The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 02:29:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Living the Grand Steampunk Life ! : how far do you take it?  (Read 757 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: January 01, 2015, 08:44:57 pm »

How  far do you take steampunk  in your everyday life.    Is an interest  or hobby ?   Do you attend steampunk events on a regular basis? Do you dress up?

Do you incorporate it  into your daily life with clothing and accessories?   Does your home decor have a steampunk theme  ? Do you  use it  as a business venture? Does it  flavour or colour other projects   you are involved in ?

Is there anyone out there who dares take it all the way??
Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:21:29 am »

I am not as into SP as some folks I know.  We make maybe one local event each month:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/264136873797644/ including SASS shoots wearing some of the same clothes.  The toys are louder though.   Wink

The next closest SP events are at least a 600 mile flight away.  It does not cost us much more money or time to attend the biggest and best SP events.  We attended a few cons including a few SteamCons but the activities seem to never change and be aimed at new folks.  We have taken the first two SteamPunk Cruises https://www.facebook.com/events/706168946102687/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming and had a great time with great people. 

Our home is not overly SP at least to the casual guest.  My lovely wife prohibits me from decorating with weapons and dead things or it would look much better.  Most SP vehicles just are not practical here.   Sad

-Karl
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 02:24:27 am »

Right I have a few dapper tweeds, that at a pinch may still fit, but I don't attend events, because of my current limitations. I have a few nice pieces of furniture, but as I rent, the house is quite standard. So in that way most people would score me very low no any scale, but in my heart I am a fanatic, the mixture of History science art is everything my life is about.
If the ifs and buts could be solved, how far would I take it? There would be no excess I would not visit.
The problem with a thread like this is it can become a 'I'm more than you' festival, but if people can be prepared to say which parts they don't follow, it does become interesting what they do manage to weave into their lives, and how.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 02:29:18 am »

I am not as into SP as some folks I know.  We make maybe one local event each month:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/264136873797644/ including SASS shoots wearing some of the same clothes.  The toys are louder though.   Wink

The next closest SP events are at least a 600 mile flight away.  It does not cost us much more money or time to attend the biggest and best SP events.  We attended a few cons including a few SteamCons but the activities seem to never change and be aimed at new folks.  We have taken the first two SteamPunk Cruises https://www.facebook.com/events/706168946102687/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming and had a great time with great people. 

Our home is not overly SP at least to the casual guest.  My lovely wife prohibits me from decorating with weapons and dead things or it would look much better.  Most SP vehicles just are not practical here.   Sad

I quite understand  your good lady wife's reluctance  towards weapons and taxidermy.

They do collect dust  in the crevices.

Mr John B

yes  , tthe threaded is intended  to discuss integration  of steampunk into one's  life style.

[ rather that a traditional punk head butt  match]
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 02:37:12 am »

I knew your intentions would be good, but on so many forums with less arfternoonified people, the really interesting people get stamped out by the mine's bigger than yours chaps.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 02:43:05 am »

BEING LOUD DOES NOT BY NECESSITY MAKE ONE RIGHT!!!!

Having  been an art Nouveau  fiend since a small child, steampunk has not been a large leap.  Though most of it is is faux nouveau .

[ most of it is is probably just faux pas]
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 03:25:04 am »

Even though I read a lot of victorian literature, for everything else my tastes run rather towards the medieval.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 03:34:09 am »

There is so much Faux Pas out there that it already qualifies as it's own artistic movement.

In other news, I really can't afford to take my SP as far as I could as a lifestyle.  Or better stated, as fast as I would want.  All my energy is focused on  fabrication at my SP business, and that is where you see the "fireworks," so to speak, though my business is now more of a hobby, thanks to a radical change in the American public's spending habits (I won't explain why - it gets political).

Outside of that, I am starting to dabble on the "threads aspect" of SP and I have two projects, one which is a fairly abandoned Steam project around Admiral Wilhelm's persona (that requires expensive military uniform apparel),  and the second is a very recent idea of mine, a "steam/diesel" scheme around a high altitude airship mechanic (luftschiffengel) persona, and inspired by the Last Exile animated movies.

The latter is starting to be assembled now, sartorially speaking, and I'm looking into taking advantage of the "diesel" nature of it to incorporate into my daily wardrobe (the quasi-Diesel nature of it makes it easier).  Sadly my wallet is so thin, that I have to take it very slowly (as in snail pace), spending much more time planning than doing anything...  

Oddly, the Luftschiffengel project is very practical, as some of the apparel would be useful for daily wear. So I came up with the idea of buying and making peaces one by one and wearing them.  This provides a justification for the expense as well as allowing me the time to improvise on the project.  The protracted development is resulting on an evolving plotline or background story for the persona.  So being the history buff I am that allows me to research on Steam Diesel alternative timelines (novel?  Perhaps if I share it to draft a graphical novel out of it?).  

The outfit will also by necessity be "convertible" from cold weather to hot weather, as the Luftshiffengel are supposed to work both at high altitude (cold/low pressure environment) as well as on the ground (por visits?). One of the advantages of slow progress in the project  Tongue

Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 06:20:46 am »

As pillars of the Wellington steampunk establishment, Mrs. Hudson (the younger) and I are often to be seen about the place in our finery.

I've worn full steampunkery to work a couple of times, but while I find it very comfortable to walk around in, it's less so for sitting at a desk all day.  But it can be done for special occasions, such as the walk through the building doing a last collection at the end of Movember.

Our residence - no stately home, alas - has a bedroom devoted entirely to Mrs. Hudson (the younger)'s sewing stash.  At a pinch things can be moved out, allowing the bed to be seen and used for its intended purpose, but most of the time the bed and floor are covered in various articles of fabric.  Much of our completed steampunk wardrobe also lives in there.

The lounge is becoming ever more steampunk/Victorian.  I have a ray gun displayed above the fireplace, and late last year we acquired a suitable wall unit to serve as a Cabinet of Curiosities, allowing us to display many interesting finds and objets d'art.  Pride of place goes to a mummified baby kraken I found on a beach a few months ago.  I must post a photo of him; he's quite sweet.

So we're not fulltime with 'the look', but we're working on it.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 08:52:52 am »

As pillars of the Wellington steampunk establishment, Mrs. Hudson (the younger) and I are often to be seen about the place in our finery.

I've worn full steampunkery to work a couple of times, but while I find it very comfortable to walk around in, it's less so for sitting at a desk all day.  But it can be done for special occasions, such as the walk through the building doing a last collection at the end of Movember.

Our residence - no stately home, alas - has a bedroom devoted entirely to Mrs. Hudson (the younger)'s sewing stash.  At a pinch things can be moved out, allowing the bed to be seen and used for its intended purpose, but most of the time the bed and floor are covered in various articles of fabric.  Much of our completed steampunk wardrobe also lives in there.

The lounge is becoming ever more steampunk/Victorian.  I have a ray gun displayed above the fireplace, and late last year we acquired a suitable wall unit to serve as a Cabinet of Curiosities, allowing us to display many interesting finds and objets d'art.  Pride of place goes to a mummified baby kraken I found on a beach a few months ago.  I must post a photo of him; he's quite sweet.

So we're not fulltime with 'the look', but we're working on it.

Yes you must show us your baby photos  .  What manner of curiosities do you  have? Our fine country does have some interesting  flotsam on the beaches
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 01:20:34 am »

I'm pretty far out on the full-time-Steampunk tip.  Except, still not really a Steampunk.

But anyway, I have the full-time wardrobe that I wear full-time, I live in a house with other Steampunks who don't consider themselves Steampunks even when we sit in our library decorated with Victorian-era paraphernalia, curiosities, antique guns, suits of armor smoking pipes, snorting snuff, and drinking absinthe, in a house that is predominately Steampunk-decorated.  They dress fairly Steampunky all the time as well, though some are a smidge more occupationally limited than I, but when we roll out, we roll out to the 9's.
The extended family is the same, when we roll deep.
Though we've slacked on it, we still use Victorian-era cant as slang in our daily parlance, we attend Steampunk events when they're about (or hell, we HOST them often enough), and yearly roll as a crew to the Steampunk World's Fair (which claims to be the largest ticketed Steampunk event in the world), and these days most of the crew are judges in the costume contests, vending, hosting panels and whatnot.  Last year the whole costume contest was judged, hosted and MC'd by my housemates and close friends.
Which makes sense, because though I myself tattoo, my household has professionals in vintage fashion and stage costuming, all of whom steer towards the Steamy for their livings.

So, I've the clothes, the house, the crew, the events, friends and housemates 'in the business', and yeah, it flavors a great deal of what I do and what my peeps do a great deal of the time.
Still, I feel like it only reaches "pretty Steampunk, often enough" without the motivation to take it further.  There are plenty of folk out there whom I feel are really committed to The Thing in ways we're not.  Like 'for real' Steampunks. >shrugs<

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 03:00:12 am »

I'm pretty far out on the full-time-Steampunk tip.  Except, still not really a Steampunk.

But anyway, I have the full-time wardrobe that I wear full-time, I live in a house with other Steampunks who don't consider themselves Steampunks even when we sit in our library decorated with Victorian-era paraphernalia, curiosities, antique guns, suits of armor smoking pipes, snorting snuff, and drinking absinthe, in a house that is predominately Steampunk-decorated.  They dress fairly Steampunky all the time as well, though some are a smidge more occupationally limited than I, but when we roll out, we roll out to the 9's.
The extended family is the same, when we roll deep.
Though we've slacked on it, we still use Victorian-era cant as slang in our daily parlance, we attend Steampunk events when they're about (or hell, we HOST them often enough), and yearly roll as a crew to the Steampunk World's Fair (which claims to be the largest ticketed Steampunk event in the world), and these days most of the crew are judges in the costume contests, vending, hosting panels and whatnot.  Last year the whole costume contest was judged, hosted and MC'd by my housemates and close friends.
Which makes sense, because though I myself tattoo, my household has professionals in vintage fashion and stage costuming, all of whom steer towards the Steamy for their livings.

So, I've the clothes, the house, the crew, the events, friends and housemates 'in the business', and yeah, it flavors a great deal of what I do and what my peeps do a great deal of the time.
Still, I feel like it only reaches "pretty Steampunk, often enough" without the motivation to take it further.  There are plenty of folk out there whom I feel are really committed to The Thing in ways we're not.  Like 'for real' Steampunks. >shrugs<

So you have no sword swallowers, fire eaters or snake oil merchants amoung your merry band of vagabonds ?

not even a midget or 2 ?
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 06:40:56 pm »

A constant WIP on my humble abode.

Getting there slowly but surely  Undecided

Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 07:31:55 pm »

So you have no sword swallowers, fire eaters or snake oil merchants amoung your merry band of vagabonds ?

not even a midget or 2 ?

Lol!  Not in the immediate social family, no.  I could throw a couple of Tribal Fusion bellydancers and burlesque performers at ya from the core group...actually, wait!  Yeah, two of my housemates are pretty close friends with the folks from Old City Sideshow out of Philly, so though they're only friendly acquaintances to me personally, I COULD claim a sword-swallower.  To fetch you a fire-eater, I'd have to talk to an ex girlfriend who's in a fire performance troupe called Dance Afire or something equally unimaginative, and at least one of those cats dresses fairly Steampunk.  Goes by Tequila Sean or something.  Actually, wait yet again:  again, if I rustled up friends from Philly, I could get a fire-performer (don't know if she eats it specifically, but...) who's also a silk-performer and aerialist-slash-contortionist.

I WISH I knew a 'genuine' snake-oil salesman! 

Total nil on the dwarfs though.

Hey Hurricane, wanna make and sell some snake oil and move to DC?  Bring dwarfs, if you have them.  Smiley
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 09:06:17 pm »

You should look for a "Have dwarfs, will travel" ad on Craigslist.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 09:47:33 pm »

Well first you'd have to define 'Steampunk'....In my front room I've got a lathe with milling attachment for engineering (along with the parts for engines I'm building or restoring), At the moment on the table are parts for a magnetometer (plus soldering iron and multimeter) and my microscope. Yes I'm the 'mad inventor' type!

When I can find my tin of paint stripper all the pipework in my flat will be polished copper.

I don't go for the 'top hat' look so am often dressed in the clothes I wear to steampunk events ie cord trousers, tweed jacket and flat cap.

My bookshelves are crammed with esoteric subjects and science / engineering books, and I also have everything I might need to mount an expedition at short notice.

So how would I rate?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 12:28:21 am »

Well first you'd have to define 'Steampunk'....In my front room I've got a lathe with milling attachment for engineering (along with the parts for engines I'm building or restoring), At the moment on the table are parts for a magnetometer (plus soldering iron and multimeter) and my microscope. Yes I'm the 'mad inventor' type!

When I can find my tin of paint stripper all the pipework in my flat will be polished copper.

I don't go for the 'top hat' look so am often dressed in the clothes I wear to steampunk events ie cord trousers, tweed jacket and flat cap.

My bookshelves are crammed with esoteric subjects and science / engineering books, and I also have everything I might need to mount an expedition at short notice.

So how would I rate?

Maybe a magnitude  6.5 on the richter scale.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: