The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 04:45:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Avatar is...  (Read 4659 times)
Major Vincent Smith
Eccentric Gentleman
Board Moderator
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Vampyre Lord of the Twilight Overlord of Hellfire

jacknife98
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2015, 10:57:22 pm »

A mechanical spidery thingummy. Not made by me either, nicked the picture from somewhere.

I might go do a steampunk recolour of my other otherwise universal avatar actually...

EDIT: Hello, I'd like you to meet Ironoctocat's (that's an octopus/cat cross in an ironman suit. Because) steampunk cousin. No, its certainly not just Ironoctocat with a new coat of paint!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:12:46 pm by Major Vincent Smith » Logged

Spammers Flattened: 52
"Not on my watch!"
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 10:11:43 am »

would you believe it if I said it was a photo of me?
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 10:25:33 am »

would you believe it if I said it was a photo of me?

no. it looks like a painting.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2015, 11:44:57 am »

Mine is a photo of me taken at the 'Museum of Power' in Langford near Maldon, Essex.
They now have regular 'Steampunk days and the next will be 8th November.

The photo was taken by one Captain Dirigible during a day out with the 'League of Essextraordinary Gentlemen' in, I think, 2011. Although it's called the 'League of ESSEXtraordinary Gentlemen' we have members from Kent and East London up to Suffolk and even Norfolk.

The radio is a 1930's original Bakelite of which they have a small but nice collection.
My handmade electronic pipe was made by Mycroft Milverton.
My Brown Derby hat was sourced at Mad Hatters in Brighton.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2015, 05:19:01 pm »

A re-purposed chunk of my website www.crimsonforge.co.uk

The original frame (yes I'm getting round to updating the lay out) looks like this:

I do like a bit of movement in my avatars if the forums can handle it. I designed the eye with the http://longnow.org/clock/prototype1/ in mind.

I like it, It reminds me of what I can do if I set my mind to it.

Carl Vandenwolf
Deck Hand

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2015, 01:52:44 pm »

Mine is a photo of a bit of my work. I thought it would be a lot prettier than my ugly old mush. I engrave metal stuff, mainly firearms.
I'd been a lurker for quite some time and signed up to join in the fun. Nice to see a forum with no flaming wars and trolls. Hopefully I'll get along to some meetings when I get all my clobber sorted out.

Artist/Hand Engraver/Metalsmith/Master Idler and Dreamer
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2015, 02:21:58 pm »

That is very fine work sir. Where did you learn that particular craft? I assume you mainly do farming and "sport" guns?
Carl Vandenwolf
Deck Hand

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2015, 02:44:17 pm »

That is very fine work sir. Where did you learn that particular craft? I assume you mainly do farming and "sport" guns?

Thankyou kind sir. I finished my hand engraver apprenticeship some 35 years ago. Actual title was "Hand plate engraver". The gun stuff has only been the last 10 years or so, and yes mainly sporting guns.

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2015, 03:26:49 pm »

Nifty. I have done a touch of wood carving (hoping to do some more, I have some lovely beech Shillelagh's that need some evil signs and wonders; the club of cathulu......)
I do a lot of chainmaille work and have been looking into chemical etching (as there are some comprehensive works on the subject round here). Engraving however...... That's just a touch beyond my artistic capabilities. Do you have further examples of your work?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2015, 04:54:41 pm »

This one is me, sitting on the front (?) porch of the Plantation House in the Living History Area at Washington on the Brazos State Park. It's a photo snapped of me with my camera, by a phptographer friend of the Dulcimer Society. We were there performing at the annual Texas' Birthday Celebration. That's me holding my tackhead minstrel/plantation banjo, with my more modern openback banjo on a stand beside the chair. I'm in more or less period dress (runaway scrape, basically; its a relatively easy style since its basically what a person might have thrown on and grabbed if they believed (as most did at the time) that Santa Anna were just over the hill and wearing out horses, infantry and saddle leather to burn the town. And yes, some would have been doing what we were doing, just because every other jackanapes was clogging the only road out trying to get away...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Carl Vandenwolf
Deck Hand

« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2015, 05:50:26 pm »

Nifty. I have done a touch of wood carving (hoping to do some more, I have some lovely beech Shillelagh's that need some evil signs and wonders; the club of cathulu......)
I do a lot of chainmaille work and have been looking into chemical etching (as there are some comprehensive works on the subject round here). Engraving however...... That's just a touch beyond my artistic capabilities. Do you have further examples of your work?

I do have more pics, just looking up instruction on uploading etc. I presume I've got to use an image bank whatever they're called, and link to it.

I had a go at chainmaille years ago, found it too fiddly and some of the exotic ones too confusing... like missing a stitch when knitting..... having to pull it apart. Do you rivet the links?
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2015, 05:04:42 am »

I do hope,
that folks will be able to identify my avatar photo,
and my signature,
and thus the "hook" ,
with a minimum of prompting?

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2015, 02:26:07 pm »

I do have more pics, just looking up instruction on uploading etc. I presume I've got to use an image bank whatever they're called, and link to it.

I had a go at chainmaille years ago, found it too fiddly and some of the exotic ones too confusing... like missing a stitch when knitting..... having to pull it apart. Do you rivet the links?

Unfortunately the bottom has dropped out of the rivetted hauberk market due to cheap imports. I mainly work with butted.

DNA necklace.
http://www.southgatephoto.org.uk/Projects/Crossness-Steampunk-Convivial/i-SZWDLg8/A

The tea duelling chain
http://www.southgatephoto.org.uk/Projects/Crossness-Steampunk-Convivial/i-vqvhQdB/A

OOoo selfie!
http://www.southgatephoto.org.uk/Projects/Crossness-Steampunk-Convivial/i-N8FKK2n/A
Carl Vandenwolf
Deck Hand

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2015, 07:27:27 am »

Do you have further examples of your work?

Here you go.... a job from last year. A 20g OU.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2015, 09:29:15 pm »

Here you go.... a job from last year. A 20g OU.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am amazed and enraptured.... may I adopt you?
ah, drat you are in the UK so that raises multinational problems, not to mention minion work-rule violations.

would that I could at least hire you to work on my yellowboy  Cry

yhs
prof marvel
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2015, 10:32:08 pm »

My avatar is a tricorn teacup and saucer, modeled with pov-ray.
Carl Vandenwolf
Deck Hand

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2015, 09:14:20 am »

I am amazed and enraptured.... may I adopt you?
ah, drat you are in the UK so that raises multinational problems, not to mention minion work-rule violations.

would that I could at least hire you to work on my yellowboy  Cry

yhs
prof marvel

Thanks Prof. There are quite a few very talented engravers on your side of the pond. Check out Sam Alfanos forum, "The Engravers Cafe".

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2015, 06:10:25 am »

Thanks Prof. There are quite a few very talented engravers on your side of the pond. Check out Sam Alfanos forum, "The Engravers Cafe".

Thread Hijack ......Thread Hijack ......Thread Hijack ......Thread Hijack ......Thread Hijack ......Thread Hijack ......
Ah My Dear Herr Vandenwolf -
thanks for the link, I have actually been a lurker over there for some time, hoping to glean some hints for a hopelessly smitten newby.... could I possible trouble you to perhaps start a thread showing more of your work and (dare I ask) some hints for an aging fool with sharp gravers who doesn't want to put them through his palm an absolute beginner?

we now return you to your thread       My Avatar is... we now return you to your thread       My Avatar is...
yhs
prof marvel
Dave Leppo
Snr. Officer

fabricateur

« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2015, 05:13:25 pm »

Professor Wormbog
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2015, 05:39:38 pm »

Stolen, colured and plagiarized from information leaflet that goes with new caving shines! - they don't stay shiny for long!

The logo is stamped on most of my abseiling metalwork and its actually telling you to R.T.F.M., I decided to turn it around (as I got fed up of seeing the same hieroglyphics and charts etc!), there are other stampings on the kit, one of which could be totally N.S.F.W.!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Vampyroteuthis Infernalis
Snr. Officer

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2015, 05:11:37 am »

It's a Vampyroteuthis Infernalis!
What's not to like about a "Vampire Squid From Hell"?

The contributing
V.I.

Look!   Up in the sky!  It's a bird!  It's a plane!  It's...a Zeppelin?

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2015, 07:08:51 am »

The 'vampire Squid' is pretty cute!
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2015, 08:35:02 am »

Me! Or rather a pic of me done over by a chap on here.

What do we want? Decapitations!
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2015, 06:11:32 pm »

One Mr. Jonathan Hawley Griffin (known to his intimates as "Jack"), whose experiments in optical density have been documented elsewhere.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2015, 03:20:26 am »

So that's why we can't see you!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: