The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 12:43:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian era slang dictionary  (Read 538 times)
Damnd of Hell
Gunner
United States United States

« on: February 17, 2015, 12:43:24 am »

Found this and it's works a lot for the writing I'm doing.     http://www.tlucretius.net/Sophie/Castle/victorian_slang.html

Your Hell, is my paradise.
Antonus Fudge
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:02:40 pm »

Super! I will most definitely delve into. In return, allow me to introduce the "Majestical Soy Bomb Nonsense Generator!"

http://www.soybomb.com/tricks/words/

~ * ~
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 11:31:14 pm »

Why thank you good sir.  Cheesy
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 12:51:06 am »

http://www.soybomb.com/tricks/words/

That could be the basis of a party game; players must define the randomly generated words.
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 01:24:54 pm »

May I make a small suggestion about culture. The tendency when reading a dictionary is that it gives exact meanings and for the educated classes and modern philosophy getting a precise meaning defined is the driving force. However when looking at the culture of the lower classes such as my own cockney culture the drive is not to be precise but to play with the edges of meaning. So that I can say something which can only be understood in precise context, once the context is gone then the meaning of the sentence is also lost (very useful if your words might be repeated in court).
For instance the first word in the dictionary is Abbess, and the definition given is a madam of a brothel. So the connection is the head of a group of ladies, but all the other contexts are wrong.
Thus if you are trying to write in the style of one of these subcultures I would advise not just looking to use the dictionary but to immerse yourself in the culture and play with the words. Remember little often means big  as in 'Little John' Robin hoods mate, If a person is nicknamed Jock in the British Army you know he might come from Wales, Ireland, India or anywhere but Scotland.
Being conversant in cockney say, is not about knowing titfor means hat, but that you are able to play with constantly changing rhymes.
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:39:56 pm »

Thank you, I will be paying more attention to this detail in my characters.    Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: