The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 07:36:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: If History Had Taken a Different Turn
YES - 13 (59.1%)
NO - 1 (4.5%)
MAYBE - 8 (36.4%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did the Vikings Have Steampunk Potential ???  (Read 7156 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2016, 01:37:41 am »

The small mountain village looked very peaceful from the distance, but I knew nothing to be more misleading. Last winter the northerners had come with their ships sailing like Dragons flying through the sky. You see, unlike pirates that only target other aircrafts, the Vilings plunder ships and villages and cities alike. There is no stopping them. You can't build wall high enough to protect yourself from the fire and steel they bring. Their ships have no engines but are powered by the men themselves, they row through the clouds carried by a single balloon, which makes them more silent than any other aircraft. And more dangerous.

wonderfully descriptive
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2016, 10:42:51 am »

That all works great untill one of the vikings stands up and then punctures the balloon with his helmet horns.

Viking helmets didnt have horns, but the image is too funny not to roll with it.

Ah, feel free to use the text if you want to.
[/quote]

Sounds like a Vickie the Viking plot (for those of you who heard of such cartoons).

Bines
Gunner

« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2016, 02:53:17 am »

If not them, this hoard looks kind of SP.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/03/160323-vikings-galloway-hoard-treasure-scotland-archaeology/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20160323news-vikinghoard&utm_campaign=Content&sf23058391=1
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2016, 11:10:47 pm »

An interesting  hoard
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2016, 11:19:48 pm »

May i interest you in this quite steamy interpretation of Skidbladnir, legendary boat of Frey, one of the twin god and goddess of nature.:
http://s410.photobucket.com/user/Mr-Marx/media/29-12-2013/IMG_2967_zps0cd9255e.jpg.html

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2016, 11:24:21 pm »

That is impressive .
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2016, 11:25:30 pm »

Well it's been some time since we've had Steampunk Batman...

http://news.toyark.com/2015/08/04/new-play-arts-variant-steampunk-batman-images-172201

and somebody just came up with Viking Batman...

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8lvAm

So I guess it's just a matter of time before someone comes up with Steampunk Viking Batman  Tongue

Grin
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2016, 09:15:16 am »

Barnabas Collins also had viking origins.

The Viking batman thing brings up  inappropriate visuals of an Aryan army officer .
carstairs
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2016, 09:55:11 pm »

I watched a program on BBC that was looking into the possibility that Vikings reached the New World,  North America via Scotland, Iceland, Greenland and onto Nova Scotia.  Now imagine Vikings had colonised America 500 years before Columbus,  establishing a trade route that with a fair crossing could traverse New found land to Scotland/ Scandinavia in two months vis Greenland and then Iceland.
 The vikings had strong trading links with one of the most technological civilizations of its time- the Byzantine and Baghdad caliphates. Drawing upon ancient Greek experiments of Steam Engines, as used for automatic doors in the Library of Alexandria and through trading to the far east such a gunpowder, , what if those ideas reached Viking North America via say a inovative Viking trader, or warrior, then Viking colonies, far from the control of Scandinavian kings could have developed an advanced metalergy on par with the medieval world.
  Now the industrial era began in England due to relative political stability in the 18th Century, when other European Nations were undergoing various political turmoil. IF and it's a big if, the Viking colonies in The American Atlantic seaboard had a similar stability and a large enough population then by the 1 500 ' the first steam powered Viking
Long boats began traversing the North Atlantic and up river into what we would call the Eastern United States and Canada.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2016, 07:32:29 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
A Viking link to the Americas?
I've long thought Maine Coon cats were the living proof of Viking activity in the New World.

We know that Rus warriors brought Angora cats home with them from their service in Byzantium, hence the ancestry of the Norwegian and Siberian Forest cats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_cat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Coon
"The generally accepted theory among breeders is that the Maine Coon is descended from the pairings of local short-haired domestic cats and long-haired breeds brought overseas by English seafarers (possibly by Captain Charles Coon) or 11th-century Norsemen.[9][10] The connection to the Norsemen is seen in the strong resemblance of the Maine Coon to the Norwegian Forest Cat, another breed that is said to be a descendant of cats that traveled with the Norsemen.[11][12]"

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
poisonpearl
Deck Hand
England England

Ablutions expert....part time poisoner

strangebrewsoap
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2016, 10:34:04 am »

I've been thinking about this recently.

Over the years I have become very much entranced by my Nordic heritage, and was thinking about incorporating Viking elements within Steampunk costumery.

If I work something out I'll post pictures

It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2016, 08:19:04 pm »

I studied Viking sagas in the 1st year of my archaeology degree and was always rather enjoyed the Vinland sagas. I see no real reason to doubt that the Vikings visited North America given the distance from Greenland and so on but I especially like the idea of cats as proof, I'm inordinately fond of Maine Coons.

I don't know any Norwegian Forest Cats personally, but if they are anything like Maine Coons in personality then they would be very welcome on a longship (so companionable! so warm!) and incredible efficient at keeping the vermin at bay (I know a house cat Maine Coon who once escaped for 15 mins, having never been outside before. In that time he killed 6 rats and lined them up on his owners doorstep as a present...)

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2016, 12:51:29 am »

I expect the Main Coon Cats telepathically controlled their human minons to bring them tot he new world :-)

Our prior Vet had several Main  Coons, the Smallest was named Red Hook and appeared to be the size of a fox!
He was the runt of the litter and only wieghed in at 18 pounds. His brother wieghedf in at 25 pounds and his hobby
was to leap out of trees to scare the family horses.

Back to vikings, there have been "finds" of a sort of tapered hole drilled into rocks in the Upper Wisconsin  Dells, near the
headwaters of the Mississippi river. These holes were found along the coast of "Vineland" and the Fjords of the Vikings.
They are rather unique  in that they were used only by the Vikings for easily removable "anchore pegs" that could be popped out with a "release string" without having to leave the boat.

Then there are the blond-haired, blue eyed Cherokee in the southern USA, dating back well over 400 years.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2016, 01:02:43 am »

They are hypothesis than the norse go as far than the nunavik where they traded metal nails with the denovians in exchange of narwhal horns they then sell  to european as belonging to unicorns.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2016, 08:33:08 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
They are hypothesis than the norse go as far than the nunavik where they traded metal nails with the denovians in exchange of narwhal horns they then sell  to european as belonging to unicorns.

Denovians or Denisovians?
There's an intriguing collection of narwhal horns in San Marco's, in Venice.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2016, 01:04:25 am »

Then there are the blond-haired, blue eyed Cherokee in the southern USA, dating back well over 400 years.

yhs
prof marvel

That's just the Visigothic presence of the Spanish Conquistadores. There plenty of blond blue eyed Mexicans if you know where to look for them. My best buddy in Highschool was blond blue eyed and perfectly white - he was all Spanish and Mexican. I also had a most terrible crush for a girl in highschool who would easily pass for a Scandinavian lass - she was all Mexican and Cuban - and my best buddy took her as girlfriend. I never forgave him for that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: