The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 19, 2019, 08:51:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Objects, Continued - From My Microwave With Love  (Read 1207 times)
Mrs.EP
Gunner
Italy Italy

« on: February 15, 2015, 03:38:16 pm »

"Objects, Continued - From My Microwave With Love" is the title of the project I've been working on during the last year and a half.

"Objects, Continued" because what I have done is take objects and complete them in order to make them work.
"From My Microwave With Love" because that's how I received the objects I've been working on. At some time in September I bought a "thing" (only recently I realized that I never bothered giving it a name, it's always just been “the thing”) that turned out to be some sort of catalyst. Once charged and placed in our kitchen, it prompted the microwave oven to act as a gateway (one way only, unfortunately) bringing to me objects, parts, drawings, notes. There is an intent; someone is sending those things, they are not just random and disconnected.

At first I have been convinced that the right thing was to collect the pieces and catalogue them and best as I could. But my curiosity kept growing; I wanted to see these contraptions work. My intention of preserving the artefacts as they were subsided in contrast with the need to interact with them, to try to understand what they were supposed to do.

I've been able to reconstruct four devices, non all of them completely working, unfortunately.

Here's a detail of one of the parts that make up device number 1:

Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 03:41:12 pm »

Intriguing... do engage your Hertzian Cooker some more!

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 03:44:23 pm »

Great concept.  Looking forward to seeing what else is revealed.  Please keep us posted.

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 04:16:16 pm »

It is quite possible that your microwave is connected to the place where lost socks go.
Mrs.EP
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 01:43:55 pm »

Intriguing... do engage your Hertzian Cooker some more!

HP

Alas, lately it has been quite reticent. We have no idea whether it's because of the experimenting we carried out while trying to understand how it works, or simply the sender has stopped sending.

It is quite possible that your microwave is connected to the place where lost socks go.

I think you are onto something here!

Here is an image of the thing, as transmitted by the thing itself. I fancy the thing has a penchant for self-referentiality.

Mrs.EP
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 01:21:48 pm »

I'm still in the process of documenting the actual things that came through and that I worked on; in the meanwhile I'm going to share some illustrations of parts related to the main devices, that didn't come through.

For device number 1, which is an “Apparatus to overcome the perceived lack of humanity in today’s communication”  we have an automated mechanism

For device number 2, called “Device to regulate the flow of excessive information we are subjected to” we have a measuring contraption

For device 3, or “Method for recording sound on a physical object, that can be easily reproduced to be heard, conserved, transferred” we have an image of the recording apparatus

And for device 4, “Contraption to regulate the imbalance of created by insufficient human interaction”, I really have no idea

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 01:30:39 pm »

Nice drawings.
Mrs.EP
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:00:23 am »

thank you!
Sulla
Snr. Officer

Full of steam, young in punk.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 03:41:51 pm »

Those are really fantastic drawings.  I must say I adore the recording device.  I totally see ladies and gents doffing their hats and jamming their heads into that con nervously to say something silly to be recorded for all time (or until the wax cylinder melts by accident...)

-Andy
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 09:01:26 pm »

Rather whimsical and Pythonesque  Wink
Mrs.EP
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 11:58:13 am »

The first device is the most complex, composed of many parts. According to the documentation that came with it, it is a machine for communication.
Composed of two stations, each station is composed by a raised board, upon which five different humanoid figures find space. In front of each figure, a small light and a switch; if you tap the switch, the corresponding light on the other station lights up.
The figures are the most interesting parts: they are not stationary, instead they move, like small automata. Some of the drawings show some sort of mechanism that would set the automaton in motion when the light goes on, however nothing like the sort came through and I haven’t been able to reconstruct it. Therefore in this version, the recipient of the message needs to operate the indicated automaton by herself, when the message comes through.
They can be removed from the station, probably to make maintenance easier, or maybe different set would be made available. They simply plug into the station base; the bottom part of each figure is composed of three tabs of different width, in five different configurations so that it is impossible to accidentally place a figure in place of another, I guess to avoid serious misunderstandings. Each automaton represent an expressive gesture; some of them are common and some are more peculiar.

“I wish to express my affection for you in an acceptable manner despite the distance”

“This bears absolutely no interest to me”

”You should reformulate the concept, dear, the way you expressed it escapes my comprehension”

“This creates an emotion so strong that I cannot find appropriate words to express it and I feel the need to appeal to a higher entity”

“This is completely and absolutely unacceptable”
Mrs.EP
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 08:17:02 pm »

Those are really fantastic drawings.  I must say I adore the recording device.  I totally see ladies and gents doffing their hats and jamming their heads into that con nervously to say something silly to be recorded for all time (or until the wax cylinder melts by accident...)

this one actually records on small strips, so only short messages are possibles
Mrs.EP
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 08:20:01 pm »

I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but the whole project is going to be exhibited in Munich next week.

Here's an image of the ticket that will be given to all visitors
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 10:41:27 pm »

Congrats.  Keep us posted on how things go.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 05:22:16 am »

How exciting.
Mrs.EP
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 12:07:24 pm »

I survived. It was good.
Going to post pictures when I am caught up with unpacking and sleep.
Thank you all for the kind words.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: