The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 04:24:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: Glamorous Camping  , is it for you ?
yes - 13 (37.1%)
no - 7 (20%)
maybe - 4 (11.4%)
it would depend - 11 (31.4%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glamping - would you do it?  (Read 5519 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: January 06, 2015, 10:15:37 pm »

Glamping or Glamorous camping. Safari tent,  cabin,  caravan with some or all of the comforts of luxury or home. Does it appeal ?

Are you  a person  who prefers to  stay in a more traditional hotel/ motel  accommodation ?  Do you like to rough it in a regular canvas tent ?

or are you  the bush man type that starts your own fires and  sleeps under the stars?

http://www.classicglamping.co.uk/

http://www.glampingireland.ie/

http://www.canopycamping.co.nz/listings/

Steampunk intrepid exploration in a  hut /  tent or Dieselpunk  travel in a motorised home.

selectedgrub
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 10:29:18 pm »

"her upper lip curled in disdain"
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 10:36:40 pm »

"her upper lip curled in disdain"

I had you picked as a sleep under the stars guy 

or have you got soft  Cool
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 11:18:20 pm »

I'd rather be roughing it under canvas or in a caravan/motorhome if I wanted a bit of comfort or a hotel if I wanted/needed a proper bed. To me 'glamping' is cheating.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 11:22:07 pm »

I'd rather be roughing it under canvas or in a caravan/motorhome if I wanted a bit of comfort or a hotel if I wanted/needed a proper bed. To me 'glamping' is cheating.

a man  of principles eh.

None of this "put  up a bunting and call it glamping " carry on  for you !
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 11:55:04 pm »

Damned softies.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 12:17:12 am »

Isn't Glamping a fundamental part of the traditional Victorian expeditionary experience (as perceived by our modern lenses)?

Having your camp carried, put up and serviced by the worthy locals who might, with luck and gods will, become mildly more civilised by your presence and decency?

I admit it really doesn't appeal, the only semi-serviced canvas expedition I want to take part in is the marathon des sables (by my 45th birthday hopefully) and it'd probably be a push to call that glamping.

I can see why some people might like it, a more interesting version of the holiday let and seemingly a lot more visually interesting than the fields of green-white static caravans that blight our more picturesque regions. Not my bag though.

Madasasteamfish
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 12:58:20 am »

a man  of principles eh.

None of this "put  up a bunting and call it glamping " carry on  for you !

Exactly, but having grown up going on caravanning holidays I'm prepared to go without a lot.

Isn't Glamping a fundamental part of the traditional Victorian expeditionary experience (as perceived by our modern lenses)?

Having your camp carried, put up and serviced by the worthy locals who might, with luck and gods will, become mildly more civilised by your presence and decency?

To an extent it is, but remember that approach was largely limited to colonial administrators (taking their families into the foothills of the Himalayas with them) and 'gentlemen explorers' (surveyors mapping potential routes for roads, big game hunters and the like) rather than the actual pioneers, and it was ridiculed by contemporaries (I'll see if I can find an example).
rod-on
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 01:08:57 am »

Its the only way my wife will go camping!  She says she wants a holiday from cooking, cleaning, picking up things etc .... so .... why not?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 02:56:25 am »

There's no question glamping is very akin to British colonial expeditionary behaviour.  One one side some modern folk may say it doesn't appeal to them, that it is
too "cushy" (usually the same folk who NEVER have gone camping!), but on the other hand, that is exactly what "RV'ing" is in the first place. Electric Generator? Gas oven? Refrigerator? Microwave? Television? Shower?  All to be found in late 1970s American RV's.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:00:08 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 03:14:37 am »

My wife went to a new-age camping event with a friend and they glamped but not in the sense of luxury. They put up the tent and sunshade and then erected lanterns, hanging scarves, cushions, throw rugs and other decorations to make it more like a place to live in on safari, though it was actually no more than standard camping site 30 minutes from a major city.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
selectedgrub
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 03:23:11 am »

But with no satellite or microwave in sight?

There's no question glamping is very akin to British colonial expeditionary behaviour.  One one side some modern folk may say it doesn't appeal to them, that it is
too "cushy" (usually the same folk who NEVER have gone camping!), but on the other hand, that is exactly what "RV'ing" is in the first place. Electric Generator? Gas oven? Refrigerator? Microwave? Television? Shower?  All to be found in late 1970s American RV's.

They wanted to play, but didn't want to pay.
I'd say this topic is very geographically and socially pejorative.
I dislike the whole American RV culture thing.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:25:03 am by selectedgrub » Logged
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 03:38:48 am »

Not that year. It was at a Scouts camping ground and most people were camping on rough ground between trees. Nothing was formally marked out. No power to most sites. Their glamping added colour and life to the site compared to most campers. It was glamourous in that sense, not in the "I want to live like I am home" sense.

Sorontar
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 04:50:04 am »

They wanted to play, but didn't want to pay.
I'd say this topic is very geographically and socially pejorative.
I dislike the whole American RV culture thing.

Pejorative?  As in (Wiktionary)

Adjective: pejorative

1. Pejprative:
    expressing contempt or disapproval.
    ""permissiveness" is used almost universally as a pejorative term"
    synonyms:   disparaging, derogatory, denigratory, deprecatory, defamatory, slanderous, libelous, abusive, insulting

Really?  My only mention of America rests on my ignorance of camping customs around the world. I think you may have misunderstood my intentions. Also, please keep in mind that I was raised OUTSIDE of the United States, in Mexico, perhaps not far away enough, but I don't mean to claim "American superiority" in any sense of the word vis a vis the practice of camping. I was actually criticising the comparison between RV'ing and camping.  I think that RV'ing is not really "camping" in the military or wilderness senses of the word.  I do however, have, and wont apologise, for having the "American" RV experience with my grandparents as a child, travelling throughout the Western US through Northern and Central Mexico all the way down to Southern Mexico, including the border with Guatemala.  Glamping?  I don't know, but it was wonderful.  American custom or not.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:10:43 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 01:36:04 pm »

I am a civilized middle-aged man. I require a real bed and substantial shelter when I travel away from my home. "Glamping" holds no appeal to me.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 04:33:59 pm »

We have spent a lot of holidays camping, from very basic canvas roof over our heads, sleeping on the ground and portable cooking with no other facilities, to a fully equipped camper van where the tent is basically a shelter for dining and drinking in! However, sleeping on the cold ground at any month before August has lost its attractiveness and so glamping, offering proper camping beds, travelling chests that double as clothing drawer cabinets and all the other acoutrements of campaign furniture style is calling me with its siren song!

A suitable camper van would obviate the need for several hundred native attendants and allow for some cunning steampunk adaptations to provide comfort without too much effort! I could probably manage with just Igor...

Does that make me an RVer?

Cool

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 07:08:26 pm »

Welcome to the Good Sam's Club for RV enthusiasts (similar to the AAA for drivers).  I hope you packed the fishing poles.  Grin
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 07:43:12 pm »

Here is an interesting concept. A manly  compromise to the Canvas vs RV wrestle on the rugged terrain .

Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 07:58:17 pm »

Welcome to the Good Sam's Club for RV enthusiasts (similar to the AAA for drivers).  I hope you packed the fishing poles.  Grin

Well thank you good sir! I don't think we have a club dedicated to RVs or motor caravans as we might describe them. We have the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club as well as various esoteric combinations like the Canoe Camping Club. I guess that indicates that we don't have a great love affair with motorised recreational vehicles and the towed caravan is still the most popular unit, though thankfully declining now...

Marque clubs like the various Volkswagen transporter clubs form a much stronger basis for social RVing as long as you drive one of those types (and are willing to pay the significant 'scene tax'). Landrover owners also have their own club scene as do a few other marques. So the Good Sam(aritan) Club is a bit of a mystery for us and definitely part of the American Dream. Any other countries have something similar?

Yes, I have the fishing poles, bait, beer coolbox, barbecue and loungers...

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 08:06:43 pm »

Well thank you good sir! I don't think we have a club dedicated to RVs or motor caravans as we might describe them. We have the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club as well as various esoteric combinations like the Canoe Camping Club. I guess that indicates that we don't have a great love affair with motorised recreational vehicles and the towed caravan is still the most popular unit, though thankfully declining now...

Marque clubs like the various Volkswagen transporter clubs form a much stronger basis for social RVing as long as you drive one of those types (and are willing to pay the significant 'scene tax'). Landrover owners also have their own club scene as do a few other marques. So the Good Sam(aritan) Club is a bit of a mystery for us and definitely part of the American Dream. Any other countries have something similar?

Yes, I have the fishing poles, bait, beer coolbox, barbecue and loungers...

All of which will  make you eligible for entry to  the Sunseekers club
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 08:23:24 pm »

Here is an interesting concept. A manly  compromise to the Canvas vs RV wrestle on the rugged terrain .

Grin. I like this.  

Back in the 1970s and 80s, well before the advent of Internet, Good Sam's was known for offering road side assistance and for having a membership of thousands of businesses who would list themselves in a giant "phone book" style directory.  You could get all the maps and travel advice you needed.

I know Good Sam's extended into Canada (obviously), but also parts of Mexico - they were affiliated with resorts, hotels and the like who would also hold RV Park facilities, all the way to the Yucatan Peninsula.

There was in fact a "trail" preferred by American caravan clubs in Mexico.  In particular on the old main road to Central Mexico, the was this very picturesque 1940's Motel, that catered to the RV crowd, "Las Palmas", in a little industrial town called Matehuala, along the highway, in the Mexican desert, about half way between the border into Mexico city.  It was glamping in the sense they had small bungalows surrounding a "luxury lobby" and pool, with a restaurant that to date still serves food on white linen and the waiters are formally attired.  They have kept the 1940s/50s decor intact and they're still there...  A little "James Bond-ish".

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499417-d153678-Reviews-Las_Palmas_Midway_Inn-Matehuala_Central_Mexico_and_Gulf_Coast.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 08:38:54 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 10:43:17 pm »

Here is an interesting concept. A manly  compromise to the Canvas vs RV wrestle on the rugged terrain .

Grin. I like this.  

Back in the 1970s and 80s, well before the advent of Internet, Good Sam's was known for offering road side assistance and for having a membership of thousands of businesses who would list themselves in a giant "phone book" style directory.  You could get all the maps and travel advice you needed.

I know Good Sam's extended into Canada (obviously), but also parts of Mexico - they were affiliated with resorts, hotels and the like who would also hold RV Park facilities, all the way to the Yucatan Peninsula.

There was in fact a "trail" preferred by American caravan clubs in Mexico.  In particular on the old main road to Central Mexico, the was this very picturesque 1940's Motel, that catered to the RV crowd, "Las Palmas", in a little industrial town called Matehuala, along the highway, in the Mexican desert, about half way between the border into Mexico city.  It was glamping in the sense they had small bungalows surrounding a "luxury lobby" and pool, with a restaurant that to date still serves food on white linen and the waiters are formally attired.  They have kept the 1940s/50s decor intact and they're still there...  A little "James Bond-ish".

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g499417-d153678-Reviews-Las_Palmas_Midway_Inn-Matehuala_Central_Mexico_and_Gulf_Coast.html

Thank you for sharing that historic spot. New Zealand has a big gap that sorely needs filling for that  sort of tourist accommodation and business. 
 - Either as somewhere nice along the way or as a destination goal on a long  trip or tiki tour.

- a hobbit free zone
Madasasteamfish
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 12:04:29 am »

Here is an interesting concept. A manly compromise to the Canvas vs RV wrestle on the rugged terrain .

I like this, and would be willing to create/buy something like this (such as Mr Von Slatt's Steampunk school bus 'RV') as an alternative to a caravan/motorhome or camping since that's basically what it is (an old army Bedford would provide a suitable base for one I'm sure). But then again, I am the sort of person who would engage in an activity for the pleasure of it, as opposed to enable me to say I've done it, and despite people who do the reverse.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 12:18:03 am »

This vehicle is perfect. But surely we can keep some Steampunk style without laying ourselves open to the dread charge of Colonialism?  If we make our own tea? Self-sufficient and high-up enough so that nothing can be attracted by the warmth of the sleeping bag and crawl in during the night.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:21:45 am by Arabella Periscope » Logged

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 02:26:57 am »

This vehicle is perfect. But surely we can keep some Steampunk style without laying ourselves open to the dread charge of Colonialism?  If we make our own tea? Self-sufficient and high-up enough so that nothing can be attracted by the warmth of the sleeping bag and crawl in during the night.

Somewhere such as this. Just high enough up off the ground - but not too far

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: