The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 12:39:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Glamorous Camping  , is it for you ?
yes - 13 (37.1%)
no - 7 (20%)
maybe - 4 (11.4%)
it would depend - 11 (31.4%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glamping - would you do it?  (Read 5231 times)
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2015, 01:46:34 am »

I enjoyed living the high life, I also spent a weekend on a survival course with the army in the wet cold highlands, I would not be separated from the memory of either, and mixing the two would have its own charms. Thus I am in harmony with Ms A. Periscope.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2015, 11:56:45 am »

I cannot 'Glamp' on purely physical grounds.
These knees and hips just couldn't take it anymore.
But if the accomodation (yurt, teepee or whatever) is already set up and ready for to move in? I believe the more upmarket ones are as luxurious and comfortable as a hotel room.

Yours,
Miranda.

Then it would depend on the type of bed. A cot or camp bed would be inadequate and it seems unlikely that an authentic Kingsize with firm mattress and duvet would be found in a field. Unless anyone knows differently of course. Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2015, 07:21:33 pm »

But if the accomodation (yurt, teepee or whatever) is already set up and ready for to move in? I believe the more upmarket ones are as luxurious and comfortable as a hotel room.

Yours,
Miranda.
Then it would depend on the type of bed. A cot or camp bed would be inadequate and it seems unlikely that an authentic Kingsize with firm mattress and duvet would be found in a field. Unless anyone knows differently of course. Smiley
Actually, many of the permanently sited accomodations do have proper beds; if you do a quick 'google' for glamping images you'll see what I mean.

Yours,
Miranda.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2015, 07:30:59 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.
Actually, many of the permanently sited accomodations do have proper beds; if you do a quick 'google' for glamping images you'll see what I mean.

Yours,
Miranda.

And that to me is the crux of my objection to 'glamping'. If you want to go camping then GO CAMPING! Living in a canvas facsimile of your living room/a hotel room is not camping!  Angry

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2015, 07:37:27 pm »

Naturally, but there is one major advantage to clamping.  You can do it, theoretically on any part of the world.  Going camping in the vicinity of cities or urban areas is no great accomplishment in itself.  Many if the places where you can go RVing already are limited by road conditions, for example, and yet you can go to places where no one would dream to find a hotel room...

Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2015, 08:19:49 pm »

Most of these are simply a short step up in luxury from the finest safari camps.  When a safari outfit sets up a permanent camp, you will find everything short of running water - and that as well, if you consider sending a flunky off running to get it.

I remember some of the best safari setups of the past - and some still - would have wood floors set up for the tents, real campaign furniture, that sort of thing.  The beds might be easily broken down, but they certainly weren't bunks or cots.  

As well, many of us must now consider not just our own individual comfort, but the comfort of others.  While I have camped in odd places before - nothing like a midnight stroll to the loo while being eyeballed by a hyena!* - and have a reasonable tolerance for discomfort, I would not inflict such on La Contessa.  She would bear up well, and would not complain, but I would want her to enjoy herself - not just because that is a worthy end in itself, but that if she doesn't like it she won't want to do it again.  And if she were to roll off the bench and end up doing a face-plant in Mesopotamian sand*, I don't think she would react as well as I did.

So whether you call it "glamping", or simply "high-luxury safari style camping", it is a valid choice for many of us; and it certainly could be a steamy thing in which we can participate without guilt.

Cheers!

Chas.

*true stories; details upon request.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2015, 11:29:19 pm »

Naturally, but there is one major advantage to clamping.  You can do it, theoretically on any part of the world.  Going camping in the vicinity of cities or urban areas is no great accomplishment in itself.  Many if the places where you can go RVing already are limited by road conditions, for example, and yet you can go to places where no one would dream to find a hotel room...
Indeed! I must admit I'd quite like to be able to flip on the car's 4x4 setting, head off up some hilly track, and do a 'micro-camp' (where we fold out a small tent from the back of the car where we adults sleep, and the children sleep on the folded-down back seats) well away from from civilisation, breakfasting whilst looking out over dramaic scenery. Unfortunatly, the opportunites for such alfresco camping are severly limited in the UK (you're not even supposed to do overnight stays on lay-bys); maybe one day on the continent.

(snip)
I remember some of the best safari setups of the past - and some still - would have wood floors set up for the tents, real campaign furniture, that sort of thing.
(snip)
We do take some duck-boards along in our trailer-tent to lay down in the awning; we've been flooded out in that a few too many times...

Yours,
Miranda.

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2015, 12:57:01 am »

Am I sensing a certain "discomfort equals virtue" sentiment here?  One comes across it re childbirth, too, and  ice plunges, and it ought to be driven out of doors at once with a stiff broom!

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2015, 01:05:09 am »

Teddy Roosevelt would have had a few words to say about that.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2015, 04:17:27 am »

Am I sensing a certain "discomfort equals virtue" sentiment here?  One comes across it re childbirth, too, and  ice plunges, and it ought to be driven out of doors at once with a stiff broom!

I quite agree.  Vacations are meant to be enjoyed.  If you enjoy a 6 hour hike followed by sleeping on a rock ledge - carry on but I see no reason to look down on someone who enjoys a comfortable bed and a porter to carry the heavier bags. 

And that to me is the crux of my objection to 'glamping'. If you want to go camping then GO CAMPING! Living in a canvas facsimile of your living room/a hotel room is not camping!
You are quite right.  It is not camping it is glamping.  Two whole different letters to make the beds and carry the champagne.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2015, 07:11:16 am »

Vacations are meant to be enjoyed. 

Some people enjoy the challenge of not spending their time easy like a normal working day. For them, vacation is an adventure, a challenge. Camping with minimal equipment is one way of doing it, so glamping is not everyone's idea of how camping should be done.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2015, 07:28:08 am »

Am I sensing a certain "discomfort equals virtue" sentiment here?  One comes across it re childbirth, too, and  ice plunges, and it ought to be driven out of doors at once with a stiff broom!

Cheesy I'm also sensing that Glamping is showing more support from the fairer sex  Cheesy  Perhaps some inherent "machismo" aspect on the part of us in the male side Steampunk?  If I go camping, I want to do it 'a la Rambo Cheesy With only a hammock, a machete, some semi-automatic rifle plus grenades and of course, my trusty bandana.

"They drew first blood"

EDIT:
And about RV'ing:  12 Things You Didn’t Know About Airstream Trailers
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/12-things-you-didnt-know-about-airstream-trailers-107521108697.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 07:39:00 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2015, 06:23:33 pm »

There are several disadvantages to 'glamping', you don't get the fireflies illuminating the roof of your bush shelter (ladies find that rather romantic in my experience). You are rather limited for location (although it used to be possible to camel treck in the sinai and sleep in bedouin tents before 'glamping' was invented.
Many 'glamping' sites are aimed at people with cars, so are rather 'on the beaten track' rather than off it, which decreases the 'romantic adventure' side of things. Not having to carry 80 pounds of kit and food 10 miles into the hills has it's advantages (arthritis) but why not just book a hotel room?
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2015, 06:50:53 pm »

Hear, hear!  Some masochists enjoy that sort of thing; and I will admit that overcoming *Necessary* challenges to reach a goal has its own appeal - Hillary wouldn't have had much respect had he spent all that time, money, and effort to conquer Glastonbury Tor.  Then again, had Hillary installed artificial barriers so that a climb of the Tor was nearly as difficult as Everest, they would have put him away as a nutter.

There is no reason not to enjoy the outdoors however you would like to do so.  And no excuse for demeaning someone else's choice on how to do that, so long as they don't impinge (guy with the noisy generator, I am looking at YOU!) on your own enjoyment.

Z
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2015, 07:11:57 pm »

Not having to carry 80 pounds of kit and food 10 miles into the hills has it's advantages (arthritis) but why not just book a hotel room?  

I guess it depends on the hotel room. It was the experience of B&B that convinced us camping was the way to go. Some sites are best forgotten just as some hotels are. There are sites in glorious locations where one should never locate a hotel room. Sometimes we glam up the camping experience, sometimes we rough it. It all depends on what we are doing and who we are with. We are still camping and not glamping though.

We still stay in hotels. A couple have been exemplary but I have not come across one that could not be improved. The best, close to the Trevi in Rome was splendid; other than the fact the loo overflowed every time it was flushed. Happily that has never occurred on any campsite we have visited.

Price is no guarantee of quality either. We stayed in a hotel on Loch Lomond who kept mentioning Pavoritti, Cliff Richard et al stayed there but it was still impossible to get a second cup for us to make a cup of tea.

We were under canvas at Glen Nevis when the weather was so bad we could not put the tent up. Having travelled from the Midlands in one go we were too tired to struggle and booked into a hotel for the first night. To me, that seems perfectly reasonable. However, there are people who are too delicate to spend the night in their hotel room even after they have paid for one.

Sir Len went to the facilities of one hotel during the early hours and found around 20 people sleeping in the lobby in preference to their rooms.  Upon enquiry; he discovered that upon arrival at the hotel they felt their constitutions may suffer if they slept in an unheated room at minus 20 on a bed of ice. Personally I had a very comfortable night, although the early morning cuppa of a thimbleful of ligonberry juice was a lot short of perfection.

Is the ice hotel glamping?
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2015, 08:26:44 pm »

I had friends who thought you were going soft if you took a tent while exploring the wild outdoors. Would there be objections if it was called Canvas-hostelling? To me this looks more like an argument about what things are called, rather than an activity being good or bad.
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2015, 12:07:33 am »

To me this looks more like an argument about what things are called, rather than an activity being good or bad.

I thought the question was "Would you go glamping?" rather than "is glamping good or bad". Not sure anyone is arguing but I personally find it difficult to say what I would do or not do without a definition. I am beginning to think glamping is only a term to apply to accommodation not already labelled tent, room, boat etc.

We started defining glamping as adding "glamour" to a basic camping experience but the definition of a basic camping experience in the UK varies.  I guess to each their own and it would be a very sad if we were all the same.

Some like to travel lightly but the definition of the necessities changes according to each individual. Personally I have found most hotel rooms have less facilities than our caravan yet ours is one of the most basic of those available. It was our decision to choose one that does not need site facilities to operate but we still have a fridge freezer, oven, bathroom etc.

Camping under the stars with the most essential necessities excepted I reckon glamping is what we make it. How we live decides the level of luxury we bring to our lives. Having camped under canvas for two of us or as part as a youth jamboree, staffed a narrowboat for a youth group, owned caravans from the most basic no facilities other than a foot pump for the water to cruising the Caribbean the most spartan experience I have ever encountered is a cruiser down the river Thames. Not the fault of the cruiser just our fault in not realising how much impact the values of our friends born again christian wife would have on us. No music, bed by 10 etc, etc, etc.

For winter walking holidays we choose to be more functional than other times. We could take silk and velvet covers etc which are not really practical with the cats.
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2015, 12:44:59 am »

Yes, you are right, I did not think of the exact question only the general area. This is something I tend to do because being dyslexic I tend to think visually and of the generality of questions. It can sometimes be useful to think this way, but also as you point out here I have missed the exact point.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2015, 12:45:14 am »

VW still the last word in Campervans

http://www.basecampers.com/vw-microbus-camper-van/

http://www.basecampers.com/how-glamping-is-revolutionising-campervan-holidays/

http://www.caravantimes.co.uk/news/volkswagen-confirms-plans-for-new-microbus-concept-$21379007.htm

jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2015, 01:02:16 am »

Josephine - a vintage Rolls-Royce home on wheels in Northern Scotland.

Once the car was a familiar sight on the American roads, it did not take long for someone to create a motorhome. This photograph of a happy family in their home on wheels was published in 1909.

I found these on this site. and there are other nice campers there, which I would choose to have a bit of style.

http://www.oldwoodies.com/gallery-rv.htm
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2015, 01:28:34 am »

While  researching the subject of GLAMPING , Campervans  &  modified vehicles  for camping purposes I have stumbled across some classics

Jeep have a groovy range of military look campers

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/weekly-blog/the-aev-jeep-brute-and-four-wheel-campers-sparrow

http://engineguy.com/news/have-you-seen-the-jeep-action-camper-slide-in

http://www.adventure-journal.com/2012/05/fresh-goods-moby1-expedition-trailer/

Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2015, 01:39:13 am »

Can I bring my Vorpal Blade & go "snicker-snack"?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2015, 01:47:01 am »

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2015, 04:26:45 am »

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/camping-usa-retro-camper-vehicles-trailers-gear.944951/

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2015, 06:22:06 am »

NOW

and THEN

NOW Defender

and THEN

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: