The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 09:13:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Glamorous Camping  , is it for you ?
yes - 13 (37.1%)
no - 7 (20%)
maybe - 4 (11.4%)
it would depend - 11 (31.4%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glamping - would you do it?  (Read 5254 times)
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 05:42:08 am »

Here is an interesting concept. A manly compromise to the Canvas vs RV wrestle on the rugged terrain .

I like this, and would be willing to create/buy something like this (such as Mr Von Slatt's Steampunk school bus 'RV') as an alternative to a caravan/motorhome or camping since that's basically what it is (an old army Bedford would provide a suitable base for one I'm sure). But then again, I am the sort of person who would engage in an activity for the pleasure of it, as opposed to enable me to say I've done it, and despite people who do the reverse.

Well, the conversion has stalled a bit due to the move and a bit of cash-flow problems, but Zver' (the Beast), aka Captain Lyerly's Shooting Brake is still on the drawing board.  Some work has been completed, and this spring should see significant progress.  Here is the base vehicle, from a while back:

Would this be reasonable for what you are proposing?

Cheers!

Chas.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:45:46 am by Captain Lyerly » Logged

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 05:55:35 am »

The end result should resemble (with suitable Steampunk options) this offering just slightly past the Steampunk source era:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/packard/twin_six/1702994.html

Cheers!

Chas.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 06:14:02 am »

Here is an interesting concept. A manly compromise to the Canvas vs RV wrestle on the rugged terrain .

I like this, and would be willing to create/buy something like this (such as Mr Von Slatt's Steampunk school bus 'RV') as an alternative to a caravan/motorhome or camping since that's basically what it is (an old army Bedford would provide a suitable base for one I'm sure). But then again, I am the sort of person who would engage in an activity for the pleasure of it, as opposed to enable me to say I've done it, and despite people who do the reverse.

Well, the conversion has stalled a bit due to the move and a bit of cash-flow problems, but Zver' (the Beast), aka Captain Lyerly's Shooting Brake is still on the drawing board.  Some work has been completed, and this spring should see significant progress.  Here is the base vehicle, from a while back:

Would this be reasonable for what you are proposing?

Cheers!

Chas.

An excellent choice.   That is the base of a magnificent beast   for going on week end  manouvre
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 12:23:39 pm »

Carrying around the bricks to build it would get really heavy though.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 06:25:21 pm »

Does it come with servants?...Wink My sole experience in camping was carrying a sleeping back with no backpack miles down the Appalachians...so as long as weight is kept to a minimum...Wink
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 09:07:41 pm »

Yes, I feel a sikh manservant is required.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 11:35:06 pm »

Yes, I feel a sikh manservant is required.

Igor is not a Sikh servant - the turban like apparel is in fact bandages holding together the latest cranial 'upgrades'...

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2015, 04:14:41 am »

Hnnngh! Igor is smart now! *slams palms on table*

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2015, 04:46:47 am »

Personally, I prefer to camp in my car. The butler won't fit, unless he rides in the...in the... Hmpf. Well, he just won't fit...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Silk Willoughby
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2015, 05:18:50 am »

As Cpt. Bellinger and I are on the re-enactment / steampunk circuit from Feb. till November every year, we are quite used to cracking the frost from the outside of the tent and melting the three inches of ice in the kettle in the morning. Then there is the glorious English summer when you wake up with your bed floating on five inches of water, wrestling a 15x15ft square canvas tent in the wind and the rain.................

Glamping?Huh Wouldn't dream of it !

In the jungle town where the sun beats down to the rage of man and beast
The English garb of the English sahib merely gets a bit more creased.
In Bangkok at 12 o'clock they foam at the mouth and run
But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid-day sun.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2015, 08:01:51 am »

As Cpt. Bellinger and I are on the re-enactment / steampunk circuit from Feb. till November every year, we are quite used to cracking the frost from the outside of the tent and melting the three inches of ice in the kettle in the morning. Then there is the glorious English summer when you wake up with your bed floating on five inches of water, wrestling a 15x15ft square canvas tent in the wind and the rain.................

Glamping?Huh Wouldn't dream of it !

Ah! The memories.  Circa 1980, on one of my trips around the US West, we passed by Yellowstone National Park. There are a few tourist camp grounds inside the park, but the ecological impact is minimised by having as little concrete and utilities/services as possible, save some portable latrines and a few electrical outlets (if I understand now you even need a reservation months in advance to even get into those camp grounds).

Anyhow, the camping grounds were divided in two sections.  Plain grounds for people wishing to place tents, and other spaces without a single electrical outlet for those RV's/caravans wishing to spend the night in the park. It was a cold damp morning as there had been some thunderstorms during the nigh. As I watched trough the window of our RV, I remember a German newly-wed couple who had pitched a tent behind the VW.  A small "creek" of muddy water had formed and was leading straight into the entrance of their tent.  The young couple were using pots an pans to extract the water from their tent floor before moving it to another location  Grin
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:03:28 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Antonus Fudge
Gunner

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 02:18:24 pm »

Glamping? For when there is no caravanserai in sight,
I absolutely insist upon it! "Men, we shall glamp this night!"
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 02:24:40 pm by Antonus Fudge » Logged

~ * ~
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2015, 04:36:44 am »

Appropriate musical accompaniment for the safari camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8PcPk1hPJQ

Cheers!

Chas.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2015, 04:33:42 pm »

We go camping every year, although being clearly very 'soft' compared to Snr. Officer Willoughby and Cpt. Bellinger, only during the (allegedly) summer months. We do go for an electrical hook-up, simply because that makes life easier with children; no worry of them touching or knocking over hot gas or oil lamps, cool milk in the fridge-box when they have a hankering for it at 2am, etc. However, I must admit it is difficult to find nice camp sites with this amenity; so many of them just deposit you in cheek-by-jowl regimeted rows on a flat, yellowed-grass plane with all the charm of a parking lot. We try to find ones that are bit more out of the way and in at least a little more natural setting.

But I do enjoy getting away from television, internet , games consoles and the like and spending a more simpler time together as a familiy; cooking and eating in the open (as weather permits), a walk or cycle ride after the evening meal, sitting around an oil lamp (outside the tent) after dark telling ghost stories... lovely!

So, glamping... A get-together of like-minded folk, tents and persons elegantly attired, civilised conversation lubricated by fine food and wine until the moon is high in the heavens; sounds rather nice...

Yours,
Miranda.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2015, 10:18:21 pm »

Very evocative of a bygone era  Miss Miranda. There is no reason though why like minded souls cannot bring back that ambiance to  weekends away.

henrietta Devereux
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2015, 02:13:07 pm »

So true Miss Miranda.

We too regard the rows of neatly lined boxes on the approved caravan club sites as abhorrent to nature. Sadly it is very difficult to find really wonderful campsites nowadays. Hopefully one or two forestry sites remain although our favoured woodlands at Coleford is now holiday cabins let at 4 figures a week.

We shall never forget our xmas 2000 expedition to Aviemore. On the 25th we waded through knee high snow to give our regards to the reindeer. New year was eventful in that we failed to outrun a blizzard and on seeking sanctuary at Swarland were advised we should have phoned ahead so that they could advise us the roads to the site were impassable.

We too seek a natural setting for our rural retreat (actually our accompanying wild beasts demand it) and agree with your proposal that A get-together of like-minded folk, tents and persons elegantly attired, civilised conversation lubricated by fine food and wine until the moon is high in the heavens; sounds rather nice... 

Are you by chance proposing to go to Asylum in 2015? Our base in 2014 was somewhat distant from Lincoln.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2015, 04:20:28 pm »

So true Miss Miranda.

We too regard the rows of neatly lined boxes on the approved caravan club sites as abhorrent to nature. Sadly it is very difficult to find really wonderful campsites nowadays. Hopefully one or two forestry sites remain although our favoured woodlands at Coleford is now holiday cabins let at 4 figures a week.

We shall never forget our xmas 2000 expedition to Aviemore. On the 25th we waded through knee high snow to give our regards to the reindeer. New year was eventful in that we failed to outrun a blizzard and on seeking sanctuary at Swarland were advised we should have phoned ahead so that they could advise us the roads to the site were impassable.

We too seek a natural setting for our rural retreat (actually our accompanying wild beasts demand it) and agree with your proposal that A get-together of like-minded folk, tents and persons elegantly attired, civilised conversation lubricated by fine food and wine until the moon is high in the heavens; sounds rather nice... 

Are you by chance proposing to go to Asylum in 2015? Our base in 2014 was somewhat distant from Lincoln.

Dear Miss Devereux,
Your Aviemore trip sounds to have been rather an adventure! The most extream weather we've experienced was down in Cornwall; storm-force winds across a high and rather exposed site on the north coast was rather too much for our little trailer-tent; just as we were having breakfast a particularly strong gust pushed on its side and bent right over the two central steel poles, causing the roof to cave in on us; not a happy moment, especially as our youngest was just a babe-in-arms at that point. Luckily we were with friends and their carbon-fibre poled tent was standing up to the battering better than ours, so with the children safely deposited with them we then had an eventful couple of hours in the torrential rain salvaging what we could; the damage was too great and we had to cut the trip short, pack up and head for home. Out trailer tent is now repaired and reinforced, although we had a worrying moment on this year's trip; dropping dusk, quite quiet in the site, and one of the camp offcials came around, asking if everything was OK, and were we ready for the hurricane? With no TV or radio reception, we handn't been paying enough attention to the weather forecast... Anyway, with memories of Cormwall every guy-rope and storm-strap was reinforced, and luckily (for us) the brunt of the storn hit the northern part of the country (we were in Devon).

If you are looking for a close-to-nature site and find yourself in the Barmouth area, we can recommend Rhaeadr Nantcol Waterfalls. No electrical hook-ups, but you are camping right by woods, waterfalls and streams; a throughly beautiful location. One point though - it is located up in the hills and acccessed via narrow roads with steep drops on one side and little room to pass, so I'd say if towing you need to be fairly confident in your manovering ability. Saying that, a firend of ours piloted their 6-berth motorhome there, so its is possible to get quite large vehicles to it.

Unfortuately the dates of the Asylum this year have been moved to the August bank holiday, which is also the date of the Llandrindod Wells Victorian Festival which we have attended for many years now. I know my children are more keen on the Welsh event, so I'm afraid it does look unlikely for us to be in Lincoln this year (we went for the first time in 2014, and whilst it was enjoyable for us adults, I have to admit it was less engaging for our little ones). Possibly we shall have the pleasure of meeting up at another time? We are to be in Whitby for the April Gothic weekend, although not camping (the gale-force winds and torrential, horizontal rain from a couple of years ago rather obviates that thought), but rather we are staying just down the coast in the picturesque village of Robin Hood's Bay.

Yours,
Miranda.
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2015, 08:15:46 pm »

Dear Miss Miranda

What an awful time you had in Cornwall. Events like that are so dreadfully exhausting. I am so glad your tent was repairable. You were indeed fortunate to be with friends. We do find campers and caravanners are generally the best of people you could ever wish to meet.

Although we have previously camped at Penzance, after our experiences driving through Mevagassy we decided for future trips to detach our shelter at a site we know near Castle Drogo and explore by unfettered horse powered carriage. I found that makes life far less "Interesting" as the chinese say.

Strange you should mention hurricanes and Barmouth. We lent our van to my parents on the Hendre Mynach site and returned to find the sea breeze had worried them so much they had procured hurricane straps and affixed them to the awning. To be fair it was June when Barmouth weather tends towards the dramatic. We have cycled Barmouth beach on Christmas day and walked it in sweltering heat in February so we can verify it has a micro-climate different from the rest of the UK.  To date we have not been present at the times when the floods rage across the harbour into the Last Inn.

We used to camp at Hendre Coed (now a static site) and that really was windy. We were on the slope above St Mary's churchyard. We had to hang on every door to ensure the windy did not blow them off their hinges. On the whole I recall the storms at Glen Nevis being the worst we have encountered. Even that was as nothing compared to the adventures my sister had turning her outfit in Tewkesbury high street the day of the floods.

We know the waterfalls well. Similarly Beddgelert and Llandanwg. Nowadays we unhitch just outside Welshpool and foray forth on day trips. We do intend to return to Llanindrod Wells one day to explore that wonderful art deco motor/cycle museum but we had no idea they had a Victorian Festival. That does sound fun but we have  now set our hearts on going to Asylum this year.

We will be visiting the Watercress line the weekend of the Whitby Goth weekend so we shall unfortunately miss each other again. Sir Leonardo then wishes to inspect the South coast defences before returning via coldharbour mill's May steaming event. Whether we shall extend our trip further to include National Mills Weekend I am uncertain at this stage. No doubt we shall include Westonzoyland on this voyage.

Do keep me up to date with your adventures, it seems you are well able to keep adversity in perspective and not let adversity stand in your way. I am sure one day we shall meet up on our respective travels.

Yours

Henrietta
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2015, 09:51:07 pm »

Dear Henrietta,
The Watercress line event looks set to be a fine evening, and if it was not for the unfortunate clash of dates we too would be visiting this, particularly as we have relations in that part of the country. Hopefully it will be successful and repeated later in the year, or possibly be a template for other preservatoin railways to follow. Indeed, I was wondering if a visit to the Ffestiniog Railway Victorian Weekend this autumn might be worthwhile. In any case, I hope you have a very enjoyable evening in April.

If you wish to review the happenings in Llandod for future reference, please see here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Llandrindod-Wells-Victorian-Week/129303850494593 and here http://www.victorianfestival.co.uk/, and to once again bring the disucssion back to the topic of glamping, it is lovely to see that in the last Sunday of the festival many groups bring along a very civilised picnic to the town green, with tressle tables adorened by delicate lace table cloths, multi-teer fine china cake stands and cut-glass wine glasses.

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:12:36 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2015, 04:42:48 am »

I have camped and glamped, I have traveled by bike with a tent strapped to the rack and by horseback between 3-4 star accommodation.  I have slept in tents, campers, hotels, all-inclusives, deserts and the middle of a park in Athens.  Accommodation is much like food.  Sometimes you want a hamburger and sometimes you want beef Wellington. 
henrietta Devereux
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2015, 12:33:57 pm »

it is lovely to see that in the last Sunday of the festival many groups bring along a very civilised picnic to the town green, with tressle tables adorened by delicate lace table cloths, multi-teer fine china cake stands and cut-glass wine glasses.

How wonderful it is to be at a proper al fresco meal with potted meat, freshly cut bread, salad and wine. In truth I have never permitted my cut glass wine glasses to leave home but occasionally we have had the good fortune to attend events appropriate to the use of my cake stands. A local emporium has a metal cake stand design I am very tempted with for everyday storage in the hamper.

I wonder if it will be possible to do a picnic at asylum.

I am sure Severn valley railway would be amenable to making at least one carriage available to steaminess if sufficient persons were inclined to book tickets to one of their dining events. As Miss Hez says sometimes a pressed meat slice between two slices of bread  is sufficient but the occasional beef wellington truly makes a memorable event. Appreciated all the more if it is not the common, everyday experience.

As someone who has sited a caravan in the middle of a field and attended an evening "do" in full evening dress I feel I should mention that some fellow campers have been known to make "remarks". Happily in a jocular manner. So I would suggest, like a punknic, glamping is merely bringing style (glamour) to an otherwise ordinary experience. Indeed if it were not with the prospect of charging an increased daily charge for a glamping experience would the term "glamping" be so widely known?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:02:58 pm by henrietta Devereux » Logged
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2015, 11:21:26 pm »

Enjoying the best of indoors and outdoors with your friends is rather like remolding the past and the future 'nearer to the heart's desire' which we do in Steampunk imaginary scenarios.  Weddings and picnics are ideal occasions (excuses) for creating a suitable setting and designing a special outfit (playing and dressing up), and if a steam train can be involved, so  much the better. The level of hardship would depend of the type of steaminess.  A Post-Apocalyptic picnic would be interesting to arrange. . . an Airship picnic with the people in the gondolas . . . a Diesel camp in an abandoned  smelting works . . . a Steam Gypsy Caravan holiday . . . so many ways to test out the new world and discover possible drawbacks before destroying the old. Ideally the mundane world would not be impinging with mockery and criticism! 

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2015, 11:26:38 pm »

I cannot 'Glamp' on purely physical grounds.
These knees and hips just couldn't take it anymore.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2015, 11:47:28 pm »

I have camped and glamped, I have traveled by bike with a tent strapped to the rack and by horseback between 3-4 star accommodation.  I have slept in tents, campers, hotels, all-inclusives, deserts and the middle of a park in Athens.  Accommodation is much like food.  Sometimes you want a hamburger and sometimes you want beef Wellington.  
What an adventurous life! After reading this I feel positively pedestrian...

(Snip)
I wonder if it will be possible to do a picnic at asylum.
I would have hoped this would be possible in the castle grounds; last year those with with event wrist-bands were being let directly through the gate rather than having to pass through the ticket office, so it should be possible to carry through the picnic wares.

(Snip)
I am sure Severn valley railway would be amenable to making at least one carriage available to steaminess if sufficient persons were inclined to book tickets to one of their dining events. As Miss Hez says sometimes a pressed meat slice between two slices of bread  is sufficient but the occasional beef wellington truly makes a memorable event. Appreciated all the more if it is not the common, everyday experience.
(Snip)
What a pleasant thought - possibly as a 'treat' in the run-up to Christmas?

Enjoying the best of indoors and outdoors with your friends is rather like remolding the past and the future 'nearer to the heart's desire' which we do in Steampunk imaginary scenarios.  Weddings and picnics are ideal occasions (excuses) for creating a suitable setting and designing a special outfit (playing and dressing up), and if a steam train can be involved, so  much the better. The level of hardship would depend of the type of steaminess.  A Post-Apocalyptic picnic would be interesting to arrange. . . an Airship picnic with the people in the gondolas . . . a Diesel camp in an abandoned  smelting works . . . a Steam Gypsy Caravan holiday . . . so many ways to test out the new world and discover possible drawbacks before destroying the old. Ideally the mundane world would not be impinging with mockery and criticism!  
Those scenarios are so evocative! I do like the thought of an airship picnic. I must admit I've always had a romanticised view of flying boats; flying down to some unihabited (prefereably tropical) island to enjoy a idilic isolated dinner party. Yes, more dieselpunk than steampunk, but the thought could be modified to an amphibious airship as from 'Stardust' etc. etc...

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:49:45 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2015, 11:53:27 pm »

I cannot 'Glamp' on purely physical grounds.
These knees and hips just couldn't take it anymore.
But if the accomodation (yurt, teepee or whatever) is already set up and ready for to move in? I believe the more upmarket ones are as luxurious and comfortable as a hotel room.

Yours,
Miranda.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: