The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 11:12:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Cruise  (Read 1885 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: February 03, 2015, 10:27:17 pm »

Warning: The following quote from Cracked.Com came from a article about ''Bizarre Theme Cruises For Unspeakably Lonely People'' and contain mockery of our beloved genre.

''Steampunk is a genre of science-fiction for people who wish that the Industrial Revolution never ended and people who really savored the experience of watching Wild Wild West in the theater. Now, fans of the genre can sign up for "eight nights of steampunk music, literature, and lace" aboard the Steampunk Cruise ship, although in all fairness it really should be on a blimp (apparently cruise blimps are difficult to reserve).

If that doesn't grab the socially oppressed nihilist in you, hold on to your bloomers, because there's more. Activities in which you can participate include such gems as the "Unbirthday Party for All," the "Mermaid Costume Contest," and "Mind-Bending Steampunk Confabulations on Everything From Steampunk History to the Future of Our Past," a series of words that sound like a randomly generated sentence shrieked out by a dying robot.

There's also a Steampunk Film Festival, which will presumably consist of repeated viewings of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Treasure Planet, because the library of steampunk films isn't particularly deep.

There's also the sure-to-be-disturbingly-sweaty steampunk clothing swap, some damn thing called the Tea Bag Swap (which we can only assume will also be disturbingly sweaty), and the Swimming of the Mermaids, which we hope is the part of the cruise where the losers of the mermaid costume contest are thrown overboard for being philistines.

Just like the Meow Meow Cruise, the Steampunk Cruise doesn't occupy the entire ship -- it's a standard Royal Caribbean cruise, with the steampunk folks having reserved certain rooms for their whimsical activities at various points during the trip. In fact, last year (yes, Steampunk Cruise has been unleashed before), many of the other guests mistook the steampunk passengers for costumed employees as they paraded around the ship, though one wonders how in the clockwork shitwhistle someone could've made that error.

Wearing fanciful costumes on a boat surrounded by waspy adults who have no idea what the hell you're doing is a bit like having a party in your parents' basement, but it's a small price to pay to spend eight days floating in the Caribbean dressed as Mr. Peanut.''

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 11:24:29 pm »

I saw that and was just mildly insulted.... I figure that the author is just a person who looks at the surface of things only, we know that steampunk is much more than that.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 12:58:15 am »

Well, it is Cracked, a satire magazine launched to compete with Mad. Being insulted by Cracked is a bit like being insulted by articles appearing in The Onion. Offense is understandable if one doesn't know that either is satire and not meant as real journalism. To be honest, I think we got off rather easy (heaven knows how far I'd have taken it had I been the author)!
Corroded Alloy
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

JacobTheunissen
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 07:31:09 pm »

I always start getting annoyed about people who, with a vague and inaccurate idea about a thing and with no time or inclination to find out what it's really about, regard it with contempt and derision.  But I behave in a similar way when it comes to things like professional football and the people who love it so much.

Also I didn't notice that it came from Cracked. Knowing that, the mockery now seems mild compared to what they could have done.

Small though it is, the human brain can be quite effective when used properly.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 11:25:21 pm »

Some people will poke the fun at anything  Shocked

Maintaining a Steamier Side to Your Life { while under duress & oppression}

http://enginaire.blogspot.co.nz/2014/11/maintaining-steamier-side-to-your-life.html
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 01:58:55 am »

I am envious of the room in the 6th picture down: 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does anyone know anything about this accoutrement (23rd down)?: 

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 02:17:33 am »

I am envious of the room in the 6th picture down: 

Does anyone know anything about this accoutrement (23rd down)?: 

A clock radio by the looks . It is a classic piece.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 02:20:47 am »

Dang; I was hoping it was a functional phone, as well...

Anyone know if this item is still manufactured/offered for sale anywhere, perhaps some specialty shop?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 02:40:15 am »

Dang; I was hoping it was a functional phone, as well...

Anyone know if this item is still manufactured/offered for sale anywhere, perhaps some specialty shop?

A quick google  uncovered them at Amazon. $49.99

http://www.geekalerts.com/us-basic-amfm-retro-clock-radio-phone/
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 02:48:17 am »

Well, now I'm officially salivating...too bad I'm about to have to shell out for new tires.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 03:29:28 am »

Just in case anyone wants to come along:  https://www.facebook.com/events/706168946102687/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLXTVM-XNZw 

-Karl
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 01:40:09 am »

http://steampunkcruise.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: