The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 04:01:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: If History Had Taken a Different Turn
YES - 13 (59.1%)
NO - 1 (4.5%)
MAYBE - 8 (36.4%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did the Vikings Have Steampunk Potential ???  (Read 7169 times)
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 01:10:50 pm »

Really interesting discussion, I shall follow with interest.
Perhaps if Vikings had managed to harness geothermal energy their settlement of Greenland could have continued into the 'little ice age'.

On a completely different note, Ergi by Piratessan produced a Sleipnir lolita dress, which I think could make an excellent basis for a Norsepunk outfit:
https://www.facebook.com/ErgiByPiratessan/photos/pb.202090606256.-2207520000.1419422622./10152849285951257/?type=1&theater

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 01:30:05 am »

Working on a steampunk airship using a Viking longship as the gondola.  I will be posting pictures in the Tactile section as it progresses.

First two pictures up at http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,44478.0.html
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 02:14:17 am by Maets » Logged

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 04:17:36 am »

Viking airships, fortress castles  and Valhalla have strong  steampunk  / diesel punk potential

Imagine a viking flying boat/ float plane
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 08:49:16 pm »

Could you make a hammet able to shoot lightning by placing a super-powered van der graaf generator inside?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 12:46:47 am »

Viking airship completed.  Looks pretty steampunk to me.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2015, 02:19:58 am »

Indeed it does ...By Thor's hammer  !!!

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2015, 10:58:42 pm »

You know, if you europeanised a bit a corean turtle ship ,you obtained something pretty close to a viking ironclad.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 02:25:49 am »

You reminded me. There is a great story in one of the Sagas of the first pilgrimage to Rome from Iceland after they converted to Christianity. Though their Idea of Pilgrimage was a little different to what we would understand.
The longship got into the med after some adventures and they came across an Arab dhow which towered over them being four decks high. So the Vikings rowed around it trying to work out how to attack it. Eventually they took down the sails soaked them in water so that they could not be set on fire and with their shields built a protective roof over their ship. Then they went in, hauling themselves alongside while the Arabs fired at them from above. The Vikings cut a hole in the side of the Dhow and took it by fighting up within the Arab Ship.

After that they saw a town made of stone buildings, which as they had not seen Stone buildings before they presumed must be Rome and their pilgrimage ended when they looted the town and went home with the booty. How about that for a pilgrimage?
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 09:33:43 pm »

The Viking longboat gondola looks amazing! (and pretty Steampunk to me too)

I love Viking sagas and I had not heard of that one before, but it's fantastic! Next time I'm in the library I'll have to see if we have a copy on the translation so I can read it in full. Do you happen to know the name?
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 01:40:50 am »

I find the idea of Nordic-derived Steampunk to be entirely plausible. Technology undertaken via religious beliefs might have resulted in electrical-based advances, while secular technology might have used geothermals/steam as their basis.

Regardless, I see their transportation advances taking them upwards (aeroships) rather than downwards (submersibles), although admittedly submersibles would likely have followed. Aeroships would have provided them with range and some tactical advantages (firing on monasteries and villages from above before descending for plunder), while  submersibles' main attraction would be stealth.

I highly recommend the webpage of this wonderful lady (http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/), with special emphasis on articles dealing with "viking" (it's a verb, not a noun--at least to the people themselves) cosmology. Examining their worldviews (for example, while they did think the earth was flat, they also fully expected to find land on the other side of the Atlantic) might help the aspiring author/world builder grasp the hows and whys for the Northmen developing a Steampunk level of technology.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2015, 03:44:30 am »

The Viking longboat gondola looks amazing! (and pretty Steampunk to me too)

Thanks

How about this?

Iceland to build a Norse Temple!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/03/iceland-norse-temple_n_6601236.html

Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 12:14:12 am »

Vikings were sailpunks & oarspunks- it was there victims who were steamed...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2015, 05:00:55 am »

Yes the Vikings were punks on the rampage.

Even  Johnny  Rotten would have hid.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2015, 01:51:27 am »

Johnny Rotten SHOULD hide...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2015, 08:34:03 am »

Johnny Rotten SHOULD hide...

you have a point there
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 03:35:31 pm »

'Johnny Rotten', 'Sid Vicious'..... rather tame compared to Viking names like 'Erick Bloodaxe' ?

So the Vikings were definitely 'punk' but you have to look at some of their graffiti in the Orkney's to find how 'Steamy' they were....
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 06:53:07 pm »

They were not punk!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 01:53:58 am »

'Johnny Rotten', 'Sid Vicious'..... rather tame compared to Viking names like 'Erick Bloodaxe' ?

So the Vikings were definitely 'punk' but you have to look at some of their graffiti in the Orkney's to find how 'Steamy' they were....

from what is said on the graffiti - even goats weren't safe
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2015, 03:51:33 pm »

Netcromancy !!!!

I just stumble on this Facebook game who cried to be included in this thread with his cannons and dirigibles.

https://apps.facebook.com/nordsheroes/?fb_source=sidebar_bookmark
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2016, 04:25:13 am »

With some wintry Northern Hemisphere inspiration  , would a  Valhalarian   Beer Hall and bonfire be  the way to spend seasonal celebrations
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2016, 05:08:08 am »

But Steampunk being a roughly 19th Century affair,  would Viking Steampunk not be more of a Romantic revival,  rather than the original article?  I mean, Mr Atterton made the case that some folkloric costume would not lend itself to Steampunk, on account of it not being related to the 19th Century, but much earlier...

Close to the 19th Century, there were Germanic-revival philosophies  admittedly with  very dark overtones,  such as Odinism and Wotanism. And there were the works by Wagner, so plenty of romanticized philosophy in the 19th Century (again,  admittedly crossing dangerous philosophical territory).

Edited for typos
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:40:06 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2016, 05:31:10 am »

But Steampunk being a roughly 19th Century affair,  would Viking Steampunk not be more of a Romantic revival,  rather than the original article?  I mean,  Mr Atterton made the case that some folkloric costume would not lend itself to Steampunk,  in account of it not being related to the 19th Century, but much earlier...

Close to the 19th Century, there were Germanic-revival philosophies in the 19th Century,  admittedly with  very dark overtones,  such as Odinism and Wotanism. And there were the works by Wagner,  so plenty of romanticized philosophy in the 19th Century (again,  admittedly crossing dangerous philosophical territory).

Things Viking and Gothic did have a revival in the  18th  and 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_revival

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2016, 06:13:25 am »

Valkyries!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand