm certain they have songs about taxidermy, masked balls, automata, technology yet to be developed, and all played against the sound of a broken zoetrope - marvellous!

~ * ~
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 07:25:27 pm »

With regards to music for me the list includes
Steampowered Giraffe
Abney Park
The Cog is Dead
The men who will not be blamed for nothing
Birthrite
Crimson Clocks
Professor Elemental
Mr B the gentlemen rhymer

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 11:56:59 am »

A few suggestions of my own. While they may have a shortage of goggles and airships, they do help develop an appreciation of the Victorian/Edwardian period. The roots of steampunk.

The original Sherlock Holmes stories of ACD are almost required reading. A bonus is that the writing style still holds up really well. Or if you're into audio books, track down the version read by Derek Jaobi.

The film The Great Race. A rollicking adventure that's just at the tail end of the steam era, but that certainly has the correct mindset, and its heart in the right place. I'd certainly prefer it over the Wild Wild West movie.

And while yes, I've raved about this film elsewhere, if one has a tolerance for romance, the film Somewhere in Time, while being set in the Edwardian era (1912), and while lacking any true steampunk elements will definatly inspire a love for the clothes, and culture of the period. In a somewhat idealized and romanticized form of course. But that's how most of us think of it anyway isn't it?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:57:00 pm by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Miss Indigo Darling
Officer

Adventuress

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 05:33:51 pm »

I would like to recommend the film "Stardust", based on Neil Gaiman's novel of the same name.
Whilst perhaps not set in the Victorian era per se, it delivers adventure, action, airships, a sparkle of magic AND, Robert De Niro as the most unforgetable Sky Pirate Captain ever.

"Of all the fishes in the sea, my favourite is the bass. He climbs up on the tall sea weed, and slides down on his hands and knees."
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 11:42:50 pm »

Which reminds me, I need to go back a finish watching that dvd.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:45:54 pm by Herbert West » Logged
Ryu
Zeppelin Captain

Rawr

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 05:24:06 am »

If I may add some items,

Music: Emperor Norton's Stationary Marching Band. (They're a big band kind of group. They're best live, but their CD's are good too.), Frenchy and the Punk.

TV shows: The Librarians (Not sure how steampunk it is, but they have a LOT of fun gadgets and mythological trinkets.), Last Exile.

Movies: Steamboy, Hugo, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, The Prestige.
SquidgeyBat
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 09:22:57 pm »

newbie adding my penny's worth here

I found the Mortal Engines books by Phillip Reeve to be of a steampunk nature? please correct me if I'm wrong Smiley
Also the Firefly series seemed to have a sort of space western feel? But again I'm not 100%

The list of films will help me though, as I'm going to start putting together my first steampunk cosplay over the year,
and want to watch/read anything that will give me ideas and keep me in creative mode Smiley
Rose Inverness
Snr. Officer

Communing with the Over-soul via you.

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 07:46:26 pm »

Other than agreeing with many suggestions here, and researching several that I hadn’t heard of, here are my additions:

Literature:
Mary Shelley’s ‘Frankenstein’, while also is traditional horror, is of the proper vintage and technological advancement. We don’t have to embrace the reanimation of dead tissue to acknowledge a great truth of Victoriana; the dead matter, and we are curious about them. And can possibly nullify their mode of existence via technology.

‘Devil in the White City’ by Erik Larson is a beautifully written look at what America was like around the turn of the last century. It goes into the planning of the World’s Fair of 1893 and a killer who capitalized on its hubbub. There is a major focus on architecture and building technology that I find fascinating and inseparable from any true study of Victorian & Edwardian times.

Music:
Unwoman
Rasputina
King Crimson
Beats Antique

Film:

Mirrormask

Already mentioned Points of interest in my own steam journey:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (graphic novel)
Atlantis: the lost empire  (film)
Firefly (tv)
Prestige (film)
Stardust (film)
Hugo (film)

That delicate forest flower,   
With scented breath and look so like a smile,   
Seems, as it issues from the shapeless mould,   
An emanation of the indwelling Life,   
A visible token of the upholding Love,   
That are the soul of this great universe.

~William Cullen Bryant

Trains to Steamtown, this way...
Ryu
Zeppelin Captain

Rawr

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 09:41:12 pm »

If I may add another movie that I just encountered,

"Jack and the cuckoo clock heart."

Amusing music and beautiful imagery.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 10:19:54 pm »

For the music side of things, I'd like to direct you to the Notes section of my Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj/notes

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 04:48:44 pm »

Literature 'The condition of the English working class'? Just to prove not everyone wore a top hat. Likewise some Dickens.

Music 'English Rebel Songs' by Chumbawumba ... particularly Chartist anthem, poverty knock and smashing of the van.

Film 'Ned Kelly' authentic Steampunk era armour

That will give you a more 'rounded' understanding of the period when combined with the other suggestions. And if you decide to write a Steampunk story you'll have some background for an 'anti-hero' (always useful).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: