The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 09:02:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Glamorous Camping  , is it for you ?
yes - 13 (37.1%)
no - 7 (20%)
maybe - 4 (11.4%)
it would depend - 11 (31.4%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glamping - would you do it?  (Read 5509 times)
selectedgrub
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2015, 06:41:25 am »

In that Jalopy journal thread.
Seriously cool.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2015, 07:11:18 am »

Extremely !

we will be waiting with baited breath for your next project !
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2015, 08:26:22 am »

Dear Ms Hurricane, although I am British and I know as such it is considered my duty to support the land-rover, After seeing as a boy the film Hatari, I must admit if I were on Safari this is the only vehicle I would consider sitting on the front of while lassoing Rhino

And before anybody says that is not steampunk please note the use of goggles

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:30:36 am by jonb » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2015, 08:55:13 am »

Dear Ms Hurricane, although I am British and I know as such it is considered my duty to support the land-rover, After seeing as a boy the film Hatari, I must admit if I were on Safari this is the only vehicle I would consider sitting on the front of while lassoing Rhino

And before anybody says that is not steampunk please note the use of goggles

Don't forget the fantastic music score by Henry Mancini.  Perfect "glamping" music  Grin

Henry Mancini - Hatari! (Theme from "Hatari!" Original Soundtrack)

And the similar Mancini song: "Lujon"
Lujon
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:02:37 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2015, 10:35:45 am »

The theme is Ok when it comes with the pictures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX-UNQK-2vA

but this the first four minutes of this is the best tune  for me on the sound track. But on the film is only used to support the action and I have heard better versions by Mancini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pIMhc4LOHQ

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2015, 06:10:35 pm »

A friend has Baby Elephant walk on their ring tone. It does stand out from the herd
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:29:06 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2015, 07:18:43 pm »

A Google image search for safari camping will turn up pictures that would fit right in with the "glamping" scenes we have seen; there are very few pics of little blue nylon tents, but many shots of tents with wooden floors, real furniture, carpets on the floor, and so on.  

So, call it "safari camping" if you don't like the name (I don't like the word much myself); the concept fits right in there with Steampunk.

Cheers!

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2015, 08:27:42 pm »

For those wishing a respite from the rhino's and mosquito's there is always indoor camping http://www.unusualhotelsoftheworld.com/BaseCampBonn
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2015, 09:27:56 pm »

A properly done Yurt or Tipi that you don't have to 'carry in' can be an ideal base, as can a 'Baker tent' although they are less roomy.

To be truly glamorous any accommodation should include provision for a few logs on the fire to keep you warm through the night, with the added romantic ambience. believe me burning a newspaper in the entrance to a cave is not the same (done it).

Perhaps the perfect combination is to hire some 'glamping' for a few days, arrive and have a good night then a day or two 'into the wilds' before a return and a night or two glamping before you head home to get freshened up and acceptable for civilization (You get funny looks on trains after a week or two in the  mountains or forests).
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2015, 12:33:02 am »

Mobile/Recreational Tipi?  Grin

http://www.chaletrv.com/folding-trailers/
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2015, 11:11:17 am »

There is a lot of glamour in those very superior pointy rooms Mr Wilhelm. Proving all one requires for their very own leisure home is a towbar. Is it true one is allowed to wild camp in the Americas? It is rumoured the British may in the North of mainland Britain. Sadly it is not permissible outside the Scottish regions.

In fact it has become quite difficult to acquire bespoke residences that do not require the support of site infrastructure. This allows the caravanner to have every facility offered by the hotel room with the advantages of personalisation but can be quite limiting. To work around this disadvantage I know several people creating their own motor homes. A couple are using this company (no connection to me) which offers some very fine features. I am quite tempted myself. Our next outfit maybe? http://cjcvans.co.uk.websitebuilder.prositehosting.co.uk/cabinets-and-units
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2015, 12:53:11 pm »

I think there is a perfect steampunk solution for mounting an expedition in style without the need for '100 native porters'....it requires some calculations but a small dirigible attached to the rucksack would allow you to transport everything you need including a couple of armchairs with no more effort than a stroll in the park.

Another option would be a 4 wheel drive version of a Stanley steam car towing a small trailer.

Sorry I'm in eccentric inventor mode at the moment.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2015, 01:12:25 am »

Reference "overlanding" in the Google machine, and you find folks who do go off into the wilds indeed.  If you reference "overlanding trailer" (American dialect for "caravan"), you will find things like this:

http://www.adaktrailers.com/

For those who don't mind a bit of modernity in their travels.

On the other hand, one might find something like this project:

http://www.johnwestonpioneer.info/#!overlanding/cozk

Very advanced for its time, and, though out of what is considered canon for Steampunk by a few years, it could be very easily adapted.

Cheers!

Chas.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2015, 01:31:13 am »

If I was doing this I would want to go full on safari, setting up a canvas tent with a minibar and these hanging on the walls:

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2015, 01:40:12 am »

I have been reading an essay by George Monbiot on BBC Earth 'Back to Nature' series, in which he mentions our "ghost psyche," the part of us established over many thousands of years that needs the natural environment to thrive, which is, in the modern world, full of wounds and grief over the ravaged environment we inhabit now.

Given the awful evidence of bones and teeth from prehistory, however, the deaths from infant mortality, tooth decay, minor infections, animal predation, cannibalism, broken bones, clubbings, etc., at a very early age, I think we are justified in taking some civilization with us -- say 5% into the wilds for the restoration of our souls.

And being morally unable to employ the 100 chanting bearers, we would have to use a helicopter drop for supplies, perhaps; but then, if we eschew the term "Glamping," which is cringe-making, we could allow ourselves a dry and lofty rock foundation with a storm cellar, a solid wood floor, a solar array, satellite WiFi, earth plumbing, a huge river-rock hearth, a diverted snow-fed stream, spacious tented rooms, and a comprehensive medical kit with instructions.

The best of the wilderness and civilization   But then, I live in the realms of fantasy.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2015, 08:24:16 am »

There is a lot of glamour in those very superior pointy rooms Mr Wilhelm. Proving all one requires for their very own leisure home is a towbar. Is it true one is allowed to wild camp in the Americas? It is rumoured the British may in the North of mainland Britain. Sadly it is not permissible outside the Scottish regions.

In fact it has become quite difficult to acquire bespoke residences that do not require the support of site infrastructure. This allows the caravanner to have every facility offered by the hotel room with the advantages of personalisation but can be quite limiting. To work around this disadvantage I know several people creating their own motor homes. A couple are using this company (no connection to me) which offers some very fine features. I am quite tempted myself. Our next outfit maybe? http://cjcvans.co.uk.websitebuilder.prositehosting.co.uk/cabinets-and-units

The legality of it depends on the specific location in the US.  Typically one must be in Federal public land or State public land, or at least on private land where the owners allow camping, to be able to do it and there are restrictions as to how you may affect the environment.  So it's not like you can camp "anywhere you want," but the availability of open land or private in North America is rather common.  You will have strict prohibitions and restrictions near urban areas depending on the local laws.  Private camping land tends to be paired with RV facilities (as the owners of the land exploit the tourism trade).

The thing about North America is that there is a lot of open space, but we also have paved an infinity of roads criss-crossing this tremendous space. I'm not sure what the ranking is for paved miles (some one please correct me?) but I think the US has more linear miles paved than any other country. Most of these miles are on old bumpy roads save for the major Interstate (Federal) and State Highways.  The quality of the smaller roads is not as good as what you may be accustomed in Western Europe, but you can bet that there is always a little bumpy road leading to wherever you want to go, no matter how remote that place is.

People who like to avoid RV parks and forgo utilities and services usually go camping on public land:
http://freecampsites.net/usa/

http://www.uscampgrounds.info/

A guide for RV's (private land)
http://www.gocampingamerica.com/

KOA is an atomic age franchise company that exploited the American's newfound wealth and taste for camping in the latter 20th. C, they are the camping equivalent of McDonald's hamburgers, and provide the most "cookie cutter" RV experience, but I won't deny having fun and fond memories of these places when I traveled around the West.  Apparently they are now in the business of renting bungalows on camping grounds (I never saw that 25 years ago):
http://koa.com/

~ ~ ~

If I was doing this I would want to go full on safari, setting up a canvas tent with a minibar and these hanging on the walls:

Save the fact that these are just "heads," these look like my stuffed plush toy collection when I was a child  Grin  Now, you may be thinking "Safari," but your fellow campers may think "Mental Sanatorium."  Having said this - and noting that no offense was intended  Grin , I still have some of mine some over 30 years old - to be passed down the generations. When I was a child they did travel with me - everywhere (in no small part thanks to the RV).  But my loyal animals (those who survive) are not keen on going camping when they can live safely indoors and raid the refrigerator at leisure. Grin

*blows on soap bubble pipe*
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:59:34 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2015, 11:53:31 am »

I figured carrying around actual animal heads would be complicated, so the plush versions seemed better.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2015, 07:12:10 pm »

I have been reading an essay by George Monbiot on BBC Earth 'Back to Nature' series, in which he mentions our "ghost psyche," the part of us established over many thousands of years that needs the natural environment to thrive, which is, in the modern world, full of wounds and grief over the ravaged environment we inhabit now.

Given the awful evidence of bones and teeth from prehistory, however, the deaths from infant mortality, tooth decay, minor infections, animal predation, cannibalism, broken bones, clubbings, etc., at a very early age, I think we are justified in taking some civilization with us -- say 5% into the wilds for the restoration of our souls.

And being morally unable to employ the 100 chanting bearers, we would have to use a helicopter drop for supplies, perhaps; but then, if we eschew the term "Glamping," which is cringe-making, we could allow ourselves a dry and lofty rock foundation with a storm cellar, a solid wood floor, a solar array, satellite WiFi, earth plumbing, a huge river-rock hearth, a diverted snow-fed stream, spacious tented rooms, and a comprehensive medical kit with instructions.

The best of the wilderness and civilization   But then, I live in the realms of fantasy.

Reference "overlanding" in the Google machine, and you find folks who do go off into the wilds indeed.  If you reference "overlanding trailer" (American dialect for "caravan"), you will find things like this:

http://www.adaktrailers.com/

For those who don't mind a bit of modernity in their travels.

On the other hand, one might find something like this project:

http://www.johnwestonpioneer.info/#!overlanding/cozk

Very advanced for its time, and, though out of what is considered canon for Steampunk by a few years, it could be very easily adapted.

Cheers!

Chas.

Overlanding. Yes this does have a ring to it . It does sound both more intrepid and grand than "glamping".

Humans on some level must still be hard wired for survival  on the savannah. It would do the soul good to return to the elements , if only temporarily  to stretch out  and flex the  more instinctive side of our natures.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2015, 11:50:18 pm »

I'll just post this here:
BBC Travel. The trip that changed national parks forever

http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20150109-the-trip-that-changed-national-parks-forever
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 11:52:03 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2015, 04:08:57 am »

They don't let British people see that site, presumably because we could easily check what it says. It is probably all lies and government propaganda.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2015, 04:51:33 am »

They don't let British people see that site, presumably because we could easily check what it says. It is probably all lies and government propaganda.  

WTF?  Roll Eyes  Huh OK.  Well it's not exactly a secret.  I really don't know why anyone would consider this subversive or think this was propaganda. Unless they're trying to silence a Scott Wink

Sweet Jesus.  Cheesy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But seriously, I think think this has to do more with TV licensing issues around BBC America.

Can you see these websites then?  It's all about the VERY SAME person..  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir

http://www.pbs.org/nationalparks/people/historical/muir/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_park
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:29:32 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2015, 01:59:36 pm »

Dear Mr Wilhelm

You have just destroyed my "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" fantasy about American camping. BBC travel used to have an annual homage to the airstream migrations that were unbelievably luxurious in comparison to the UK offerings of that time.

It is true that back in the days of Cliff Mitchelmore I would accept the fact presented at face value. After all why would it be anyone's advantage to be ungentlemanly. I expect the same goes for all national media sources.

Now we are leisured we do enjoy absorbing comparing and contrasting "the news" story as stated by different sources. Just within the one corporation it is excellently diverse. Within the same hour, reports on BBC world, radio 4, radio 5, radio 2 and TV can be totally unrecognisable in comparison to each other. Happily, Mr Jonb, here we can reside in the safe and happy knowledge that "THEY" are all mad. If they do trouble you, just say "Jimmy Saville","Brazilian electrician" or the 4 letter noun ending in Q. That will soon put matters right.

I am currently researching accommodation for Asylum in August for our household. Does anyone have any recommendations within a 30 mile radius of Lincoln? We are NOT CC or C&CC although the latter are more likely to meet our requirements. If there is such a group as "the Grand Assembly of Excellent Nomadic Adventurers" and they are organising a rally we will be most grateful for an introduction.

Yours most respectfully

Henrietta

henrietta Devereux
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2015, 02:22:47 pm »

I am wondering about the poll at the top of the page. At time of writing 22 people have declared themselves. I am wondering about the category "it will depend". On what factors would your decision be based? What would glamping as opposed to camping mean to you.

I opted for the "depends" category because glamping to me entails more than having electricity. If we go for a week walking in November in the lake district I have electric. I do not consider it glamping because I remove all rugs and cover everything with easy wash fleeces. Attire is basic, layered, warm and waterproof. The nature of our accommodation requires us to have lights, an indoor bathroom, fridge freezer, hob and oven. Removing those items would be a major operation.

Glamping would depend on occasion. If I am glamping I would dismantle our end bed each morning and not have the box receptacle for muddy shoes but essentially my attire and manicure would be of a different standard.
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2015, 04:28:04 pm »

It depends on what you are going out in the wild to shoot, I may only need half a dozen beaters if I am potting snipe in the Fens, on the other hand when trailing something a little larger ones retinue would obviously require a little more in the way of accommodation.

A tiger hunt organized by Maharajah of Alwar for his British guests
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2015, 09:54:34 pm »

http://www.cracktwo.com/2011/07/home-built-from-two-shipping-containers.html
&
http://www.cracktwo.com/2015/01/you-wont-believe-this-house-is-made-of.html (I hope they used lime mortar & not concrete)

Glamping anyone?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: