The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 01:38:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would Steampunk Witches be like ?  (Read 2447 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: February 12, 2015, 10:42:55 pm »

With all that alchemy and magic potions  going on ,  the cauldron tackle and the costume; what would  steampunk witchery be all like ?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 11:19:56 pm »

real witch houses

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 11:22:34 pm »

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 12:38:31 am »

I suspect that due to the fascination with the occult in the 19th. C, the houses wild look remarkably normal for the Victorian period...  The use of paranormal Artefacts would be the difference.  Perhaps among unholy talismans and display cases full of strange paraphernalia, you would find Aetheric devices such as Will Rockwell's "soul harvester" you have seen before at Brassgoggles.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:48:48 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 12:50:21 am »

Path 1: Magitech

Path 2: Magic From Technology|Sufficently Advanced Technology

And here a good idea for DIESELPUNK witches and sorcerer (just give a better role to the white magic movement ):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG89fG1eKJ8

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:56:29 am by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 04:15:52 am »

I suspect that due to the fascination with the occult in the 19th. C, the houses wild look remarkably normal for the Victorian period...  The use of paranormal Artefacts would be the difference.  Perhaps among unholy talismans and display cases full of strange paraphernalia, you would find Aetheric devices such as Will Rockwell's "soul harvester" you have seen before at Brassgoggles.

are you suggesting that Aleister Crowley was Steampunk- you may be onto something here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 10:20:41 am »

are you suggesting that Aleister Crowley was Steampunk- you may be onto something here

Perhaps.  We already have an Aleister Crow in Brassgoggles  Grin We're only 3 letters away

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=12123
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 12:36:00 am »

Perhaps.  We already have an Aleister Crow in Brassgoggles  Grin We're only 3 letters away

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=12123

There are some very intriguing names used on here

More power to them !
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 09:51:59 pm »

With all that alchemy and magic potions  going on ,  the cauldron tackle and the costume; what would  steampunk witchery be all like ?

What an intriguing idea. I'm imagining a esoteric paraphernalia augmented by brass and copper mechanisms. Oddly glowing liquids circulated through glass tubing by steam driven pumps; bubbling cauldrons mixed by the complex motions of intricate clockwork; disquietingly life-like automatons made more than mere machines by a scroll inscribed with arcane symbols placed where its heart should be; the traditional witch's transport, a broomstick, embellished with instrumentation on multi-jointed linkages for navigation, not just within the earthly plane, and the channelling of ethereal energies; rune-covered goggles with multiple, liquid filled lenses for peering into the Dark Dimensions and seeing what cannot be seen...

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S.

Looks a bit like my make-up box...  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:54:59 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 10:59:44 pm »

Yes Dear Miss Miranda,  I saw n my minds eye,  neon green bubbling potions,  gold  winkle dust , brass and coppers cauldron workings, jars of preserves toads, frogs and other assorted curiosities . Swirling ectoplasm drifting to a pitched Gothic roof

ps. The above  image looks frighteningly like the contents of my kitchen pantry
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 06:08:30 pm »

Steamy boiler bubble trouble, turbines churn, and pressure double
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 06:15:47 pm »

The pagans and/or witches that I know who are also interested in Steampunk don't really mix the two.

In fiction maybe.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 02:21:10 am »

Winkle dust?  Gold winkle dust?

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 05:34:56 am »

Winkle dust?  Gold winkle dust?

Winkle dust. Magic fairy dust .Found mainly in pocket corners and belly buttons.
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 09:12:23 am »

Well since about 50% of the Witches I know are also interested in Steampunk - I guess Steampunk Witches would be like ...... me and my friends ,,,,,,*

Athanor.

*The other 50% are SCA.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:14:01 am by Athanor » Logged

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 12:34:53 am »

We're talking witches, not wiccans.

I'd imagine they might have mechanical animals as familiars.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 09:43:40 am »

I know. That's what I said. Witches.

Athanor.
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 10:05:43 am »

Dear Miss Miranda

the traditional witch's transport, a broomstick, embellished with instrumentation on multi-jointed linkages for navigation, not just within the earthly plane, and the channelling of ethereal energies

How wonderfully perfect. My hazel and willow shall be ready for harvest next full moon. Just in time for oestara and the perfect accessory to my live willow bower. The rune goggles to which you refer are the symbols of the constellations through which the moon travels advising me of the nature of my activities for the day.

Today the moon is in pisces (or fishes if you prefer), we are both waxing and ascending. Today I shall sow my cabbage, sprouts and cauliflower.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 05:41:03 am »

I know. That's what I said. Witches.

Athanor.

Perhaps a good idea is for those of you in the know to explain to rest of us - who are basically ignorant on the subject, the details and differences between each type....

I like the idea of mechanical familiars...
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 06:20:22 am »

We're not allowed to talk about religion on here. For now let us just say there are some modern religions, that like giving the pretense of following ancient traditjons.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 09:19:54 am »

We're not allowed to talk about religion on here. For now let us just say there are some modern religions, that like giving the pretense of following ancient traditjons.

While I enjoy a thread taking a tangent and a life of it's own...

I had not intended a profound religious   or quasi philosophical debate on any level

I was referring to the traditional  witch of the fairy tale  or superstition from the medieval to Disney epochs - on a very low brow level

I should have  foreseen  it would only end in  devilment and persecution.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 09:37:40 am »

If I was intending to stir controversy and moral  outrage - I would have posted these

Warning :may induce an attack of The Vapours

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 09:44:34 am »

Then it's a good thing you didn't.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 09:56:18 am »

These  Gothic type sorceress  are  more of a  dangerous and lethal Steampunk  influence

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 10:09:00 am »

The only "witch" I ever liked was Stevie Nicks  Grin

Stevie Nicks - Stand Back (Official Video)

(Video) Fleetwood Mac - "Dreams" from the Rumours album (1976)
Fleetwood Mac- Dreams

(Beautiful woman - hotness of hotnesses  Grin )
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:43:47 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: