The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:06:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I've got a character, but no story!  (Read 623 times)
Stormcat
Officer
United States United States

Sir Whiskers, Lord High Mouser and Royal lapwarmer

« on: January 19, 2015, 02:33:04 am »

I created Victor Highcastle for my sims game. I ended up liking him so much I want to write a real-life story about him, with no mention of the sims at all! Basically, He's a young wizard in Victorian London. He's still learning magic, but he tries to reconcile magic with new technology, much to the distain of elder wizards and witches.

He would fit perfectly in with a steampunk theme, but I have no idea what sort of story he should be in! An adventure tale where he travels to far-off lands? a Coming-of-age tale? a time-displaced hogworts fanfic? I need some feedback!

pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:20:41 pm »

why not all of the above? The classic approach is to chase your characters up a tree, and throw rocks at them...or murder your darlings...just need to find a 'problem' and fix it.

Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 06:33:46 pm »

why not all of the above? The classic approach is to chase your characters up a tree, and throw rocks at them...or murder your darlings...just need to find a 'problem' and fix it.

this is precisely what I'm looking for. All I can come up with is his magic backfires on him in hilarious ways. I need an arc.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:06:14 pm »

Short story on trying to reconcile magic theory with scientific theory and discovering how often Murphy's law affects them both. Featuring a series of mishaps that interfere with presenting a paper coherently at a meeting of  The Grand Order Of Wizards and at a meeting of The Modern Science Society, both on the same day and in different locations.

You decide:-
How much background to include.
If the names I've offered for the two groups could be given more style
What the paper is about.
His friends and enemies in each group.
What is Murphy's Law and what is actual sabotage.
How he copes with each new problem.

Is this enough of a start for you?

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 10:21:39 pm »

Or Victor Von highcastle could come and join is evil doers and see how his character grows.
I take it that he doesn't suffer from the temperamental ebb and flow of the magical currents as they flow around his dimension.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 04:35:28 am »

Short story on trying to reconcile magic theory with scientific theory and discovering how often Murphy's law affects them both. Featuring a series of mishaps that interfere with presenting a paper coherently at a meeting of  The Grand Order Of Wizards and at a meeting of The Modern Science Society, both on the same day and in different locations.

You decide:-
How much background to include.
If the names I've offered for the two groups could be given more style
What the paper is about.
His friends and enemies in each group.
What is Murphy's Law and what is actual sabotage.
How he copes with each new problem.

Is this enough of a start for you?

A short story sounds like a good way to discover his world and how he functions in it.  If it works well you can build a longer story around him after that first foray.
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 03:58:00 pm »

What I did when figuring out Anna Dearling was going back in to her past and fleshing out the big betrayal that made her in to a villain.  I am writing it like it is fragments of a diary so if I get stuck in any one part I can skip ahead to something that is easer to get in to.  I have found it has realy helped me get in to Anna's head and write as her on the fly.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 05:18:28 am »

this is precisely what I'm looking for. All I can come up with is his magic backfires on him in hilarious ways. I need an arc.

Start as a neophyte not sure of how to handle magic. First attempts go pear-shaped, much hilarity ensues. As he learns about magic, the magic changes him, he learns about himself, growing more confident...something like that?

Sorry, not meaning to sound like Ender Wiggins, but it's a tried and true arc...
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 09:28:59 pm »

A little education for the un educated.
Magic has a willow its own, it chooses how it will work and for who.
Crystals can be used to control and negate some of this wilful ness and in some cases can be used to enhance its power. The exact crystal combinations are different for each person but some crystals have set effects.
A base crystal should be of syncronisation with the user and is normally their birthstone (More can be found out about this using this new fangled google AI)
Devices can be constructed using crystals and other items (Handwavium and obscurium are two prominent alloys) and can make these powers more controllable but at a cost. This cost is normally that such a devices can only do one thing but one thing very powerful.

----- From the referance book of Handwavium, Obscurium and Gesticulium!
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 10:36:29 pm »

A little education for the un educated.
Magic has a willow its own, it chooses how it will work and for who.
Crystals can be used to control and negate some of this wilful ness and in some cases can be used to enhance its power. The exact crystal combinations are different for each person but some crystals have set effects.
A base crystal should be of syncronisation with the user and is normally their birthstone (More can be found out about this using this new fangled google AI)
Devices can be constructed using crystals and other items (Handwavium and obscurium are two prominent alloys) and can make these powers more controllable but at a cost. This cost is normally that such a devices can only do one thing but one thing very powerful.

----- From the referance book of Handwavium, Obscurium and Gesticulium!

I actually have a unique idea of how the magic will work. Here's a snippet from my (short) list of ideas:

Magic also does not work like Harry Potter. You don’t need a wand to use it, it comes directly out of your hands. You don’t have to say magic words either, just think about what you want to do. You’re supposed to keep it a secret, and repeat offenders are usually have their powers stripped from them. You aren’t born with the powers, you earn them. The Covens are a loose confederacy so there’s really no say in who gets magic and who doesn’t. You must be at least eighteen to get magic. Families tend to pass on their magic, Victor inherited his from his late father and mother. You also need to learn how to use magic, so the Covens all offer year-long “courses”. There is a measurable, finite amount of magic abilities, which is why not everyone can have them. Magic is measured in “sparks”. One spark is plenty of magic for one person, and you aren’t allowed any more than that. The magic sparks can be contained in special jars and when not in a person they look like ball lightning. If magic is not removed from a person before they die, they become ghosts.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 09:24:58 pm »

That just goes to show that my proposed theory on the dimensional content of magical energies was correct (curse you stupid smart people!)
I once proposed (based on the lack of energy flowing in my world) that magic levels differ from world to world, some have almost none (my world) and have to resort to artificial devices that produce magical effects while some (my adopted world) have so much that it causes adverse global weather conditions.

Come on over and join us villains, we have more fun and there is cake!
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 06:24:18 am »

That just goes to show that my proposed theory on the dimensional content of magical energies was correct (curse you stupid smart people!)
I once proposed (based on the lack of energy flowing in my world) that magic levels differ from world to world, some have almost none (my world) and have to resort to artificial devices that produce magical effects while some (my adopted world) have so much that it causes adverse global weather conditions.

No thanks, but Mr. Highcastle is looking for an adversary. Are you available?
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 09:07:40 am »

No thanks, but Mr. Highcastle is looking for an adversary. Are you available?

I'll check my diary but I thing I could fit you in.
Stormcat
Officer

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 03:50:21 am »

Okay, Now I need help in making my villains and therefore conflict. I'd like them to also be magic peoples, but I guess Luddites and opium lords are fair game. I only have one idea for a villain so far:

A Caribbean or African (I haven't decided which yet) shaman lady who seeks to destroy "Imperial scum" with her magic.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 08:44:44 am »

Make her an occasional ally so he's worked with her and against her.  From your description, your hero may see some imperial wizards and some of the scientists as a disgrace to The Empire.

You need some criminally irresponsible people from both the scientific and wizardly communities people who despise his work and have the power and influence to get in his way.  How about these to start with.

Lord Rich Privilege Dinosaur (placeholder name) for whom the lower classes, lesser faiths, people without magical talent and Wizards who did not go to his school/college and of course women don't count.  You have to be one of the right people old families, manly men into his favourite sports "No queers here." Women are not meant to think just to be beautiful and useful to look after the men and provide an heir.  Lower classes "Should know their place."

Professor It's For Science (placeholder name) for whom the science is all and injuries and deaths aren't important compared to The Great Scientific Work.  Totally brilliant but with no understanding of or interest in people who aren't working in his field. He prides himself on being egalitarian but if you do not understand His specialty (probably Physics) you are not intelligent enough to count as human.  The Great Scientific Work is all.

Lady Frail Delicate Unscrupulous(placeholder name) a woman who continually defines herself as the weaker sex, talks a lot about The Flowers of British womanhood and Daughters of The Empire.  Dotes on her son, treats her daughter as a mini me with no thoughts or feelings of her own.  Ruthlessly ambitious on behalf of her husband and son. Is the daughter of a highly placed wizard and says that Ladies don't practice magic.  In fact she has and uses great magical talent in an underhand manner to push forward her rather ineffectual men.  She believes her husband should be prime minister and her son should  marry Royalty.  What she'll do to get them there is extremely dangerous.

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 09:06:44 am »

Look to the Spanish inquisition for the evil side especially Mr black robe Assasin who blindly follows the words of his masters but loves to kill.

Gray wolf loves to cameo (my not so human side) but remember as a vague sort of magic user we tend to pop in and out through magic portals that appear at specific key line points.
An Alley or enemy depends on what mode he is in.
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 11:49:42 am »

How about Lord or Lady I am dragging you unenlightened apes in to the future now damn it.  They would be a social reformer that wants to right a wrong so bad that they don't care much how it happens.  Most likely won't kill people unless pushed but will brake every other law and do some realy underhanded things. Want votes for women? If a politician gets in your way feel free to use mind control or perhaps turn them in to a woman until it is no longer an issue. Problems with child labour? How about the machines trying to eat the bosses until they see the light, who cares if they loose a few fingers it is for the children's safety after all.  Problems with unwholesome food additives? Some food that fights back will fix that right up and possibly maim some people. Could both help and hinder the hero or cause background chaos that gives them trouble.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 01:00:21 pm »

How about Lord or Lady I am dragging you unenlightened apes in to the future now damn it.  They would be a social reformer that wants to right a wrong so bad that they don't care much how it happens.  Most likely won't kill people unless pushed but will brake every other law and do some realy underhanded things. Want votes for women? If a politician gets in your way feel free to use mind control or perhaps turn them in to a woman until it is no longer an issue. Problems with child labour? How about the machines trying to eat the bosses until they see the light, who cares if they loose a few fingers it is for the children's safety after all.  Problems with unwholesome food additives? Some food that fights back will fix that right up and possibly maim some people. Could both help and hinder the hero or cause background chaos that gives them trouble.

Dear Lady, are you trying to find cheep labour to solve you current "crop" of issues?
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 08:41:49 pm »

No just not wanting them to be hindered by the same walls I was.  I had to take the hard way most of the time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: