The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 11:59:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Plot Ideas  (Read 2150 times)
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 11:19:11 am »

In their quest to find the northwest passage in 1762, the crew of the Octavius happen upon the Fortress of Solitude

I like that. I've been working on a treatment for the fate of the Tartarus, the third ship (along with the Erebus and the Terror) of the ill-fated Franklin expedition. In short, they fell through a Symmes passage and are now in Pellucidar.

Working title is "Fort Tartarus."

Sounds wonderful Cheesy

To add another one to the pot, Hugh Hefner becomes the first private owner of a time machine and sends back a group of his bunnies for a photoshoot. They and the film crew become stranded in the 1870's.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 05:34:48 am »

OK, here's one - again on the Martian theme others have mentioned.

The Martians are friendly and come to Earth bringing, among other things, penicillin.

Wells, as I recall, was a little vague about the date of the 'invasion', putting it 'in the last years of the nineteenth century'.  But if it had been before 1861, Prince Albert's typhoid could have been treated (yes, there are other theories about what he died of).  He might have lived another 30 or 40 years, sparing Victoria, and England, their prolonged period of mourning. Aniline dyes were discovered during Victoria's reign; imagine the colourful garments a happily-married Queen might have worn and their influence on fashion generally  (Victorians liked colour, but Victoria's mourning dress put a bit of a damper on things).  Albert was interested in engineering projects; under his patronage the London sewage system might have been constructed earlier and with fewer disagreements after the Great Stink of 1858.

There must be more ...

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 06:47:04 am »

A crew of vikings searching for a new homeland across the ocean are picked up by an autonomous alien spacecraft gathering seed material to terraform and colonize other planets.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 06:36:25 pm »

A crew of vikings searching for a new homeland across the ocean are picked up by an autonomous alien spacecraft gathering seed material to terraform and colonize other planets.

Your crossing dangerous territory there, that looks like an episode of StarGate!

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 09:01:39 pm »

A butcher, a baker and a candlestick maker are written into a homoerotic novel.

The nursery rhyme itself is homoerotic enough, it wouldn't be much of a stretch from there. Come on, 'rub a dub dub, three men in a tub'? I've met bananas straighter than that.
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 07:59:52 pm »

Your crossing dangerous territory there, that looks like an episode of StarGate!
Indeed.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2015, 02:42:54 pm »

A real life event gave me an idea for the start of a story and the basis of the plot.

Many years ago, when I lived in suburbia, my back yard was a busy highway near an intersection.  At 3 AM, I was awoken by the sound of a VERY LOUD crash at the intersection.  After calling 911, I got dressed and went to see what had happened.  A medical records truck had been t-boned by another truck, splitting it wide open.  Fortunately, no one was hurt, but medical records were everywhere. I helped a little to pick up some of the blowing papers.  This is were real life ends.

In the plot, one of the records picked up would show that Elvis was alive or Kennedy or space aliens or something of the sort.  The powers that be, learning that TOP SECRET info had been released, go after anyone and everyone on the scene of the crash in an attempt to stop the release of the info. 

gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2015, 01:12:33 pm »

Instant story idea: our world has already been modified by time traveller's in the past, holding back scientific knowledge by causing the Dark Ages. A plucky Steampunk / Victorian adventurer or adventuress has to restore the timeline to what it should be, before it is too late, and all trace of Steampunk inventions disappear from the 19th century.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2015, 01:30:41 pm »

Some time in the future after the collapse of civilization.  People use the steampunk gadgets as material sources, taking the gears and other parts and use them to make real working items. Grin
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 05:52:33 pm »

Some time in the future steampunk gadgets are real, working, and useful items.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2015, 01:29:46 am »

In 1888, as the Whitechapel district is terrorized by a ripper killer, London is hit by a rare tornado. The string of murders in London comes to an end. In the Emerald City of Oz, a string of murders begins.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2015, 06:12:38 am »

Time travel is not only easy, but has been done countless times. The problem is, is that displacing oneself in the fourth dimension, displacement also happens in the other three - in other words, you add up the real speed of the earth turning, moving in orbit, the sun moving around the milky way, the milky way through the local group, etc., and you have impromptu space travel. A few seconds, and you're already past Mars...Wink

By carefully calculating the speeds of each, and projecting the direction, one can (a train leaves Chicago at relativistic speeds...Wink travel to the stars (just not all of them).

Problem is, most time machine owners die of asphyxiation/explosive decompression/baking/freezing in deep space. Until 1 intrepid explorer makes an airtight model...Wink

Ok, I've already used this one, but it could lend itself to a good Steampunk yarn...Wink
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 04:32:05 pm »

Queen Victoria abdicates and marries Karl Marx in a secret ceremony. they move into the slums of Whitechapel and take in a lodger who they discover is Jack the Ripper.

The Beagle sinks with all hands so 'the origin of species' is never written.

Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 08:02:38 pm »

" I love the smell of steam powered dirigibles in the morning'!
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2015, 12:59:55 pm »

isaac Newton's theological writngs were discovered to be as useful a basis for psychic powers as his mathematical writings were for physics. A parallel "Magickal" revolution suppliments the Industrial revolution through the 18th century.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 05:29:50 pm »

A secret group release time travelling Kraken, Edison dies and Tesla takes control, a Kraken destroys the 'wright flyer' and airships are the primary air transport. The secret of eternal youth (shinyness) is imparted to all brass cogs,

Does it sound good so far?
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 05:47:27 am »

isaac Newton's theological writngs were discovered to be as useful a basis for psychic powers as his mathematical writings were for physics. A parallel "Magickal" revolution suppliments the Industrial revolution through the 18th century.

Gregory Keyes visited this as a series, of which one was 'Newton's Cannon'(sp?) . Still, it's a great idea.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:49:29 am by pakled » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 10:21:06 pm »

Piers Anthony's On a Pale Horse series mentions Newton's work in describing the laws of magic.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2015, 12:59:22 pm »

I never claim to be original, just random.

(and thank you, I now have a few more titiles for my to-be-read list)
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2015, 01:06:14 pm »

Okay, this is a plot idea which I may use for my NaNoWriMo book this November: It is the modern world, our society, and some big corporation decides, because of the popularity of Steampunk, to build a steam park. But things begin to go wrong with it from the start, and sabotage is feared. Then, when they have got it up and running, steam inventions which should not be able to function suddenly begin working, as if the laws of physics have changed...
   I don't want to reveal anything else of the idea, just in case somebody out there might actually read it someday. And the ideas for it are still germinating in my mind.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2015, 04:11:19 am »

I had one (not steampunk) about China taking over, and we have to sign a treaty banning us from space (thus creating conflict and tension), so we have to 'hack' space travel.
gaslampfantasy
Deck Hand

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2015, 01:33:42 pm »

Elizabethan superheroes, led by a magic-using Dr John Dee - no, hang on, that's a novel I'm supposed to be working on...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: