The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 09:01:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: In which would you rather live ?
UTOPIA - 4 (66.7%)
DYSTOPIA - 2 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where would you prefer to inhabit : Dystopia or Utopia ?  (Read 1533 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 07:52:55 pm »

The converse to my last comment is that in a Dystopia there is the opportunity to derive pleasure from any small act of resistance / defiance which improves your lot.

There are countless examples of this from the the names children give teachers out of earshot to the small 'victories' achieved by prisoners. It doesn't have to be full blown open rebellion (which is likely to bring a harsh response) but can be as simple as complying with orders in a way that gives you control of the situation. A prisoner who returns to their cell before they are told to and shuts the door isn't being locked up by the guard but is choosing when their door is shut. So who is then in control?

And as the old saying goes 'necessity is the mother of invention' which would make a dystopia more attractive to many Steampunks given our creativity. If prisoners of war can secretly build a glider what would steampunks create in a dystopia?

You have expressed my thoughts.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 08:16:18 pm »

I think that means he owes you 2 cents.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 12:43:45 am »

To roughly paraphrase comic Dave Allen:

"They say that in Hell, you suffer unspeakable torment for all Eternity, while in Heaven you sit around on a cloud playing the harp…
…Which for me would be Hell, as I can't stand heights or harp music."

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
thezombiekat
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 02:46:11 pm »

If utopia is an ideal world then obviously I would want to live there. There would be ample free time. I would have the resources to make and a functional community of makers to share ideas with.

There would always be a convention (science fiction, steam punk, maker) available and the schedules would never clash. There would be interesting and varied architecture for these to be held in.

There would be a wide variety of people of diverse interests in the world but they would all be accepting of other peoples interests.

For gaming purposes we would be free to conceive of dystopias to play in.

After all if these things where not true, it would not be an ideal world.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Edwardian summer

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 12:57:38 am »

This is a fascinating topic.  Eutopia sounds like an optimistic word; Utopia has traditionally been a failed experiment sociologically.  But walking away from Omelos would be my answer.  And doing no harm.  That principle would cover pretty much everything, except what to do about those who DID do harm.  Then you would have exile, then Dystopia would arise outside the gates, and then human nature would polarize once again.  Probably freedom and self-determination and being left more or less alone, as Prof.Marvel has it, would work best for people of different ideals.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 05:32:05 am »

This is a fascinating topic.  Eutopia sounds like an optimistic word; Utopia has traditionally been a failed experiment sociologically.  But walking away from Omelos would be my answer.  And doing no harm.  That principle would cover pretty much everything, except what to do about those who DID do harm.  Then you would have exile, then Dystopia would arise outside the gates, and then human nature would polarize once again.  Probably freedom and self-determination and being left more or less alone, as Prof.Marvel has it, would work best for people of different ideals.

Yes one form of society will eventually evolve or devolve into the other. Nothing is with out a shadow dependent on the light  that is shone on it
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: