The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 01:37:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For the Ladies {possibly some Gents} Steampunk Make Up. Do You Do the Do?  (Read 693 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: January 25, 2015, 03:13:11 am »

Dear Ladies of the Board

Do you of a daily habit or   just for special occasion , complete your look  with a vintage style  cosmetic application ?

Do you flaunt the Burlesque,Carnival ,  Pin Up , Flapper ,  Victorian  or Post Apocalyptic style to the world at large ?

How often do you go the full monty ?

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:17:47 am »

Usually I will go for a more toned down natural version of the 40's pin up look. Occasional I indulge in the deeper burlesque style.

Though some might say in my younger years I may have tended towards an inadvertent post apocalyptic  look
pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 04:54:11 am »

Not that I'm an expert, but wasn't some of the makeup back then toxic? Still, I'm sure enormous strides have been made in the formulation...Wink

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 04:57:45 am »

Not that I'm an expert, but wasn't some of the makeup back then toxic? Still, I'm sure enormous strides have been made in the formulation...Wink

Meh! What's a little toxicity when you want to achieve a perfect state of beauty?  Grin

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 05:58:02 am »

Some cosmetics are still toxic, maybe most of them on some level. Lead helps hold the pigment.

We suffer for our fashion as "fashion victims"
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 12:36:10 pm »

Some cosmetics are still toxic, maybe most of them on some level. Lead helps hold the pigment.

My goodness, I didn't know of the continued presence of lead in makeup (particularly, it seems, lipstick),  possibly becuase it is completely banned in the EU. Doing a quick search it seems you also need to be careful where you buy your skin cream; some countries allow this to manufactured to inbclude mercury! At least nobody still seems to be including radium...

In respect to the original queston, for steampunk I tend to go with brown, muted red or purple hues to match the colour of the clothing, along with brown eyeliner and mascara to give a slightly softer look. For a more gothic visage the lines will be much sharper, with more grey and, of course, black in the pallette. Burlesque something between the two. I do love the 40s/50s sytle; very sharp lines with vibrant coloured full lips but with a level of restraint so as to be 'galmourous' rather than, say, 'vampish'.

Severn Valley Railway 40s event from a few years ago:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:48:06 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:16:49 pm »

My goodness, I didn't know of the continued presence of lead in makeup (particularly, it seems, lipstick),  possibly becuase it is completely banned in the EU. Doing a quick search it seems you also need to be careful where you buy your skin cream; some countries allow this to manufactured to inbclude mercury! At least nobody still seems to be including radium...

In respect to the original queston, for steampunk I tend to go with brown, muted red or purple hues to match the colour of the clothing, along with brown eyeliner and mascara to give a slightly softer look. For a more gothic visage the lines will be much sharper, with more grey and, of course, black in the pallette. Burlesque something between the two. I do love the 40s/50s sytle; very sharp lines with vibrant coloured full lips but with a level of restraint so as to be 'galmourous' rather than, say, 'vampish'.

Severn Valley Railway 40s event from a few years ago:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yours,
Miranda.

You have struck just the right balance  with the tasteful day  time look.  I am admiring the  titian hair colouring Dear Miranda.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 09:05:15 am »

This is a very interesting question.  Since ladies were not supposed to wear makeup in Victorian and Edwardian times, they looked a certain way and did certain things which we know about; indigo under the eyes, matchstick soot  mascara, cochineal rubbed in the lips and cheeks, talc for an interesting pallor.  To get a modern Steampunk effect like an old cabinet  photograph, or indeed any retro adaptation, adjustments have to be made for the impressions left by photographic shortcomings of the time from which we get our images, and the crudity of the cosmetic products available.  

I too naturally tend toward the post-apocalyptic, especially after a cloudburst.
This is supposed to be Sarah Bernhardt, but I think she had more of a nose.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:11:06 am by Arabella Periscope » Logged

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 05:35:57 pm »

This is a very interesting question.  Since ladies were not supposed to wear makeup in Victorian and Edwardian times, they looked a certain way and did certain things which we know about; indigo under the eyes, matchstick soot  mascara, cochineal rubbed in the lips and cheeks, talc for an interesting pallor.  To get a modern Steampunk effect like an old cabinet  photograph, or indeed any retro adaptation, adjustments have to be made for the impressions left by photographic shortcomings of the time from which we get our images, and the crudity of the cosmetic products available.  

I too naturally tend toward the post-apocalyptic, especially after a cloudburst.
This is supposed to be Sarah Bernhardt, but I think she had more of a nose.

Dear Miss Periscope , I am sure you are a good woman of modesty and do not resort to such artifices.

That though is a very interesting image  on many levels - even if not Miss Bernhardt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: