The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 12:59:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: If History Had Taken a Different Turn
YES - 13 (59.1%)
NO - 1 (4.5%)
MAYBE - 8 (36.4%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did the Vikings Have Steampunk Potential ???  (Read 6923 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: December 19, 2014, 06:03:15 pm »

Inspired by the "Medieval Thread" and the invasion of Viking media attention and film projects, fashion and art statements, lifestyle trends

Is there room for Viking , Nordic or Norsepunk?  If a Berserker had taken home an engine from his "tour" of Asia  or  stumbled on a way to harness the Icelandic geothermals,  would the world be a different place today?

jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 06:41:53 pm »

Well after taking a few magic mushrooms the berserks might have produced a few psychedelic runes like this:-

Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 07:29:31 pm »

Well that makes ME wanna kill everyone around me, nibble on their corpses, and then frustrated that there aren't more lives to end, cut myself repeatedly and wrestle trees and boulders.

Actually it doesn't.  But it kinda makes me wanna eat magic mushrooms and sail to Iceland. Smiley

Also, Bjork.

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:11:02 pm »

If you search for vikingpunk, you should find our old thread about it.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 08:27:40 pm »

If you search for vikingpunk, you should find our old thread about it.

Not in the  BG search engine , but it is on google.

Alas  while the  magnificent ideas remain , most of the images are lost.

It was an interesting read.

Long ship zeppelins
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 08:37:08 pm »

Long ship zeppelins

Actually something I am working on for my next airship build.

Watched "How to Tame Your Dragon 2" last night.  Rather steamy.

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 10:37:30 am »

But it kinda makes me wanna eat magic mushrooms and sail to Iceland. Smiley

watch out man,  stay away from the brown acid ....

Like, wow man.... yeahhhhh ... Iceland! Reykyavik, is the Capital of Iceland....

yhs
prof ferguson

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 02:13:31 pm »

Well after taking a few magic mushrooms the berserks might have produced a few psychedelic runes like this:-

or been compelled  by the spiritual enlightenment of this mystical vision :

Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 02:14:23 pm »

Just my two pence but I don't see the developing of Viking-Nordic 'technology' being driven by other needs than improved metallurgy to produce better tools, armor and weapons or applied to further exploration-exporting of their culture (i.e. better boats).

Geothermal resources might have been more applicable to housing and agriculture demands to make living in such a region less taxing but can't see steam technology 'blossoming' from such.

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 02:44:17 pm »

Just my two pence but I don't see the developing of Viking-Nordic 'technology' being driven by other needs than improved metallurgy to produce better tools, armor and weapons or applied to further exploration-exporting of their culture (i.e. better boats).

Geothermal resources might have been more applicable to housing and agriculture demands to make living in such a region less taxing but can't see steam technology 'blossoming' from such.

The philosophical answer is the question , what spurs anyone on with the developments that generate  bigger leaps in technology. Is it a blinding vision  and moment of clarity  in the early hours of the morning. Necessity  giving birth to invention. Autistic focus and determination.

Many Viking inventions  sparked the modern  technologies we take for granted  today.  It could be that someone curious did discover  the qualities of steam  either in Iceland or  in the toys of foreign courts;    were  then brushed aside as mad or bad as oft happens to men and women who are "before their time".

Medieval fortress castles that sprung across Europe,  Britain and the Middle East were a Norman / Viking invention.
Global travel
Nautical  technology
Measurements
Skiing
Metal work
Warp weaving looms & other textile.
Compass
Comb

In what direction culd steam have taken these development  and  how would our world look today if steam had become viable in that era?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:46:21 pm by Hurricane Annie » Logged
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 07:46:00 pm »

Closest I've seen to Viking Steampunk is a short series by Harry Harrison...The Hammer and the Cross, though it's as much religion vs religion...fun either way.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 08:13:07 pm »

watch out man,  stay away from the brown acid ....

Like, wow man.... yeahhhhh ... Iceland! Reykyavik, is the Capital of Iceland....

yhs
prof ferguson

DUDE!  When you close your eyes, you don't even NEED a ship!  Check it out, I'm taking the rainbow ether-bridge to clockwork Valhalla RIGHT now!  ...it's full of beer and hottie valkyries who all look like Bjorks...ride the world snake...ride the lightning of the Tesla Mjolnir!

But anyway, some of these recent posts beg the question: Does Steampunk necessarily need steam tech to BE Steampunk?
My answer would be 'no', and Tesla/Edison electromagnetic tech would be the example I'd set as my primary premise.  Secondarily I'd set forth clockwork tech.  Both of which are commonly lumped in to that-which-is-Steampunk.

Mentioned above, there are some in the scientific community who believe they've evidence supporting the possibility that Norsefolk invented an early electro-magnetic compass.  I would imagine that Viking Steampunk would revolve more around electromagnetic power than steam.  Some Red-haired, Blue-eyed, Thor-worshipping lightning-obsessed Viking Tesla had a meeting of the minds with some Arab Edison when he'd gone a-viking and came home to the Lands of the Ice and Snow to build Cap'n Nemo-style electric longships that fought Krakens (The Kraken being a beast with origins in Norse Mythology specifically) with gear-powered oars replacing manual labor, electromagnetic gloves and hammers that returned when thrown like Thor's, All-Seeing Odin's Eyes that are some sort of round magnetic super-compasses, etc.

Also, clockwork Ravens, cuz I want them.

And if they're Pseudo-Victorian Vikings, tubs and tubs of moustache wax, and everybody is a beard-and-moustache world champion. 

(that guy was actually a Norwegian, apparently)

Also, Technoviking.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 12:19:13 am »

watch out man,  stay away from the brown acid ....

yhs
prof ferguson

DUDE!  When you close your eyes, you don't even NEED a ship!  Check it out, I'm taking the rainbow ether-bridge to clockwork Valhalla RIGHT now!  ...it's full of beer and hottie valkyries who all look like Bjorks...ride the world snake...ride the lightning of the Tesla Mjolnir!

But anyway, some of these recent posts beg the question: Does Steampunk necessarily need steam tech to BE Steampunk?
My answer would be 'no', and Tesla/Edison electromagnetic tech would be the example I'd set as my primary premise.  Secondarily I'd set forth clockwork tech.  Both of which are commonly lumped in to that-which-is-Steampunk.

Mentioned above, there are some in the scientific community who believe they've evidence supporting the possibility that Norsefolk invented an early electro-magnetic compass.  I would imagine that Viking Steampunk would revolve more around electromagnetic power than steam.  Some Red-haired, Blue-eyed, Thor-worshipping lightning-obsessed Viking Tesla had a meeting of the minds with some Arab Edison when he'd gone a-viking and came home to the Lands of the Ice and Snow to build Cap'n Nemo-style electric longships that fought Krakens (The Kraken being a beast with origins in Norse Mythology specifically) with gear-powered oars replacing manual labor, electromagnetic gloves and hammers that returned when thrown like Thor's, All-Seeing Odin's Eyes that are some sort of round magnetic super-compasses, etc.

Also, clockwork Ravens, cuz I want them.

Norway is making way in the oil industry. Whether Steam or Diesel punk could be another question.  

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 04:58:48 am »

Have another look at that second last photo.   Grin
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 05:18:40 am »

Have another look at that second last photo.   Grin

What did you see?

Or was the mushrooms  Wink
jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 10:34:44 am »

Aha, now it is pointed out I can also see it was produced by our man in Havana.

Vacuum cleaner or Nuclear military factory?
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 01:14:03 pm »

Perhaps I'm approaching the musings differently but, again my two pence, would it not be more 'logical' for Vikings to develop submarines that furthering longboats into larger, grander affairs ?

And as was mentioned before, airships do seem another plausible line of innovation and development.

Imagine that well-known film sequence with the Wagner accompaniment were such depicting waves of Norse airships coming over the horizon, with countless 'longboat's suspended under para-sails soon leaving such in the multitudes.

A bit mundane the original scene seems now having sword-wielding, armored berzerkers screaming, dragon-headed landing craft bearing such warriors in seemingly-endless numbers, as the battle is joined on some unsuspecting village.
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 03:13:32 pm »

As a steampagan, i heartily agreed with the concept of steampunk viking:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/081/0/2/Steampunk_Viking_Maiden_by_angie_macleod.png
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs43/f/2009/146/b/0/Steampunk_Viking_Crew_by_UndefinedScott.png
http://api.ning.com/files/4FkKQRYrOP8D3vf4P7XVgc5jQjAQeq*5MrhiLGb7BMps8W9B*BV13inOO4sGSPNUF2uZYBqS0b8rakT8Xti0gsuO8hK43np7/vikingsteampunk.jpg?width=514&height=600
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/81/59/d9/8159d912232e6941c9364a1bdb8b961b.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/131/d/f/Steampunk_Vikings_by_elanor_pam.jpg
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2012/128/c/d/red_hair_viking_girl_by_zgul_osr1113-d4yxhku.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/137/a/c/how_to_steampunk_your_dragon_by_cafcow-d3gji64.jpg
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/157/0/c/steampunk_viking_ship_by_miserybusiness1214-d52ha0b.jpg
https://slm-assets3.secondlife.com/assets/5582602/lightbox/Norse Punk Leather Skirt Sale Sign.jpg?1337196857
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9Wk3MMtVg

And because tis the season:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/356/4/e/steampunk_elsa_and_anna_by_aquilfab-d6yx4r9.jpg
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/288/d/1/steampunk_elsa_cosplay_frozen_by_missweirdcat-d82wf45.jpg
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/093/e/1/snowpunk__frozen__by_shamrob-d7cw8sx.png

And for music we can have....:
https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldOfOmnia

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 03:19:33 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 07:05:38 pm »

Yes . Much of the Viking  themed steampunk  has a Valkyrien  theme. It is all   "purely for artistic purposes "  I am sure

Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 07:28:17 pm »

Originally the Vikings did not have Steampunk, but they DID manage to loot it from an Irish monastery...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 07:54:25 pm »

Originally the Vikings did not have Steampunk, but they DID manage to loot it from an Irish monastery...

In true gothic style of course -then added their own flavour

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 08:53:57 pm »

What few people know is that the vikings worshipped Chtulu.

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 01:54:08 am »

I just remembered than How To Train Your Dragon 2 have lot of clockpunk elements:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCWJL6D1SZA

Also Air Raiders might be a good subtistute for Air Pirates.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 01:56:21 am by chicar » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 02:47:53 am »

Further to the beard post above

I like to think Viking warriors  had a groomed and distinguished side

jonb
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 12:37:44 pm »

Most of the posts have been in the direction of looking at the technological side of culture 'the Vikings had this thing which may have developed into. . .' But I would say the technology is less important just the fact that a culture thinks in a different way can of itself produce a different way of thinking and that may well produce different technologies.

Firstly I don't in myself accept the categories of Germanic, Scandinavian and Celtic peoples, in many ways these cultures are so close, the slight differences are little other than the outcome of slight regional, and time changes. Sorry I had to get that off my chest.

Now to the first part, the influence of religion on Technology.

'In the beginning was the Gap the great spinning void- Ginunngagap'
From the Norse creation myth.

This might well be the realisation that although 3 dimensional space is infinite without the fourth dimension of time it is dormant, unusable without time it cannot be connected or interact it is effectively nothing. The rotation or spinning represents time creating existence, and given this rotation it will create eddies in the flow which can condense into substance and the interaction of these eddies in the flow thus produce the matter from which we are formed. They might even have noticed that the action of rotation causes what we call torque and inertia.

This might lead them to look at the same thing as Professor Eric-Laithwaite did who's work was stamped on in the seventies. Bringing to them the idea that rotational movement converts space into time and thus can create a density of time. These western Europeans unencumbered by the more primitive Abrahamic religions might have been inspired by their interweaving artworks to start to understand the very structure of the cosmos and in so doing make the leap from longboats to spaceships without all the unpleasantness of carbon burning industrialisation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: