The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 11:03:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallen London  (Read 803 times)
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« on: February 18, 2015, 02:06:57 am »

Odd I've never seen it mentioned. Are there any Fallen London players here? If not, give it a look, its an odd sort of browser game, text based (I actually think most of those cheap money-stealers are made using free software the makers of FL put out), imagine Steamgoth as written by Lewis Caroll and HR Giger, with input from Pratchett and Gaiman.

If any of you want to join, tell me! Make a throwaway gmail account, give me the adress and I'll invite you. The game'll reward us both. In game, I mean.

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:33:46 pm »

If you like Fallen London, I believe the new game 'Sunless Sea' is set in the same universe, and seems pretty neat...

Since I shouldn't buy new games at the minute, I'll give it a shot - 'warlordjones@gmail.com' (No need for a throwaway)

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:00:42 pm »

Message away! It's always good to start a game with a bonus.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:33:47 pm »

Yeah I play it (have done for years actually but deleted my account when I reached the limits of the *then content* and opened a new one last year) and will admit to being tempted by Sunless Sea.

I'll send you my email in a message.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Snr. Officer

jacknife98
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 10:19:22 pm »

Argh, this is making me really want to play Sunless Sea Tongue Bumped to next thing on my to-buy list
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 05:39:47 am »

I haven't played Fallen London yet, but I bought Sunless Sea a couple weeks ago. It's a fantastic game, here's a quick review:

Writing and small stories make up a huge part of the atmosphere and gameplay, but you won't be faced with TL;DR walls of text. The writing is minimalist and effective, beautiful, haunting, unsettling, at times downright terrifying, leaving space for your imagination to make the worst of scattered details. Personally I don't find HP Lovecraft's writing all the frightening. Some stories in this game have unsettled me to a degree and depth I've never encountered in my adult life. Your mileage may vary.

It captures the Firefly ethos of living on the edge remarkably well, as far as I've played it. It's a prolonged struggle to stay afloat, keep the crew fed and fuel in the tanks. You're never sure where or if your next paycheck is coming from; there are a few reliable ways to make money but in themselves they'll rarely make ends meet. Failure leads to a number of... interesting endings, including madness, being forced to eat your crew, engine explosions, or stabbing yourself to death while trying to make a blood offering to the Zee gods. (my most memorable death to date)

The control mechanics are simplistic and polished (the interactive story menu is buggy at times, but not life-threateningly so). There are a bunch of controls for your ship, but there is no fast-travel, quest compass, or any in-game calculator for how much food or fuel it takes to get anywhere. There's a chart that shows where where you are and what direction you're pointing, that's it.

Most games will force you to grind for resources and cash in local areas before you can venture out across the map. Sunless Sea will punish you for trying this tactic. My first break came after I'd completed the intro quests/voyages, after which point my first four captains had come to slow agonizing ends. I said 'screw it, I want to see what's on the far side of the map, even if I'll run out of fuel and die there.' That captain is still alive and has explored nearly all of the map so far.

Permanent death (you die once, you start over) adds to the tension. You can't take a risk and then load a past save if it goes wrong. And nearly every action in the game is risky in one way or another. In fact most of the long-term goals in the game are about passing on wealth and experience to your next captain after your current one is eaten by an iceberg.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Snr. Officer

jacknife98
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 06:49:47 pm »

Good to hear you think Sunless Sea is worth it Alexis.

I have been getting rather fed up with the action limit on Fallen London, as much as I love the world, and also thought we have many great minds here - so, I have embarked upon a project - an unofficial Brass Goggles storynexus, at brassgoggles.storynexus.com. It has the most lenient action settings available, with actions regenerating every 10 minutes, and a maximum of 100 total. Please note that it is currently in the very first stages of development. It is quite the undertaking, so I am looking for contributions from all you here.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 08:50:48 pm »

Avid Fallen London-er here....

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 11:16:42 pm »

I enjoyed the background of Fallen London but I found the game itself deeply frustrating, the combination of having to grind for resources and having very limited action points was just a bit too much. Added to this was the frustration that most of the story-lines just seem to grind to a halt after a while.

This would be ok for an action game that is actually fun to play but it just seems to promise a lot and never actually deliver any payoff.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Snr. Officer

jacknife98
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 01:03:29 am »

Exactly. That's one reason I feel like Sunless Sea could be much better - same cool universe, but a proper game with none of the silly limited stuff...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 06:17:44 pm »

Rather than start a new topic on the same lines....

Does anyone still play Fallen London?  There's a feature now of adding friends which opens up new story lines (and which you actually need to have for others).  Actually, there has been that feature for a little while. 

So... if there other Fallen Londoners out there... shall we start a BG friends circle on it?
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 09:10:40 pm »

Still have an active account but have fallen out of logging in regularly. Should probably try and get back into it.

Main reason I've kept it open is because I've had sunless sea on my steam wishlist for a while and there's a bonus you can get in both games for linking your accounts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: