The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 03:31:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Conservatory or Green House - Your Personal Dream Jungle  (Read 3832 times)
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2015, 06:29:10 pm »

You can start your urban green houses today even on a small scale like this.

Bottle Garden Part2
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2015, 10:44:21 pm »

Vertical walls. There are some amazing vertical walls, from the small corner to the  full several stories of  sheer vertical jungle.

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Edwardian summer

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2015, 11:22:01 pm »

I think I will have an elaborate moss garden among the waterways of my stained-glass enclosed giant forest.  It does not serve for food, but it is very nice underfoot and there are many useful varieties to take the place of packing and upholstering/cushioning materials in a green society.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2015, 12:38:48 am »

Those are some beautiful buildings with their gardens. I've an idea for a food supply in a castle. Butt banks of earth against the castle wall like a terrace, grow veggies just inside, and the earthen bank gives the wall some extra defensive strength.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2015, 01:10:05 am »

This thread is very comforting.

One of my favourite places as a child was the glasshouse in my local park. Unfortunately it was demolished about 15 years ago because the structure was too unstable and money could not be found for repair. The paved paths, footings for raised beds, empty fish pool and 2 large palm trees remain. Sometimes I like to wander in this ghost of the glasshouse and remember the rich sharp smell of the leaves and the gentle sound of trickling water.

I would like to have a greenhouse of my own one day - although I don't have a green thumb. I like herb gardens the best because they seem to do well despite my ineptitude! Perhaps I need to volunteer on an urban farm and learn the error of my ways - I certainly enjoy eating our local urban honey!

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2015, 03:43:00 am »

That moss would make a splendid bed to sleep upon

I think I will have an elaborate moss garden among the waterways of my stained-glass enclosed giant forest.  It does not serve for food, but it is very nice underfoot and there are many useful varieties to take the place of packing and upholstering/cushioning materials in a green society.

That must be lovely refreshing constitutional to walk through. maybe one day they may  have an idea to replace  it. In the mean time does it have guerrilla gardening potential

This thread is very comforting.

One of my favourite places as a child was the glasshouse in my local park. Unfortunately it was demolished about 15 years ago because the structure was too unstable and money could not be found for repair. The paved paths, footings for raised beds, empty fish pool and 2 large palm trees remain. Sometimes I like to wander in this ghost of the glasshouse and remember the rich sharp smell of the leaves and the gentle sound of trickling water.

I would like to have a greenhouse of my own one day - although I don't have a green thumb. I like herb gardens the best because they seem to do well despite my ineptitude! Perhaps I need to volunteer on an urban farm and learn the error of my ways - I certainly enjoy eating our local urban honey!

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2015, 09:18:24 pm »

Sitting in a glasshouse is like sitting in a piece of heaven.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2015, 11:13:56 pm »

Sitting in a glasshouse is like sitting in a piece of heaven.

Unless you happen to be a military person residing in a glasshouse.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2015, 11:53:31 pm »

You're right about that.  Glassed-in buildings can be dire.  Waterloo Station on a very dark day, when the old soot and the wire in the glass seem to be grim and way too industrial.  My old school where there was annex with long skylights reinforced with chicken wire and long coat-racks of wrought iron, and tiled floors with drains.  Icy and institutional.

Our futuristic-Steampunk enormous crystal-domed green habitats would have to have large open places up in the sides to allow for natural airflow and the passage of various craft, and  clear panes to allow for celestial observation  and rays of sun and moonlight.  The vitreous substance would have to be some (StarTrek like) transparent titanium alloy that did not shatter or require reinforcement.  It would be large and fragile-seeming enough that there would never be a hothouse feeling or enclosure; just a pleasant bubble of eco balance and safety.

My sister and I played in a greenhouse too.  The smell was unforgettable.  Not entirely pleasant, but memorable.
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2015, 07:51:19 pm »

MS Periscope: regarding your moss garden; I realize that thyme is not a moss, but there is at least one species that is a very low growing ground cover, and has tiny leaves. It gives off a wonderful aroma when stepped on. I think that the name is, appropriately enough, creeping thyme. There may be other plants of a similar character that might be worth considering. Several herbs emit a pleasing fragrance when brushed against, but would likely too tall for your purposes.The growing of moss is, in most cases rather simple, and the instructions are easy to obtain, thanks to the ever present internet. Good luck on your venture.   

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2015, 02:25:21 am »

Look at this!  Our world of sunlight energy and flourishing self-sustaining greenhouse habitats in the future has taken a great step forward.  This way, the Crystal Palace could have had its own temperature regulation systems, timed watering devices, and all the energy needed to support people without fossil fuel living inside it.

Thank you, Creagmor, for the thought of the miniature thyme.  It sounds like the perfect self-renewing flooring to have underfoot, giving off its own herbal scent as you walk.  I believe bare feet would make it even better, it enough could be planted.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2015, 03:20:33 am »

Look at this!  Our world of sunlight energy and flourishing self-sustaining greenhouse habitats in the future has taken a great step forward.  This way, the Crystal Palace could have had its own temperature regulation systems, timed watering devices, and all the energy needed to support people without fossil fuel living inside it.

Thank you, Creagmor, for the thought of the miniature thyme.  It sounds like the perfect self-renewing flooring to have underfoot, giving off its own herbal scent as you walk.  I believe bare feet would make it even better, it enough could be planted.

Would that not be a wonderful way to live. Surrounded by sunlight and living scenery.

As you posted I was replenishing my pinterest account with more jungle gardens and indoor  greenery.

This eccentric , esoteric   and ephemeral idea came up

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2015, 03:54:54 am »

More shop front conservatories [Asia has some delightful planted shop front gardens]

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2015, 10:03:02 pm »

I prefer this one...a touch of faded grandeur and maybe a small portable chimera stashed away for those long cool summer evenings?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2015, 03:20:41 am »

I prefer this one...a touch of faded grandeur and maybe a small portable chimera stashed away for those long cool summer evenings?

a certain exotic  mystique and decayed opulence

a suitable spot to sip absinthe or  Singapore sling
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2015, 12:31:34 am »

I recently had the privilege to stay in a Moroccan Riad (house with courtyard) on holiday in Essaoiura. Within the old town walls, originally belonging to a merchant, very considerately restored. It was a piece of heaven. Especially the courtyard itself, with 3 palm trees, plunge pool and tortoises!! Now my steampunk garden ideal includes Moroccan tiles - the colours, richness and vibrancy!

All the talk of moss in this thread is making me want to create a moss terrarium - surely even my black thumb can't kill moss? Also get some thyme, it is so fragrant!!
Edmund Charles Rutherford
Gunner

While there's tea, there's hope -Sir Arthur Pinero

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2015, 07:29:30 am »

I am working on designing a home to build some day, sooner rather than later I hope.  While funding it is actually not the problem for me, finding the right place to build it is.  Until such a time as I can find the right location, and the right contractor, it remains a design in progress.

Included in the design is a conservatory.  I have wanted one as part of my home since I was a child.  The idea of a fancy garden/greenhouse as a sitting room, an actual part of the home, has always fascinated me.  And so designs for one ARE included in my plans.  Given that my home plans are NOT for a mansion, lol, but for a more moderate but comfortable domicile, the conservatory will not be large.  But it will allow me to grow several fruit trees, herbs, vegetables, and some of my favorite flowers.  A small water fountain, decorative table and chairs, a stone walk-way throughout, and perhaps a small fish pond or something like that.

Slaínte,

Edmund

Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.
~George Bernard Shaw
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2015, 09:14:28 am »

Those  ideas are inspirational

Moroccan tiles......
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2015, 12:09:43 am »

I recently had the privilege to stay in a Moroccan Riad (house with courtyard) on holiday in Essaoiura. Within the old town walls, originally belonging to a merchant, very considerately restored. It was a piece of heaven. Especially the courtyard itself, with 3 palm trees, plunge pool and tortoises!! Now my steampunk garden ideal includes Moroccan tiles - the colours, richness and vibrancy!

All the talk of moss in this thread is making me want to create a moss terrarium - surely even my black thumb can't kill moss? Also get some thyme, it is so fragrant!!

Did you take any pictures?
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2015, 03:35:17 am »

This could become a garden space, Perhaps...
http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2013/02/hidden-treasures-spectacular-abandoned-stock-exchange-building-antwerp/
Right in the middle there. And some narrow beds on the balconies...

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2015, 03:56:26 am »

This could become a garden space, Perhaps...
http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2013/02/hidden-treasures-spectacular-abandoned-stock-exchange-building-antwerp/
Right in the middle there. And some narrow beds on the balconies...

Imagine trailing plants off the balcony and spans.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2015, 05:37:42 am »

That would be a wonderful green world with solar glass installed.  Sign me up!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2015, 11:49:24 am »

That would be a wonderful green world with solar glass installed.  Sign me up!

You have me intrigued.

How does this solar glass  thingamy jiggy work?
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2015, 06:23:01 pm »

In Wisconsin we have The Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory (The Domes)
http://county.milwaukee.gov/MitchellParkConserva10116.htm

The Milwaukee Steampunk Society has been "invading" the Domes at the "Gardens and Gears" event in February for the last couple of years. It gives people the opportunity to wear their pith helmets in winter. Wink

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: