The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 06:54:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: What events will trigger the Apocalypse
Biblical - 6 (5.3%)
Climatic - 8 (7.1%)
Man Made - 21 (18.6%)
Volcanic Winter - 6 (5.3%)
Flood - 0 (0%)
Plague - 10 (8.8%)
War - 13 (11.5%)
Pestilence - 6 (5.3%)
Famine - 7 (6.2%)
Drought - 3 (2.7%)
Earthquakes - 3 (2.7%)
Polar Ice Melt - 5 (4.4%)
Storms - 1 (0.9%)
Asteroid/ Meteor - 9 (8%)
Pollution - 9 (8%)
Other: - 6 (5.3%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What will trigger the APOCALYPSE & How will the world be for Survivors?  (Read 2079 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 05:46:17 pm »

Just find this miraculously a propos Cracked.com article for the ''how will the world be for survivors'':
http://www.cracked.com/article_22072_6-things-you-learn-in-town-prepared-apocalypse.html

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2015, 06:10:35 pm »

A deep aether Star Kraken will devour the sun.  Wink

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 06:32:32 pm »

Just find this miraculously a propos Cracked.com article for the ''how will the world be for survivors'':
http://www.cracked.com/article_22072_6-things-you-learn-in-town-prepared-apocalypse.html

Its an interesting little pre apocalyptic towntown
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 10:10:08 am »

What will trigger the APOCALYPSE

That would be my little red button under the locked thingy :

& How will the world be for Survivors?
It depends on how well they pay me....

yhs
prof (maniacal ) marvel

Good heavens No!!!!
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2015, 06:44:22 am »

It will take a catastrophe like:  http://www.thesteampunkempire.com/forum/topics/carrington-event  but it will be worsened by a combination of human elements. 

Life for the survivors will be hard at least at first. 

-Karl
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 09:43:46 am »

What will trigger the APOCALYPSE

That would be my little red button under the locked thingy :

& How will the world be for Survivors?
It depends on how well they pay me....

yhs
prof (maniacal ) marvel

Good heavens No!!!!

Ahh My Dear Annie -
is this not the very definition of a "mad scientist?"
fortunately I am only "mildly annoyed"

yhs
prof (miffed) marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 08:01:35 pm »

Professor Marvel, until such time we  invent a sonar ray to knock out the ignition device under  your red button thingy,  we shall all ensure your mood is returned to bouyant
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 09:01:12 pm »

I see all the doomsday preppers heading for their bunkers in Montana, just in time to be buried under 10 feet of volcanic ash from Yellowstone caldera blowing its top.

the rest of us will use our snow shovels to keep the roof clear, eat our weaker neighbors, and complain about poor satellite reception. parking will be an absolute nightmare.

c'est la vie
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 10:53:56 pm »

Purloined from the local rag

The 12 most likely causes of the Apocalypse
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11402345
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 11:01:04 pm »

New probable cause of the Apocalypse; overpopulation by baby boom from blizzard plus release of "Fifty Shades of Grey."

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2015, 01:42:51 am »

Oh dear me no! That would be the worst possible end to human civilization.

I once did a module at uni called 'Natural Geological Hazards' and have since been very prone to thinking it'll be a combination of the Yellowstone supercaldera blowing, a tsunami from the collapse of the canary isles into the sea and something dreadful happening in the ring of fire.

I also plan for zombies though - because it seems like a nice straightforward one to survive!

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2015, 01:43:04 pm »

I have always fancied that the end of the world will be when some enormous boiler, heated to three thousand millions of atmospheric pressure, shall explode and blow up the globe. ... They [the Americans] are great boilermakers.

— Jules Verne

Five Weeks in a Balloon (1863, 1962),

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
A goldfish.
Deck Hand

Real friends give their friends eels.

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 10:38:01 pm »

Zombies are part of the Biblical option. The dead are meant to rise from their grave when the apocalypse happens and Jesus returns.

Not really; they will rise, but quite alive, not undead. Smiley

I vote Biblical. I believe the Bible to be true.

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

- Romans 8:35-37
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 02:05:08 am »

I vote Biblical. I believe the Bible to be true.

In that case, I vote Greater London Area Telephone Directory - I believe the contents of that book are true, unless they are unlisted numbers...(perhaps, UNDEAD NUMBERS!). J/K!  Wink

I vote man-made + war + plague.

For a true "end of world" it would have to be a long and drawn out event. Something that would last so long as to cripple the world economies, leading to mass fighting for food / water and supplies, which in turn will lead to large scale death of the human population. This will cause a lack of knowledge and skills required to return to civilization, as we have allready depleted the worlds readily available natural resources enough that it would be near impossible for the unskilled to retrieve the remaining supplies. At least on a large production scale that is.

Certain exceptions to that do remain, but it would be impossible to return the world to it's current technological state, at large.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 03:25:41 am »

The eruption of Yellowstone would likely be enough for that. Look at what happened in 1816, due to a comparatively minor volcanic eruption. If Yellowstone goes, you could end up with fimbul winter.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 10:27:21 am »

Clearly there are many ways to "end Earth."  But I'm reluctant to discuss which will happen first.  Every time I ponder on it there is a new danger lurking. At least on TV it seems we are constantly coming up with new ways of ending Earth  Roll Eyes

Personally I think it will be reality TV shows, which will trigger a slow extinction by way of brain de-evolution.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:28:58 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 11:52:11 pm »

If you need a few more reasons to be scared, you could have a look at the book Death From the Skies by the (bad) astronomer Phil Plaitt. It describes the different scenarios that could kill us all off, such as nearby supernovas and asteroid strikes.
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 08:49:50 pm »

As far as rebuilding goes... those mined out elements haven't been consumed. They're still around, just in more accessible deposits, currently known as towns. Even after a few centuries, they're going to be high grade ore, and some pure metal might still be around to use. As for computers, it would be back to handmade transistors. Maybe a basic, text-only internet could be set up. This is an example of what one could do. Perhaps we could build a machine, using printing or photo-lithography, that would produce computer CPUs that are more powerful (though still significantly worse than a modern smartphone) without having to piece them together by hand? Heck, the MT15 would be a plus if we could automate its production.

The biggest issue would probably be power, but solar concentrators are simple to build. As are Sabatier reactors, so a desert countries might still be major power producers - water is piped in, used with captured CO2 to produce methane and other hydrocarbons, and hydrocarbons are piped out. Alternately, hydropower could be used, leading to a situation in which the biggest oil producing countries are... Saudi Arabia and Norway. It might also make sense to use the Bosch reaction to produce carbon for steelmaking. Though in both cases, you still need a large supply of CO2. Maybe Limestone could be used to provide that, if the atmosphere is insufficient?

Now, for survival, I think it's best to have a house (fully paid for) that's off the grid and maintain a deep larder (at least 3 years worth), supplemented by a decent garden. With solar getting cheaper and cheaper, that's becoming easier. Other things to add are a fallout shelter (perhaps doubling as a saferoom in case you can't fight off the bandits?), a suitably high wall (for the zombies), and of course a Faraday cage. But with the first things, you should be able to thrive in an economic depression (see: John Robb, HomeFree America). With 3 years food stored, you should have enough breathing space to figure out what to do next. Add in a large library, naturally, so you have the knowledge you need to rebuild.

If people actually planned for the apocalypse (see: Switzerland), I think we'd be able to make it through with most of the population still alive, though mortality rates would be significantly increased. Still, the standard of living shouldn't drop *too* precipitously (see: Kerala miracle). If they don't plan, though, then they're going to be rued by those who did, if they survive.

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 10:31:16 pm »

Dear Space Pilot,

It is clear to me that the survivor will be you!  You Rule!!!

Your obedient but completely useless subject,

Arabella
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2015, 04:52:46 pm »

'APOCALYPSE' is just another word for 'REVELATION'.
Nothing bad about that at all (don't you hate it when I get pedantic about what words mean)?

We will trigger the revelation that Steamunk is great and the world will be steamy for the survivors.
Now everyone sing...'always look on the bright side of life....'
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2015, 10:43:51 pm »

Pretty sure the OPer meant the common use modern definition of APOCALYPSE, but a steamy afterworld doesn't sound bad at all. With our combined knowledge of historic tech, we'll shape the new world as we wish.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2015, 11:17:41 pm »

I could go with either of those scenario

I hadn't put thought to a religious or spiritual enlightenment  to  Steampunk

A steampunk Valhalla after a  Ragnarök.  A Rabbinical Resurrection in  the Olam Haba and Shamayim. A Buddhist Karmic reincarnation from the Samsara

they all have possibilities
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2015, 11:24:31 pm »

The Kraken is in the Bible  [ cue an electrical storm above my home]

This may upset some of my readers, but facts are facts and truth is truth.

JONAH 1: 17; “Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish, three days, and three nights.”

According to Hebrew recording of time, one day, was from sunset to sunset, thus a day would appear to be similar to one day in time as measured by the Jewish people of today too, a 24 hour day, or there about. I say there about because the timing of the sunset would vary slightly depending upon the time of year, spring, summer, fall, or winter.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2015, 10:33:35 pm »

Purloined from the local rag

The 12 most likely causes of the Apocalypse
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11402345

That's what the Herald gets for borrowing from the Daily Mail.  Some of those "causes" aren't even "very bad things".  They are nasty enough, and lead to some possibly unpleasant social effects, but "Bad Local Governance"?  "Failure to eradicate poverty?"  There have always been poor people; for most of us, those locals who are considered "poor" are anything but - on a global scale - and, when considered historically, they are rich beyond the wildest dreams of kings from just a few centuries ago.

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: