The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 03:51:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: A poll about your viewing and posting habits
Lurker - rarely posts anything
New Poster - adding lots of new content
Self Poster - posting primarily about yourself
Supporter - rarely starting, but frequently adding in
Multi Poster - starting and adding posts
Other
Helper - gives advice and aids
Planter - starts a topic rolling

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Kind of Member Are YOU  (Read 1428 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« on: January 21, 2015, 03:21:21 am »

After a number of years on Brass Goggles I have come to notice a grouping of poster types.  I tried to summarize the ones that come to mind.  

Lurkers - spend a little or a lot of time on Brass Goggles, but rarely if ever add to the discussion.  Will they even vote in this poll?
New Poster - provides lots of new content for the rest of us to read and follow on a variety of topics.
Self Poster - Some show up once to promote their latest and greatest achievement. Others are here repeatedly, but only to self promote.
Supporter - Adding in to others posts.
Multi Poster - Adds new posts. These may be posts of their own work or posts of interesting things found elsewhere. Frequently adds to others posts
Other - I sure I am missing some category.
Helper - someone who mainly adds comments giving help, tips, advice and encouragement.
Planter - someone who starts threads then sits back and lets them develop having planted the idea.

Please take a little time and give it a little thought.  What kind of poster are you?  Thanks for your input.
Two categories have been added.  You should be able to change a vote already cast.  I have limited it to a single choice, but I realize our roles may change with time.

Thanks again for participating.  Looking forward to more input and votes.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:13:05 pm by Maets » Logged

SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 06:37:54 am »

I must confess to being pretty much a lurker these days.

Shall endevour to contribute more in the future.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:55:26 am »

Back in 2009-10 when I first started posting, I was accused of being a "Self Poster" (which in my mind is more descriptive if you call it "Self Promoter," by way of posting my Steampunk constructs, which I sold online.  So I stopped bringing any discussion of my Steampunk business into the forum and I treated the space exclusively on a social level, posting on cultural, historical, and artistic matters.  I think after 2010 I became by definition a Multi Poster and also a Supporter - after all I have started a fair number of threads.

However, "Self Poster" or "Self Promoter" is not a nice description to peg onto yourself or others.  It implies you only care about your own interests and are taking advantage of the forum somehow.  So, the question is how are you going to get the "Self Promoters" to admit they are doing it out of sheer self interest?  That's almost like self incrimination.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:00:09 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

What Watt ?!

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:22:55 am »

As with many things in life my time on this board waxes and wanes in a somewhat cyclical fashion.
I consider myself an intermittent or burst poster where 'time between' and 'duration of' bursts can vary Smiley

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Augustus Longeye
Daedric Prince of Biscuits
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 12:53:40 pm »

Fairly lurky, excepting the Minecraft thread which I don't count.

Quote from: Sir Nikolas
I say you, chaps down there! Piss off, see? Haa ha! Love, Space Longeye <3
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 01:57:13 pm »

I'd probably class as Other,

Most of my posts are on threads started by other people but I from time to time start my own ones if I can't find something appropriate.

Suggested categories of Member under 'other' could include
'Helper'...someone who mainly adds comments giving help, tips, advice and encouragement.
'Planter'...someone who starts threads then sits back and lets them develop having planted the idea.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:18:08 pm »

I made the additions as suggested.  Thanks. 

I would say that a "Helper" is a form of "Supporter" and a "Planter is a form of "New Poster", but I like the difference enough to include them.

Before I made the additions I had the option to remove my vote, thus I could change my vote.  After editing the poll I see that is no longer available.  If so, it is not me, but a "feature" of the poll editing.  Perhaps a mod can make sure people can change their vote, if a new category is more appropriate.

Thanks
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 03:08:52 pm »

I would hope to be more of a Helper, but so many folks on here know so much more that I really can't claim that.  Adding amusement value may be my best contribution!

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 03:46:11 pm »

I have put down self poster because I don't just like inflicting the objects, and pictures I make on you all, but also like to force parts of my thinking on you as well. I love any sort of contribution, I am happy to dance with anybody, and happy to let them reveal as little or as much of themselves as they like. It is all interesting or even beguiling.

"I’d like to thank all of you for watching me and my little show here tonight. If you’ve enjoyed it, then it’s all been worthwhile. So, until we meet again, good night, and I love you all!"

pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 06:18:13 pm »

after all these years, I'm still learning about SP, so there's a few 'me too's' as well as a 'I wonder abouts'...
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 08:56:11 pm »

Not sure about a classification. I try and check in most days to see what's new and check all the new posts. Many threads simply don't interest me enough to bother posting. I often don't feel I have anything to add anyway. I'm still mostly an habitue of the Tactile section. Yes I'm a self poster if I made something new because I'm sure there are folks like me who like to see it, and they'll tell you what they think about it. Improvements if they see fit.
Apart from that I use the Geographical section to keep in touch.

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 04:14:03 am »

Please keep those votes coming in!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 08:12:39 am »

I like to have a little fun, start up a discussion or add to one.

I like being inspired by others' ideas and dreams. I relish when a topic goes off on a tangent and explores another  side road.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 04:12:48 am »

I'm pretty much a lurker at the moment - too busy playing 'wack-a-mole' with the spammers. Roll Eyes
However, usually I try to keep the pace up when the forum is a little quiet by starting new topics. The rest of the time I try to participate in threads whenever I have something worth saying.

I try not to post about my project stuff though, I take too long to complete them (or sometimes don't...) which makes for boring and / or dead threads. Having said that, I will be reviving a thread or two of mine shortly...

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 05:45:17 am »

I think that everybody in their own way is a contributor.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 08:47:09 am »

I like to think of myself as an outstanding member - with a bad habit of double-entendres... Wink

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 09:24:36 am »

I like to think of myself as an outstanding member - with a bad habit of double-entendres... Wink

And I like thinking of myself as a double entendre - with a bad habit of outstanding membership!
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 07:01:47 pm »

Only twenty five votes so far.  Obviously, the pure self promoters won't chime in.  How about the rest of you?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 07:17:24 pm »

Honestly, I don't think any of the above quite suit me.  If something interests me I'll post, if not then I'll stay quiet- I have a number of threads I regularly contribute to but one of those is one I started in Off-Topic (though to be pedantic I don't think that counts).   

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
W. S. Marble
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 09:56:35 pm »

4 days 20 hours and 6 minutes....achieved almost entirely in daily ten minute intervals.  I mostly enjoy viewing the comments and maker-type accomplishments that the rest of you clever folks continually come up with.  And you are such a polite, witty bunch as well!
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 10:06:09 pm »

General Statistics - Sludge Van Diesel

Total Time Spent Online:    8 days, 2 hours and 53 minutes.
Total Posts:    437 posts
Total Topics Started:    30 topics

I'd say that was fairly middling

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 10:31:42 pm »

Total Time Spent Online: 62 days, 18 hours and 17 minutes.
Total Posts: 4049 posts
Total Topics Started: 64 topics
Number of Polls Created: 0 polls
Number of Votes Cast: 52 votes

So, that makes me 'Other', right?

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 11:38:29 pm »

All of the above?

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 11:53:20 pm »

Only twenty five votes so far.  Obviously, the pure self promoters won't chime in.  How about the rest of you?

I could be accused of being a shameless self promoter   Kiss - but I do not put my projects up on here.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 12:14:58 am »

All of the above?

Very good.  Over time that is what we all should be. 

Just wanted to stir up a little thought about how "you" use Brass Goggles.  Thanks for the input.  Please keep it coming.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: