The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 09:54:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: What events will trigger the Apocalypse
Biblical - 6 (5.3%)
Climatic - 8 (7.1%)
Man Made - 21 (18.6%)
Volcanic Winter - 6 (5.3%)
Flood - 0 (0%)
Plague - 10 (8.8%)
War - 13 (11.5%)
Pestilence - 6 (5.3%)
Famine - 7 (6.2%)
Drought - 3 (2.7%)
Earthquakes - 3 (2.7%)
Polar Ice Melt - 5 (4.4%)
Storms - 1 (0.9%)
Asteroid/ Meteor - 9 (8%)
Pollution - 9 (8%)
Other: - 6 (5.3%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What will trigger the APOCALYPSE & How will the world be for Survivors?  (Read 2163 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: January 17, 2015, 02:39:32 am »

Living  in the more active sector of   Pacific ring of Fire , I will vote for a volcanic winter in which  the Earth is blanketed by ash clouds over its surface  centred in the Pacific  region.  There will be eruptions from  at least 2 large under water/ island  volcanoes This will also trigger seismic action of a large magnitude and tsunami that will affect all the Pacific region. There will be no sunlight for  approx  6 months.  There will be acid rain.

The world will undergo climate drop, crops will die, there will be animal extinction. Starvation, illness, social upheaval will result. The population will drop below 1%.

People will find sanctuary underground , inside mountains, bio sphere and other temperature regulated/ climate controlled habitat.
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 02:54:51 am »

Man Made - What we do to ourselves is the most dangerous.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 03:15:01 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_winter

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/volcano/could-we-survive-a-super-volcano/

http://www.livescience.com/200-super-volcano-challenge-civilization-geologists-warn.html

http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/volcanoes/before.asp

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 03:16:01 am »

Man Made - What we do to ourselves is the most dangerous.

That is true - or how we deal with natural disaster and "acts of God"
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 03:42:52 am »

I think it may be a 'prefect storm' of things that results in the collapse of human society. Say viruses in one region (man made even), war in others, plus some natural events (volcanoes, earthquakes, solar flare), all at once to get an actual apocalypse. We've seen in isolated examples that mankind can often recover from one catastrophic event (black plague and smallpox, Krakatoa/little ice age, tsunamis and earthquakes), so I imagine it'll take several really. In Biblical terms, Revelations describes several calamities that are supposed to happen one after another, so maybe my vote's just a bit for Biblical. 

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 04:47:34 am »

I think it may be a 'prefect storm' of things that results in the collapse of human society. Say viruses in one region (man made even), war in others, plus some natural events (volcanoes, earthquakes, solar flare), all at once to get an actual apocalypse. We've seen in isolated examples that mankind can often recover from one catastrophic event (black plague and smallpox, Krakatoa/little ice age, tsunamis and earthquakes), so I imagine it'll take several really. In Biblical terms, Revelations describes several calamities that are supposed to happen one after another, so maybe my vote's just a bit for Biblical. 

Natural disasters often lead to secondary disasters such as epidemic, famine, drowning .  As can man made situations  such as rapid global travel and the AIDS/ Ebola  crisis, 9/11, Union Carbide.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 12:39:28 pm »

There seems to be a number of old soviet research facilities in central Asia, with samples of deadly virus and bacteria. As they also seem to have no security, someone might get hold of them and release them.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 05:04:27 pm »

Global dimming perplexes me at the moment because it is not understood and the consequence I don't think are being looked at, and many of the answers for global warming would make this worse. Anyway that is a personal beef. It is not the things we expect that destroy us but what we have not imagined, so I have to vote for other.

Anyway for those that survive this has to be their song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0qyrnGLnsw
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 05:10:38 pm »

I prefer to look at the whole question from another direction: I want to be one of the Survivors, and I want my family and friends to be surviving with me.  In which case it is both important to study each of the various TEOTWAWKI scenarios, but equally important not to fixate on one or two of the possibilities.

Getting ready for a world-ending catastrophe is a good thing, in my book - because almost all elements of readiness for natural or man made disasters could come in very very handy in lower-level disasters: if you are ready for a "Zombie Apocalypse"* then a simple ice storm or power outage of a day or two will pose no challenges.

Bear in mind, though, that some scenarios are not just about the end of the world as we know it, but the end of all human life on Earth or off it.  Asteroid strike, supernova Sun, and so on are just unsurvivable, and may be ignored unless you have plans for a space ship and a suitable replacement Earth.  

On the other hand, a large meteor strike could take us almost to extinction, and you would want to be among the survivors; once the initial perturbations were out of the way, the climb back to a proper Steam-technology level would be a wonderful challenge.  

Most of the scenarios posed - almost everything is covered in the list, some things twice - threaten civilisation in more ways than one.  Of course, the important thing to remember is that so many systems are so fragile, and have evolved out of a reach for efficiency.  Any disruption of systems at this point, with so many systems being interconnected, would be inevitably fatal for huge numbers of people.  American cities, it has been stated, are never more than five days from starvation; the interruption of natural gas or electricity for heat in a bad winter would be more immediately deadly, the interruption of water supplies as well.

I use the New Madrid Earthquake Storm of the early 19th Century as a good example.  You have all heard the stories: it made church bells chime in Boston, the Mississippi ran backwards for three days, Reelfoot Lake was created from a loop cut off from the river, and so on.  But while a couple of villages were destroyed, there was no massive loss of life; there were no major structures, no bridges or infrastructure in the affected area.  Now, millions of people live there, and millions more are dependent on the freeways, businesses, and especially energy pipelines that pass through there.  There are dams and nuclear power plants - they hadn't built many of those yet in 1811** - in the area that could be destroyed or damaged, leading to secondary waves of destruction.

What can one do to get ready for something like that?  Well, the old saw about surviving an "atomic explosion" still rings true: "don't be there when it happens".  If you think it is likely that sea levels will rise - in many scenarios, such as solar output increasing or meteor strike, they will, perhaps within seconds - sell your villa by the sea and move away.  If you live in the Netherlands, in a polder, or in New Orleans, which is below sea level already, move away.  Actually, almost anywhere on Earth is potentially subject to some localized threat, so you would want to make your calculations carefully, and do take everything into account.

A case in point: in the late 1970s, we were very close to an all-out nuclear war.  One man from the US wanted to do the right thing for his family, so he studied fallout charts, weather patterns, and so on, and found a place that suited him politically and culturally, but was deep in the Southern Hemisphere, where they would have better chances of survival.  He studied up on the local agriculture, learned what he needed to know, then they sold everything they had in late 1981 and moved... to the Falkland Islands.

Oops.  Cheesy

Cheers!

Chas.

*note: the term Zombie Apocalypse should in no way indicate a belief in an attack by reanimated corpses.  It is simply a useful portmanteau cover term for generic top-tier catastrophe, category unspecified.

**humor.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 06:26:45 pm »

There seems to be a number of old soviet research facilities in central Asia, with samples of deadly virus and bacteria. As they also seem to have no security, someone might get hold of them and release them.

Thanks for the heads up.    I shall don my hazmat suit and explore  Wink
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 06:40:30 pm »

I prefer to look at the whole question from another direction: I want to be one of the Survivors, and I want my family and friends to be surviving with me.  In which case it is both important to study each of the various TEOTWAWKI scenarios, but equally important not to fixate on one or two of the possibilities.

Getting ready for a world-ending catastrophe is a good thing, in my book - because almost all elements of readiness for natural or man made disasters could come in very very handy in lower-level disasters: if you are ready for a "Zombie Apocalypse"* then a simple ice storm or power outage of a day or two will pose no challenges.

Bear in mind, though, that some scenarios are not just about the end of the world as we know it, but the end of all human life on Earth or off it.  Asteroid strike, supernova Sun, and so on are just unsurvivable, and may be ignored unless you have plans for a space ship and a suitable replacement Earth.  

On the other hand, a large meteor strike could take us almost to extinction, and you would want to be among the survivors; once the initial perturbations were out of the way, the climb back to a proper Steam-technology level would be a wonderful challenge.  

Most of the scenarios posed - almost everything is covered in the list, some things twice - threaten civilisation in more ways than one.  Of course, the important thing to remember is that so many systems are so fragile, and have evolved out of a reach for efficiency.  Any disruption of systems at this point, with so many systems being interconnected, would be inevitably fatal for huge numbers of people.  American cities, it has been stated, are never more than five days from starvation; the interruption of natural gas or electricity for heat in a bad winter would be more immediately deadly, the interruption of water supplies as well.

I use the New Madrid Earthquake Storm of the early 19th Century as a good example.  You have all heard the stories: it made church bells chime in Boston, the Mississippi ran backwards for three days, Reelfoot Lake was created from a loop cut off from the river, and so on.  But while a couple of villages were destroyed, there was no massive loss of life; there were no major structures, no bridges or infrastructure in the affected area.  Now, millions of people live there, and millions more are dependent on the freeways, businesses, and especially energy pipelines that pass through there.  There are dams and nuclear power plants - they hadn't built many of those yet in 1811** - in the area that could be destroyed or damaged, leading to secondary waves of destruction.

What can one do to get ready for something like that?  Well, the old saw about surviving an "atomic explosion" still rings true: "don't be there when it happens".  If you think it is likely that sea levels will rise - in many scenarios, such as solar output increasing or meteor strike, they will, perhaps within seconds - sell your villa by the sea and move away.  If you live in the Netherlands, in a polder, or in New Orleans, which is below sea level already, move away.  Actually, almost anywhere on Earth is potentially subject to some localized threat, so you would want to make your calculations carefully, and do take everything into account.

A case in point: in the late 1970s, we were very close to an all-out nuclear war.  One man from the US wanted to do the right thing for his family, so he studied fallout charts, weather patterns, and so on, and found a place that suited him politically and culturally, but was deep in the Southern Hemisphere, where they would have better chances of survival.  He studied up on the local agriculture, learned what he needed to know, then they sold everything they had in late 1981 and moved... to the Falkland Islands.

Oops.  Cheesy

Cheers!

Chas.

*note: the term Zombie Apocalypse should in no way indicate a belief in an attack by reanimated corpses.  It is simply a useful portmanteau cover term for generic top-tier catastrophe, category unspecified.

**humor.

People move to New Zealand in the belief they will avoid military action, invasion, dictatorships,  nuclear  fall out,  pollution  etc. Tourism touts us as "Clean and Green"

US , Russia , China have a significant naval force in the Pacific due to the presence of untapped mineral resources. NZ has 2 of the largest fault lines in the world running through it.  We are known as the "Shaky Isles". The  biggest city is built on a volcanic field of 50 + known craters. A tsunami could wipe over most of the country.   

We are testing ground for pharmaceuticals, agricultural chemicals etc.   . Half our beaches are too polluted to swim at.

Come on down anytime !
selectedgrub
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 07:35:20 pm »

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:28:28 pm by selectedgrub » Logged
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 09:00:46 pm »

In a 40 year period there were...the two largest wars in the known history of the world (including the use of nuclear weapons), a pandemic that killed millions, a global economic collapse, famine in some parts of Europe and major droughts in America and Australia, quite a few earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, at least one act of genocide, frequent outbreaks of civil disorder, revolutions, civil war and what would now be called terrorism, assorted localized natural disasters and so on....but civilization didn't end by 1945.

Pick any one of these 'doomsday scenario's' and you will find accounts of the survivors, in many cases there wasn't anything particular they did, and they don't know why they survived and other didn't. Yes some prepared for what they could see coming, others survived by moving away from the threat but for many it was just 'luck'. Like someone meeting a friend on the way to the station so they miss their usual train which crashes or a soldier stopping to look at a watch or compass so they aren't where a shell lands a few seconds later.

Those who survive often rebuild things quickly, sometimes in defiance of the 'orders'from above' as the farmers who's land had been the battlefields of the Western front for several years. They returned, rebuilt their farms, and cleared land of debris to be able to grow crops again.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 09:30:03 pm »

However none of those things came anywhere near what you might call an extinction event. The Spanish Flu only killed around 1% of the population. Nothing like the 33% you got with the Black Death. If you look at the numbers in context, the 20th century was actually rather peaceful and safe.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 10:46:41 pm »

Oh, dear Annie,

Just when I had got my catastrophic thinking under control to the point where I had left the snakebite serum and anti-radiation detection badge off my shopping list . . .

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 11:05:05 pm »

Was I giving away to many state secrets .....
ClockworkCrisis
Deck Hand

By God sir, look at the bustle on that woman!

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 11:29:31 pm »

Probably either war or pollution. Because humans are violent and unreasonable.

...or zombies. There could always be zombies.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 12:59:05 am »

Probably either war or pollution. Because humans are violent and unreasonable.

...or zombies. There could always be zombies.

I forgot Zombies  - to some folk the threat is very real
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 01:11:35 am »

Zombies are part of the Biblical option. The dead are meant to rise from their grave when the apocalypse happens and Jesus returns.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 01:20:27 am »

Zombies are part of the Biblical option. The dead are meant to rise from their grave when the apocalypse happens and Jesus returns.

So Jesus is really a Zombie. That adds a new perspective to Easter.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 04:16:23 am »

Pollution

The survivors will adopt a ultra-collectivist, long term based new form of morality and the concept of ''crime agains Earth'' will rise up.

Also, animism will have high probablity to be on a rise up, if you excuse the pragmatically objective but ideologically self-complimenting ( and probably illegal) prediction.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 06:47:47 pm »

I think that a complex civilization would succumb to a complex disaster. I go with the 'perfect storm' folks...Wink
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 09:16:31 pm »

What about Kraken evolving to a more amphibious species, hybridizing with Dolphins and deciding that they won't work for the occasional fish is they jump through a hoop?

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 09:31:43 pm »

Giant Rock Headed our way!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/18/asteroid-earth-nasa_n_6489246.html

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 08:55:10 am »

What will trigger the APOCALYPSE

That would be my little red button under the locked thingy :

& How will the world be for Survivors?
It depends on how well they pay me....

yhs
prof (maniacal ) marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: